Vacation senior driver question

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There's also language in the contract that says if none of the younger guys are getting summer vacation then everyone picks half their vacations first. Then you back thru and pick the rest of your vacations. I don't know of Anywhere that actually does this though.

rod

Retired 22 years
There's also language in the contract that says if none of the younger guys are getting summer vacation then everyone picks half their vacations first. Then you back thru and pick the rest of your vacations. I don't know of Anywhere that actually does this though.

Never heard of that----not saying its not true--just that I've never heard of it. Is it in the National Contract or just a local rider?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

A friend and I were talking about this the other day. He went into driving two years ago and has 5 weeks vacation (CS gives up sick days for an extra week of vacation) -- but there were only five weeks left to select from. Management had tried to impose the language designed to give summer vacations to junior drivers, but the senior guys revolted and Management relented. (And the 40-year guys who were most upset typically WORK THROUGH some of their summer vacations). We were wondering if our building was the only one who ignored that language... guess not!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Never heard of that----not saying its not true--just that I've never heard of it. Is it in the National Contract or just a local rider?

It's in the CS rider:

In areas where employees have a problem getting summer vacations
because of the seventeen percent (17%) limitation, the following
procedure may be adopted with the approval of the local union.
Vacation selection (including the option week) shall be in two (2)
segments. During the first (1st) segment, employees in seniority
order will be allowed to select the following number of weeks.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

In our local this can be brought up for a vote. Every driver would pick one week of vacation by seniority top to bottom and then pick the rest as normally done. Hasn't happened in our building. I enjoyed my March and November vacations for many years.

Brownslave688

It's in the CS rider:

In areas where employees have a problem getting summer vacations
because of the seventeen percent (17%) limitation, the following
procedure may be adopted with the approval of the local union.
Vacation selection (including the option week) shall be in two (2)
segments. During the first (1st) segment, employees in seniority
order will be allowed to select the following number of weeks.

I brought this up and our Christmas party and some of the older guys went nuts. We put in our time blah blah blah. I just don't understand why it isn't automatically done this way. Lets be honest rarely does anyone NEED more than 2-3 specific weeks off.

Buck Fifty

Vacations picks are coming up in a month or something
Im a new driver and can usually only get jan - april off...

Am I allowed to ask one of the senior drivers to pick a week of vacation for me in the summer months and i would pick a month he wants in jan.-mar..... then we just swap, i take his summer pick and he takes my winter pick

i really need of a week in the summer but i wont be able to get it because of my low seniorty.

Don't do Drugs. Just Say NO. You can do it without the drug deal. There are some good solutions here.

I brought this up and our Christmas party and some of the older guys went nuts. We put in our time blah blah blah. I just don't understand why it isn't automatically done this way. Lets be honest rarely does anyone NEED more than 2-3 specific weeks off.

But those who can have EARNED it.

Brownslave688

But those who can have EARNED it.

How about quite being so bitter that you didn't get summer vacations when u were young and man up and support change for the better. Not u specifically u as in all older drivers.

How about quite being so bitter that you didn't get summer vacations when u were young and man up and support change for the better. Not u specifically u as in all older drivers.
I have manned up.. Manned up in my respect for someone who has paid his dues for 40 years to my 27.

Last year was the first in 12 that I got a week of vacation between 6/1 and 9/1. This year thanks to a run of retirements I got 3 in June. It is what it is.

However, I fully support switching to a vacation bidding process consisting of 2 weeks chosen at a time for each pass down the board. Higher seniority drivers will still get first shot at their choices but will have to decide what ones are the most important to them and choose accordingly.

When you can talk the union into such a change let me know and I'll vote for it. Until then.........

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

However, I fully support switching to a vacation bidding process consisting of 2 weeks chosen at a time for each pass down the board. Higher seniority drivers will still get first shot at their choices but will have to decide what ones are the most important to them and choose accordingly.

I agree with this, although I would change it to 3 weeks. We are in the process of selecting our vacations and there are already a few weeks that have been closed. Choose 3 weeks, go through the list and then choose the remaining weeks. This may allow the younger drivers, who normally have younger kids, to be able to take vacations when the kids are on their school breaks or during the summer. It takes us about a month to complete the vacation calendar so this change could double that.