Vacation picks

muzzbrown

We just picked vacations. Was ours the only center that cut back on weeks? We had 8 senior guys leave so I figured that my picks would get better. Instead they got way worse. I have 5 years seniority and my best week last year was the first week of June. This year it's the first week of May.

I have 25 in next year and my best is the third week of May. If they`re not following the contract as far as vacation picks then bring it to the attention of your steward.

DS

Fenderbender
I have 20 years in and I can basically take whatever I want.#11 on the seniority list.
This is a great Idea for a thread muzzbrown.
How do you senior drivers decide the best weeks?I personally HATE the school planners,and yearbooks So the first and last week of school is one of my choices.
Does anyone take it by just doing extended weekends every week? Some guys like to take the week between Christmas and new years because it's a pain doing 3 routes in one every day.I love the spring,so I usually grab a week in April or May .What do you guys do?

bumped

We just picked vacations. Was ours the only center that cut back on weeks? We had 8 senior guys leave so I figured that my picks would get better. Instead they got way worse. I have 5 years seniority and my best week last year was the first week of June. This year it's the first week of May.

So, you had 8 guys leave. Did they replace those guys? If not , then the threshold of weekly vacations might have went down. With that, and maybe a few more employees getting an extra week caused you to get less desirable vacation picks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DS, when I had my rural area, which had two summer camps, I would take the weeks off when the kids moved in and then out. Now I take weeks that have holidays to get the extra pay. I have taken the week of Thanksgiving off for the past two years--I like that 61 hour paycheck. I am #9 so also have no problem getting the weeks that I want.

This year I will be taking the first week of July for my daughter's wedding.

browniehound

Since we are the subject, I was kicking around the idea of taking 4 weeks in a row in Jan or Feb. I know it sounds odd, but I hate the winter and would rather work the summer months when its a pleasure to be outside. I was thinking maybe a 3 week getaway somewhere in the tropics. Its nice to dream...

dillweed

We have one yard worker who takes all six weeks at one time. I have enough seniority to get what I want so I take birthday week and all the holidays. It spreads them out to about one every two months.

retired2000

i think the contract says ups has to allow a certain pct of workers go ea. week so if those 8 people were not replaced that would lower your pct ea. week

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i think the contract says ups has to allow a certain pct of workers go ea. week so if those 8 people were not replaced that would lower your pct ea. week

This is addressed in Article 60, Section 3. It is 20% during June, July and August, and 15% the rest of the year of bid jobs exclusive of bid cover jobs.

retired, can you get me two tickets to a Syracuse mens basketball game?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm #38 in my center and usually get most of what I want for vacation picks. I take my birthday week in March, the last week in October for Halloween so i can take my kids trick or treating, then I usually try for the week before Memorial Day and the week before Labor Day so that I get teh following Monday off as well and have 10 days off instead of 9. I usually don't like to take summer weeks cause it's too friggin' hot to do anything and I would rather be working than complaining about how hot it is at home.
I never understood the taking the week off with a paid holiday within it. I understand that you get an "extra" days pay but you really don't. You're going to get paid for that day no matter what. To me you are robbing yourself of an extra day off of work. UPS gives you 8 paid holidays, why not enjoy them seperately. Plus it's too damn expensive to go anywhere over a holiday anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To each his own--I prefer to have the extra pay as opposed to an additional day off.

Thanksgiving week my check was 61 hours--45 hours vacation and 16 hours holiday. My net was $1,164.

I'm #38 in my center and usually get most of what I want for vacation picks. I take my birthday week in March, the last week in October for Halloween so i can take my kids trick or treating, then I usually try for the week before Memorial Day and the week before Labor Day so that I get teh following Monday off as well and have 10 days off instead of 9. I usually don't like to take summer weeks cause it's too friggin' hot to do anything and I would rather be working than complaining about how hot it is at home.
I never understood the taking the week off with a paid holiday within it. I understand that you get an "extra" days pay but you really don't. You're going to get paid for that day no matter what. To me you are robbing yourself of an extra day off of work. UPS gives you 8 paid holidays, why not enjoy them seperately. Plus it's too damn expensive to go anywhere over a holiday anyway.

In our book you can take the extra days pay, take the Fri before or Mon after, or save the day and use it like an optional day. The highest seniority guys take the holiday weeks and put together another week with the saved days.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I try to spred my six weeks out equally all through the year, and take a couple of extra weeks off in the Summer when the heat is really bad. I like to take the week off before a holiday too so that I will be off work ten days straight instead of nine. I think I am third on my Center's seniority list, so I get first pick. I will never understand the guy on the route next to me, he always takes all of his six weeks off at once.

over9five

Staff member
I try to spred my six weeks out equally all through the year, and take a couple of extra weeks off in the Summer when the heat is really bad. I like to take the week off before a holiday too so that I will be off work ten days straight instead of nine. I think I am third on my Center's seniority list, so I get first pick. I will never understand the guy on the route next to me, he always takes all of his six weeks off at once.

LOL, the guy next to me too. It must be a hard first day back!

UPSGUY72

The number of weeks that are open depends on the number of drivers and the totally number of weeks that they have combined to use. They also can only let so many drivers take vacation at a given time.

Your problem is most likey do to the fact that other drivers above you picked different vacation weeks than last year.

browniehound

I'm glad you brought this point up as I can see it either way. I took Thanksgiving week off this year and got the 2 extra days pay. I may have felt a little robbed of the 4-day week-end but it was good to rest for the week before peak and that 7-day paycheck came in handy for Christmas presents.

Call me crazy but I always take option 2 (I don't know anyone else who does? Anyone?) which allows you to be paid 5 sick days to be paid during any vacation period you choose. So when I go on vacation that first week I get 3 checks: the vaca check, the regular paycheck, and the option-sick check. And then I go to vegas and put the whole thing on black, lol.