Vacation question

Mr. Marshall

So here is my situation (I am in the Central States region if it matters). I worked at UPS for a little over a year and then I quit for 4 months before coming back to the company. At the time I lost my raise and seniority etc. but lately I have been wondering if that year should count towards vacation time that I earn. I'm presently 2 years away from gaining a 5th week based solely on my second stint at UPS but my question is it 5 weeks (4 plus an option) after 15 years consecutive years or 15 years of total service which would put me one year closer to 15 years.

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

Mr. Marshall

I'm not asking about seniority I'm asking about service time needed to gain vacation weeks. Does the contract say consecutive years or after 15 years of total service? I do know that the year counts towards my pension because I just received the mailing from the union and that first year is in my vested total years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Because he wants it to.
Actually it's a good question. Say I'm a ten year driver and have to move but work out a deal where I quit on Friday and start at a new center on Monday.

Do I lose all vacation? Do I have to go thru progression again?

I realize you would be at the bottom for vacations and everything but company time is company time.

Indecisi0n

Actually it's a good question. Say I'm a ten year driver and have to move but work out a deal where I quit on Friday and start at a new center on Monday.

I realize you would be at the bottom for vacations and everything but company time is company time.

If you quit then get rehired then your a new employee starting from the bottom like any new guy(IMO). If you transfer that's a different story.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

But, one would think, if he has 15 years in since he was re-hired that he would have asked this question before now.

I believe his company time started at his re-hire date.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you quit then get rehired then your a new employee starting from the bottom like any new guy(IMO). If you transfer that's a different story.

There are provisions for a break in service such as the one BS described in which you would retain your company seniority for vacation purposes. I would think a 4 month break would not qualify and the clock would reset.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
But, one would think, if he has 15 years in since he was re-hired that he would have asked this question before now.

I believe his company time started at his re-hire date.
No doubt he should of brought it up earlier. I was reading and was like 15 years wow. Would of brought this up sooner.

Mr. Marshall

I'm not sure why it's a ridiculous question as someone mentioned that company time is company time and the reason I thought of it now as I realized I am getting pension credit for that first year. I've been with the company for 1 year and now 13 additional and honestly up until I became a combo about 3 years ago I never really considered this a career so I never gave it all that much thought :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not sure why it's a ridiculous question as someone mentioned that company time is company time and the reason I thought of it now as I realized I am getting pension credit for that first year. I've been with the company for 1 year and now 13 additional and honestly up until I became a combo about 3 years ago I never really considered this a career so I never gave it all that much thought :)

As I wrote above, there are provisions for break in service in regard to company time for vacation weeks and selection; however, I would have to think that a 4 month break may be too long and that you may have lost a year of credit. My next stop would be a visit to my HR person.

Johney

There is a guy in our building who had 10 years in N.Y. moved here and was rehired. While he did retain his Teamster/Union time of 10 years he had to start company time all over as far as seniority and vacations.

oldngray

nowhere special
There is a guy in our building who had 10 years in N.Y. moved here and was rehired. While he did retain his Teamster/Union time of 10 years he had to start company time all over as far as seniority and vacations.
We had a girl who quit and came back about a year later. She kept her pension credit but went back to bottom of seniority list.