Vacation spots

stacy

Man, I'm jealous! That's my dream vacation but I gotta wait for the kids to grow up! Austrailia sure looks like it would be a great time.

DS

Fenderbender
Man that Australian holiday sounds like a blast!
but I cant afford that.In my world anyway.
If you ever get a chance to visit Quebec city,
Its like going back in time ,I recommend it ...
George Washington wanted to take it,but
we stopped him on the "plains of abraham"
lots of history and buildings around the walled city.
not much has changed since the 1770`s there.

pkgdriver

Yep Moreluck the shrimp trucks are usually a good choice.

Teds Bakery near Sunset beach had a great bento/box lunch and excellent pies. Got to see the 1st surfing contest of the season there also last October.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I spent a week is Seattle,Wa. Great place to explore, visit the EMP (Paul Allen's Co-Founder of Microsoft) a mini "Rock and Roll: Hall of Fame, Tour Boeing's Everett Plant where they make airplanes..awesome! Catch a ballgame at Safeco Field. Good Food and of course the Coffee!!

And remember from there you could always drive up to Canada (went there for the World's Fair).

my2cents

No need to be jealous Stacy. Australia can be done on a budget if one is willing to spend some time researching. Good deals can be had on the airfare as well. I spent just over $1000 on my plane ticket from LAX to Brisbane, which was a direct flight. I used a frequent flyer ticket to get myself to LA, which was extra cash to spend on something else. In addition, there should be more carrier choices for flying directly to Australia in 2008. As it stands now, United and Qantas are the only two carriers who fly direct between the US and Australia. Virgin is currently positioning itself to start flying these routes in 2008. The only thing standing in its way is the red tape. I'm also pretty sure Cathay Pacific wants to fly these routes to, although I'm not sure what their status is at the moment. I flew Qantas and really feel comfortable flying with them. They have the international flights down to a science. Their Australian domestic service is also great. If you want to spend three weeks in Australia and hit a few places and want to keep it simple, you may consider looking into their "Boomerang Air Pass," although its possible you could purchase all your tickets separately and come out ahead.

In terms of accommodation and tours, I believe you will find a sizable part of the Australian travel industry is dedicated to the budget-minded traveler. Speaking for myself, I skimped a bit on accommodation, although I was willing to splurge somewhat on things like helicopter rides. About the only thing I do when staying in booked accommodation is sleep, check email and do the weekly load of laundry. The tours I booked were also pretty reasonably priced. I went on a couple of 4WD safari tours for my Northern Territory touring. As an added bonus, I also enjoyed the company of my fellow travelers in our groups. We had some great discussions around the night campfire, which were discussions I know I couldn't have back home. You meet a pretty diverse international group of people. Overall, my touring was a mixture of traveling with tour groups, venturing off on my own and doing some stuff with my relatives who live near the Brisbane area. In this regard, I was able to visit the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast and places like Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo.

Even though I haven't been to Quebec City, I've seen pictures of it in brochures and you won't find me arguing with your claims DS. Someday, I'll have to find a way to get there. If you ever decide to visit Australia, I think you will find similarities between Canada and Australia. In the most general sense, if I had to compare Australia to another country, my first response would be Canada.

browniehound

Even though I haven't been to Quebec City, I've seen pictures of it in brochures and you won't find me arguing with your claims DS. Someday, I'll have to find a way to get there. If you ever decide to visit Australia, I think you will find similarities between Canada and Australia. In the most general sense, if I had to compare Australia to another country, my first response would be Canada.

I forgot. I love Canada also. I live about 5 hours from Montreal. This is a beautiful city. It was especially fun when I was in college and there would be "college party weekends" promoted in Novemeber from travel agencys around my school. Drinking age in Canada is 18, so this worked out great fro me when I was a freshman. I think I was in Montreal about 4 times my first 2 years of college. I know the french-canadians hate us Americans, but I still had a blast while I was there and being more mature now and loooking back, Montreal is a world-class city and I would definitely recommend it to anyone of any age who wants to visit it.

I plan on visiting Toronto to see a Red Sox-Blue Jays game this summer. I hear Toronto is a great city also and am looking forward this. I hear our friends up north are more friendy in Toronto than in the french part of Cananda. We shall see I quess.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
How can people eat that crap. My father-in-law puts it in shishkabobs on the grill. I do like staying on the grounds at Disney World. (Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, Pop Century). I can take the bus back to the room after a couple 32oz Becks at Germany in EPCOT.

AYE!! The silly waitress chuckled to herself when I ordered the GIANT beer at Biergarten. She said "Are you sure? It's really big..." She didn't laugh when i ordered the 3rd one. She did however laugh, when I only had a few gulps of it, followed by my wife helping me walk out of the establishment :blush:

Sammie

with sky high gas prices now days, i don't think i can go anywhere driving.

But if you fill up enough, this is what you're paying for every time you're spending that paycheck at the pump.

Didn't someone have a list going somewhere where Moreluck was the bartender, Diadlover was the director of activities......

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
I like San Diego. For families there is a fantastic zoo, Sea World, Balboa Park, the Wild Animal Park, Coronado Island, and several museums. Mexico is 20 minutes away and you can drive to L.A. in 2 hours or Disneyland in 1 1/2...

For adults the gas lamp district downtown has great nightlife and the Old Globe theater is a nice place if you like live theater. There are lots of restaurants and the downtown area is clean and sits right on the water across from Coronado Island so there are some really nice views.

Even though it's only an hour from our house we like San Diego so well that we spent Christmas Eve at the Hotel Del Coronado. I just love that whole area...

My sons there this week having a blast.

Pip

the Smokey Mountians down in Tennessee are always a favorite for me, The Ozarks, Yellowstone National park, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine are always great to go in the fall. Canada has some beautiful country to see and the people are always friendly.

DS

Fenderbender
I totally forgot about this thread till my2cents brought it up again.
Heres my story about San Diego.I took a trip by bus from Toronto to California back in 1976.I had fun on the bus playing my guitar and drinking beer and singing songs with the other freaks.I met some dude that smoked a joint with me in an alley in Des Moines Iowa and tried to avoid making eye contact with all the cowboys in Laramie Wyoming, ended up finally stopping in Salt lake city for a good nights sleep before heading to San Diego.I took a city bus to the waterfront and started to look for a motel or hotel to stay at.The first one I went in was pretty dingy,and there was nobody around.I put down my backpack and guitar and walked down the hall to where I heard a sound.What I encountered freaked me out.Some guy had a sponge and a bucket and was wiping a LOT of blood off the walls.I said something like what the hell happened here...the guy says casually ah...a couple of junkies had a knife fight last night.
I went right back to the bus depot and slapped down my "Ameripass" and asked for a ticket to Louisiana..
Maybe diadlover can tell us about his trip to amsterdam without using bad words.