Vacation spots

satellitedriver

Done! Me, you, and Satellite. It'll be like Beerfest or maybe Hostel?
While driving a 45 mile round trip ,on back Texas roads, to deliver a nxda, I thought about that trip.
I read an article about UPS converting our airplanes into passenger charter flights on the weekend several years back.(I don't know if they still do that)
That's when my evil twin had the idea of booking a "Brown Cafe" flight.
I can see it it my minds eye.
Cheryl would be the Head Flight attendent telling us to put our trays in the upright position and our seat belts on.
Moreluck would be in charge of inflight meals.
Tie would be along as a company representive.
Toonertoo would be in charge of security.
I would be the loud drunk in first class.
Diadlover would be the in flight entertainment.
Engineer79 would be there to make sure everything is running properly.
1 Trick, just because.
The most important person would be Finacial Planner. He could devise a way for each of use to bring home a sales lead and deduct the trip as a business expense.
Alot more people I would like to add to the list, but it is getting late.
It was a fun idea to play with ,while my skinny posterior bounced down the road.
PAX

moreluck

golden ticket member
I want to trade with diad......I can do 15 mins. of standup. This is too much like the camping trips...I had to cook on those too.

Please get me out of the kitchen!! Galley !! or whatever you call it. :crying:

satellitedriver

I want to trade with diad......I can do 15 mins. of standup. This is too much like the camping trips...I had to cook on those too.

Please get me out of the kitchen!! Galley !! or whatever you call it. :crying:
It's a long trip. We could take turns. I earned my cooking merit badge in the boy scouts. But, I refuse to give up my position as the loud drunk in first class.

wyobill

Wakyzachy
Togwotee lodge I believe comes out of Riverton. That would not be me. I delivered the Interior of Yellowstone for several summers. May thru October. I think every ups employee that
visited the Park and saw me delivering would come up to say hi. The best months to visit the Park is May, Sept and Oct.
June,July,and August can be very busy. The NE entrance
is beautiful and tends to get less traffic.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I went to Hershey Park with my family awhile back and was completely amazed at the difference in taste there is in "fresh" Hershey bars you got at the end of the tour and ones that you get at your grocery stores. Fresh is best! .

The ones you get at the end of the tour aren't truely as "fresh" as you think they are. They have been sitting in a warehouse for a little while, just not near as long as the ones in the Quickie Mart on the corner. I have a friend who works for Hershey Foods and she gets us the really fresh stuff and it is amazing Especially really fresh Twizzlers. They are sooooooo good.

Raw

Raw Member
Thats a tough one, let me think....well I live in Clearwater Florida area.....on the gulf coast....gulf of mexico.....short drive to most anywhere in Florida.....I dunno!:cool:

old levi's

blank space
Haven't been on vacation for at least 25 years. Did go on a cruise one time. Lasted 4 years with an extended stay in the Gulf of Tonkin. Very hot and lots of sea snakes.The food was terrible and you had to wait in line 30 to 45 minutes every time you ate. Breakfast, lunch, and supper. That was truly a once in a lifetime experience.

browniehound

I like San Diego. For families there is a fantastic zoo, Sea World, Balboa Park, the Wild Animal Park, Coronado Island, and several museums. Mexico is 20 minutes away and you can drive to L.A. in 2 hours or Disneyland in 1 1/2...

For adults the gas lamp district downtown has great nightlife and the Old Globe theater is a nice place if you like live theater. There are lots of restaurants and the downtown area is clean and sits right on the water across from Coronado Island so there are some really nice views.

Even though it's only an hour from our house we like San Diego so well that we spent Christmas Eve at the Hotel Del Coronado. I just love that whole area...

Cheryl,
I love San Diego also. Its a great city. I stayed in Pacific Beach last time I was there and had a blast!
More locally, during the summer, I love the state of Maine. Specifically Rangley lake. I hasn't become over crowded like most vacation spots in NH yet. You can pull over the side of the road and look at the mountains and not hear a noise made by humans. Its awesome.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I like the North Georgia mountains or any place on the Gulf of Mexico if I am looking for anything near by. Orange Beach or Gulf Shores, Alabama are some of my favorites, the white sand and warm water are hard to beat.

One of my favorite vacations was a few years ago when as a Scout leader we took our troop to Yellowstone and hiked 53 mile to win our "Fifty Miler Award". We set up a base camp at the Madison Campgrounds and would hike a different part of the park everyday. Canyon, geysers, mountains, and herds of buffalo and mule deer everywhere. Beautiful country, I wish my scanner would work, I shot twelve rolls of film. I'm thinking of going back next year.

This July, we are going back to Hawaii for the third time. We like the North Shore area, places like Waimea Bay, Bonsai Pipeline, and Sunset Beach. Its not crowded up there like Honolulu and Waikiki. We stayed in a condo in Waianae last time for a fraction of a hotel room in Honolulu. We stayed in the Princess 1 and we rented it again. Here's a link: Affordable Beachfront Condos Makaha Waianae Coast Oahu HI

over9five

Staff member
My favorite birthday I was lying on a beach in Cozumel.....

That's all I did....

Except for a short walk to the beach buffet....

