Vacation Pay after retirement

ladyups

Hi all....I retired after 27 3/4 years on Dec. 31st. 2011...I took my option week vacation the week between Christmas and New Years and then the rest of my 6 weeks were to be paid in a lump sum to me during the middle of January. I received the check today but was only paid for 180 hours instead of the 270 that I accrued. Has anyone else had trouble like this? I contacted Human Resources and was told to contact my manager, since he would have to do the payroll but he is in training and won't be back till after next week. I've also tried contacted my Local 41 business agent but no one answers the phone.

Anyone else had this problem and how did you go about fixing it.

Thanks!

downtime8763

I had heard of the same issues and know of one who never got a week or two that he was owed. I retires last March and took my seven weeks off then worked a few day at the end and made my last day Feb 28,2011.My issue was getting the paper work done as our local HR did nothing but give me phone numbers of UPS corporate office and the company that handles it. It took me from mid Dec till late Feb to get it worked out as I told them if it wasn't ok'd I was working into March.I kept records who and when I talked to and it helped a lot to say the least.Good luck and Happy retirement (me 36yrs 360 days)

JonFrum

Article 17 says all your vacation pay should be paid in advance of your vacation, and that the checks should be in the building for you to inspect the Monday of the week before you start your vacation. Why wasn't this procedure followed? It's specifically intended to catch missing or incorect vacation checks early enough to fix the problem before your vacation actually starts.

Article 23 says if you quit (which is kinda sorta like retireing) you get paid all monies owed on the payday of the week following your last day.

hembone

I had heard of the same issues and know of one who never got a week or two that he was owed. I retires last March and took my seven weeks off then worked a few day at the end and made my last day Feb 28,2011.My issue was getting the paper work done as our local HR did nothing but give me phone numbers of UPS corporate office and the company that handles it. It took me from mid Dec till late Feb to get it worked out as I told them if it wasn't ok'd I was working into March.I kept records who and when I talked to and it helped a lot to say the least.Good luck and Happy retirement (me 36yrs 360 days)
Have a good retirement, I got out Jan. 31, 2011.

ladyups

Well, its been 2 months and I've still not received all my vacation checks. I contacted HR when I received the 4 week vacation check and she told me that my manager would have to fix the problem. He sent in the information back the middle of Jan. and I've still not received the additional 2 week check. I contacted him last week and he re-submitted but I'm not holding my breath on it...I'm thinking UPS screwed me over after I gave them 100 percent for the 28 years. If I don't have something by the next 2 weeks, I'll be filing a grievance. This is basically a misunderstanding between management offices, I think...when I filed the application in Oct. for retirement, my HR personal told me that I was eligible for my full vacation and that they would be issued during the middle of January and I would not have to scedule the vacations. My manager thought I needed to schedule them and now, I'm thinking he was right and I should have just scheduled them for the first 6 weeks of the year. In my opinion, the management crew needs to have better guidelines to follow and all personnel should know the procedures. I'm thinking I can kiss that 2 weeks goodbye! I've contacted my union rep and he thought it would be fixed by the manager but it hasn't happened. I'm going to give HR another call this morning to see if there is something that can be done on their end. Thanks everyone...other than this issue, retirement is awesome!

hembone

Well, its been 2 months and I've still not received all my vacation checks. I contacted HR when I received the 4 week vacation check and she told me that my manager would have to fix the problem. He sent in the information back the middle of Jan. and I've still not received the additional 2 week check. I contacted him last week and he re-submitted but I'm not holding my breath on it...I'm thinking UPS screwed me over after I gave them 100 percent for the 28 years. If I don't have something by the next 2 weeks, I'll be filing a grievance. This is basically a misunderstanding between management offices, I think...when I filed the application in Oct. for retirement, my HR personal told me that I was eligible for my full vacation and that they would be issued during the middle of January and I would not have to scedule the vacations. My manager thought I needed to schedule them and now, I'm thinking he was right and I should have just scheduled them for the first 6 weeks of the year. In my opinion, the management crew needs to have better guidelines to follow and all personnel should know the procedures. I'm thinking I can kiss that 2 weeks goodbye! I've contacted my union rep and he thought it would be fixed by the manager but it hasn't happened. I'm going to give HR another call this morning to see if there is something that can be done on their end. Thanks everyone...other than this issue, retirement is awesome!
The same thing happened to a friend of mine who retired Oct. 2010. It took a while but he finally got the check. It was the managers mistake, also.

upsworm

I am planning on retiring in October of this year. I took my vacation last summer. I thought I was earning vacation for next year and would be paid for next years vacation after January. Am I going to loose all the vacation pay since I am not working until January? I've called a lot of people and no one person can answer all the questions about retirement.

fishtm2001

I am planning on retiring in October of this year. I took my vacation last summer. I thought I was earning vacation for next year and would be paid for next years vacation after January. Am I going to loose all the vacation pay since I am not working until January? I've called a lot of people and no one person can answer all the questions about retirement.
I was told I can't "double dip" meaning if you are receiving vacation pay you are still employed and thus not eligible for your pension check.

Will they pay them out early if you retire, or wait until the beginning of the year? Sweet if they'll pay early. We earn, but can't take until the next year.
They pay you when you retire. Im sure its an advantage for the company. they write you off the books. and probably dont pay that money into the pension.

oldngray

nowhere special
You just schedule your unused vacations before you officially retire. Here you get the next years vacations on Jan 1 so you just need to work 1 day in January, then take all of your vacation weeks and retire in mid Feb.

upschuck

You just schedule your unused vacations before you officially retire. Here you get the next years vacations on Jan 1 so you just need to work 1 day in January, then take all of your vacation weeks and retire in mid Feb.
That is what everyone does here. That's how most people find out people are retiring when they block all their vacation at the beginning of the year.

Evidently Ive can retire in Nov and still get paid their accrued vacations, saving their bodies from one more peak. That I like.

upsworm

My HR said that you start accumulating vacation hours from the day of your employment. If you work enough hours, then you get the weeks according to the hours you earn. In other words, if you work 1250 hours, you get 100 percent of your vacation pay. Since my original hire date is in March, but my full time hire date is in October and I am planning on retiring in November, they tell me that I haven't earned any vacation. If you work through peak in Jan 1st, you pick up your optional week. Of course I've talked to many different people and have gotten a lot of different answers. The retirement calculator also says that I will not get my full retirement because it is based on hours worked. HR and Atlanta tells me that all I need is 40 weeks sine I have 30 full-time years.

I took all of my vacation and sick days which was about 18 weeks between January-April. I retired in May. In June I got another vacation check which was for accumulated vacation time for 2015. I accumulated vacation time from January to May for the 2015 calendar year.