Vacation selection (Summer weeks)

over9five

Staff member
Is it fair to change things for the driver who has put in his time, and would now lose weeks he wanted to a less senior man?

upsgrunt

Here's another question regarding vacation/sick/personal/option days:

Do you think we as employees should be given the right to donate any of the above to a fellow hourly who has been out of work for an extended period of time due to an off the job injury or illness?

Yes, I do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is it fair to change things for the driver who has put in his time, and would now lose weeks he wanted to a less senior man?

Over, nothing is going to change as a result of this thread. There has been good discussion on both sides of the issue. We have all been there and all could not wait to be where we are now.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Do you think we as employees should be given the right to donate any of the above to a fellow hourly who has been out of work for an extended period of time due to an off the job injury or illness?

Yes.

over9five

Staff member

Yes, provided it does not become like UW and 100% participation is expected.

DorkHead

Upstate, I know you understand and benefit from the concept of seniority. So in all fairness would you be willing to give up your bid route and be a cover driver for 2 or 3 yrs.?

My fathers company used a plan similar to Sobers idea. They started top to bottom with everyone picking two weeks and then back to the top for another round. The senior guy still got what they wanted as they had first shot,lower seniority guys had a more diverse choice of weeks. What it did was force everyone to take the week they absolutely had to have and,possibly,give up weeks that were less important to them at least.

On the flip side there`s nothing in the contract preventing a senior employee from say picking two of his weeks and then letting everyone junior pick theirs before the senior person picks their rest. In case anyone out there was feeling noble or anything.

As far as this "donation",would it be into a pool of days for anyone to apply for their use in a time of need? Or would it be "Hey. good guy Joe needs our help. i`ll give him a week of my time." " Hey bad guy Klein is in trouble again. He can twist in the wind" ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As far as this "donation",would it be into a pool of days for anyone to apply for their use in a time of need? Or would it be "Hey. good guy Joe needs our help. i`ll give him a week of my time." " Hey bad guy Klein is in trouble again. He can twist in the wind" ?

It would be to one person in a time of need. I would never simply donate it to a pool of days to be used by anyone.

I thought about this because this is something our local prison guards do. They will donate personal time to one of their co-workers during a time of need.

It would be to one person in a time of need. I would never simply donate it to a pool of days to be used by anyone.

I thought about this because this is something our local prison guards do. They will donate personal time to one of their co-workers during a time of need.

If it was truly a matter of caring for the fellow driver it should be for everyone and not a popularity contest. I`d be happy to donate the pay for the day but I`d still want a day off,unpaid.

upsgrunt

If it was truly a matter of caring for the fellow driver it should be for everyone and not a popularity contest. I`d be happy to donate the pay for the day but I`d still want a day off,unpaid.

If you were going to do that, why couldn't you just write the guy a check for what you would have made for the day and leave everything else alone?

brownboxman

Ok good discussion, that was a good point that senior drivers would loose something if a new system was started. But I feel there needs to be a progression towards a different system. Here is another view on the whole point, if we held the same standards to wages, as some have held to vacations, "I earned it I want more of the wages, I get $40 per hr and you(lower seniority)get $20. I earned it!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
He is not boo hooin--he probably has more time in the game than you do. He is making a valid point.

no,, he doesnt,,i could retire with central states partial crap plan now,, anyways if you so concerned give up your vacation time to less senior people ,, ask them if they want your week before you take it