It was awesome.

my2cents

I ventured off to Australia last year and can't wait to go back. My touring started in Alice Springs where I visited the icons of the Red Centre, namely - Uluru (a.k.a Ayers Rock), Kata Tjutu (the Olgas), and Watarrka (Kings Canyon). The landscape is spectacular and even the birds and trees are totally different from up here in North America. I fell asleep to the call of the dingo, while snuggled up in a swag in the outback and woke up to the most musical bird I have ever heard, which I believe was a pied butcherbird. Alice Springs also has great bush walks and the essential junction for hitting the trails is near the Alice Springs Telegraph Station. I managed to see a kangaroo, which I believe was about as tall as I am, and I'm 6-1. The marsupial was about a 100 yards off the trail, but a fairly intimidating sight nevertheless. I wouldn't mind going to go back to Alice just to bush walk at least part of the Larapinta Trail. Uluru and Kata Tjutu are very spiritual places, even if one is not the religious type. After visiting, one can understand the spiritual and cultural significance the local aboriginals place in them.

From there it was off to Broome in Western Australia where I paid a visit to Cable Beach and Gantheaume Point. Beach lovers won't be disappointed, although be sure to check the sign posted on the walkway to the beach for any jellyfish warnings. Broome also serves as a gateway to the Kimberley region of Western Australia, where more fantastic landscape lies throughout. I flew over some of this landscape on my way out enroute to Darwin and immediately knew I'm going to have to make a return trip to explore this region. The plane made a pit stop in Kununurra, which is the base for checking out the Bungles.

Darwin served as my base for visiting Kakadu, which was made internationally famous by filming parts of "Crocodile Dundee" in the area. Movie buffs will probably want to visit the Adelaide River Inn to see "Charlie" the water buffalo, who resides there and the bar itself was featured in the film. Kakadu is the Australian version of America's Yellowstone, where dramatic and various landscapes contain unique species of birds and the star attraction, the crocs. The croc spotting tours are worth it. Chances are you will see some pretty good sized ones hanging out along the river bank or billabong. In addition, aboriginal culture has a very strong influence here as well. There are aboriginal rock art sites in the park and the aboriginals govern their own exclusive traditional land, known as "Arnhem Land." This will be my excuse for returning to this area because I didn't have the time to visit Arnhem Land. A couple of other areas worth checking out are Litchfield National Park, famous for its magnetic termite mounds, and Nitmiluk National Park (Katherine Gorge), where one can hire a kayak and paddle through a series of scenic gorges. Oh, I almost forgot, when in Darwin try to visit the Mindal Beach Sunset Markets or if you can't, dine on fresh barramundi. Best tasting fish I ever ate.

From Darwin, it was on to Cairns for my adventures on the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest. I went on a couple of cruises. The first was out of Port Douglas (which has its own awesome beach) on Quicksilver. There is all sorts of stuff to do once out on the moored pontoon on Agincourt Reef. One can snorkel, dive, take a ride on a semi-sub, take a helicopter ride or even try seawalking. I took the helicopter and semi-sub rides, and did a bit of snorkeling. The coral and the fish seem surreal, even though its the real thing. On my second reef trip, I went out of Cairns on a day trip to Green Island on Great Adventures. This time I went on a glass bottom boat ride, had a go at seawalking and hiked around on Green Island checking out the beach and rain forest. If you haven't tried seawalking and wish to try it, its worth it. Picture yourself walking the seafloor with a fishbowl on your head. You can even stick your hand up under the helmet to scratch your face or to pinch your nose to adjust to the water pressure. The instructor told me seawalking is the precursor to diving.

There's plenty to do in the Daintree National Park area. There are two sections of the park, which is roughly bisected by the Daintree River, and yes, loaded with crocs. On the Mossman side one can pay an educational visit to the Kuku Yalanji before continuing up the road to Mossman Gorge. The bushwalk through the rainforest with the aboriginal guide was very informative. One learns how the aboriginals live in harmony with the rainforest. Once crossing the Daintree River on the ferry one lands in a unique world, known as Cape Tribulation, which was named by Captain Cook after his ship became lodged on the Great Barrier Reef. There are great bushwalks and beaches branching off from the sealed road from the river ferry to the end of Cape Tribulation village where the road becomes unsealed. In this regard, I took a tour up this road, which leads up to Cooktown. Cooktown itself was named after the famous explorer and sports a pioneering spirit, which is a combination of the town's history and its remoteness, especially during the wet season. While on the Cape Trib, its also almost mandatory to stop at the exhaustive Daintree Discovery Centre. Everything you want to know about the rainforest is in there. Upon exiting Daintree and heading back towards Cairns, the Kuranda Scenic Railway, combined with a visit to the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park makes for a great day trip. I also managed to pack in a 2 day kayaking trip out to Snapper Island, which is a good place to camp, kayak and snorkel.

Anyway, I'm in the planning stage for my return trip to the Land of Oz early next year. I'm currently working on an itinerary which will include Tasmania, Kangaroo Island, the Barossa Valley, Melbourne, Sydney and Fraser Island. Once this trip is completed, I hope to go to New Zealand and do more concentrated Australian touring. I could easily find ways to spend vacations for the next ten years heading down under.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Scratch_king....we have a house in Waianae in Pualani By The Sea. Our daughter and grandson live in it. We usually stay at either the Ihilani or Ko'Olina......I like the luxury. BUT, we always take the drive to the N. Shore areas to eat at the shrimp wagons over there. Always stop at Dole plantation....for the pineapple ice cream and my kona coffee hard candies.

I also don't care much for Honolulu and hang out in the Kopalei area. The airport is our only dealing with Honolulu.