Vacation senior driver question

instantK

Vacations picks are coming up in a month or something
Im a new driver and can usually only get jan - april off...

Am I allowed to ask one of the senior drivers to pick a week of vacation for me in the summer months and i would pick a month he wants in jan.-mar..... then we just swap, i take his summer pick and he takes my winter pick

i really need of a week in the summer but i wont be able to get it because of my low seniorty.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
No...it's the same as cutting in line. It goes by seniority unfortunately. Your best bet would be to see if you can take an option day or two for the time you want off.

Uh, no.
Plus the minute anyone higher than you found out they would take that summer week away from you anyway. Working your way up the board sucks but it is what it is.

packageguy

I don't think that's going to happen, Not fair to the other drivers who have more time than you also want a summer month. Good luck But they'll be a lot of pissed off guys.

instantK

this is what i Figured but thought it was worth a shot....

i'll just explain to my sup. that i really need to take off and give him a 6 month notice hopefully he is ok with it

not sure a reason matter but its for my brothers wedding which is out of state (im in the wedding)

UPSGUY72

You could switch weekday with a more senior drive but you would have to ask all the drivers between you and person your switching with if they want that week.

Vacations picks are coming up in a month or something
Im a new driver and can usually only get jan - april off...

Am I allowed to ask one of the senior drivers to pick a week of vacation for me in the summer months and i would pick a month he wants in jan.-mar..... then we just swap, i take his summer pick and he takes my winter pick

i really need of a week in the summer but i wont be able to get it because of my low seniorty.
nope that's not how it works.

iruhnman630

You're pretty much out of luck.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to each and every driver above you who wants that week and explain the situation.

But as far as pulling a switch with a higher driver, I know I would be pretty pissed if someone below me got a good week that I couldn't because a driver higher than me claimed it then gave it away.

QKRSTKR

No offense but last time I checked a wedding isn't a week long. Save option days and call off if you have to. I could understand needing a day off or so for travel, but the whole week.

Notretiredyet

Take a week as SVD, use three of them for the wedding. If they deny you the days off, call in sick for two days reason, you have personal business to attend to. Keep your attendance clean till then and it won't be an issue.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I've seen it done too. But it usually involved the exchange of significant coinage. And very quietly. And a mgmnt team that didn't give a hoot.

That's how it's done here as well... except that management knows about the coinage - wink, wink.

Our building completes our vacation selection in October, surprised to hear it's not uniform.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've seen it done too. But it usually involved the exchange of significant coinage. And very quietly. And a mgmnt team that didn't give a hoot.

That's how it's done here as well... except that management knows about the coinage - wink, wink.

Our building completes our vacation selection in October, surprised to hear it's not uniform.

I must have a good building as far as this goes. Pretty much ask an older driver that you know well if he will take a week of vacation for u. Once you find one that will you take a vacation week that he wants. A few weeks before the first vacation to be switched you just tell the center manager your switching vacations with so and so. Yes here it's easy as that.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I must have a good building as far as this goes. Pretty much ask an older driver that you know well if he will take a week of vacation for u. Once you find one that will you take a vacation week that he wants. A few weeks before the first vacation to be switched you just tell the center manager your switching vacations with so and so. Yes here it's easy as that.

Not gonna happen here. You wait your turn.

rod

Retired 22 years
We traded vacations all the time--especially when a senior driver had had enough of winter and wanted to take a vacation to a warmer climate. You could always find a junior employee who wanted a summer week off. About the only times that were never trade were deer hunting season and opening week of fishing. I'm sure working out of a small center as compared to a large one could make a difference.