Vacation Switching

ruthiestarz

In the past we have been able to change vacation weeks with other drivers, I went to trade with another driver and was told no this round. Anyone know if this is a new policy?

Cementups

Box Monkey
One time we had a driver pick certain vacations for another driver so that they could switch later. It did not go over well. Especially once I saw it because it involved a week that I had wanted but was not available when I picked. Yet mysteriously an employee 2 spots below me gets the week I wanted.

Swapping vacations should never be allowed. You pick whats available when it's your turn. That's it. Maybe one day you'll have the seniority to pick all those weeks you want, but today is not that day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Drivers who "hold" vacations for other drivers are screwing everyone between them. When this type of information is found out, the driver that found out is usually given free reign to pick any week they want after bids are closed.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
One time we had a driver pick certain vacations for another driver so that they could switch later. It did not go over well. Especially once I saw it because it involved a week that I had wanted but was not available when I picked. Yet mysteriously an employee 2 spots below me gets the week I wanted.

Swapping vacations should never be allowed. You pick whats available when it's your turn. That's it. Maybe one day you'll have the seniority to pick all those weeks you want, but today is not that day.
If you were in my center they would have "opened" any week you wanted as "hush payment".

Overpaid Union Thug

I know I'd be pissed if a week I wanted was filled up during the vacation pick time (October here) but then later swapped with a driver with less seniority than me. It's even worse when someone picks and then shows up to work. But that hasn't happened here lately. I don't even like it when someone gets sick and moves their vacation to cover that week. I feel like saying "Yeah that's what sick days are for you fool!"

rod

Retired 22 years
Having worked in a small center my whole career switching vacations was never a problem. We did it all the time. I don't recall anyone ever having a hissy fit over it.

Pickles

Side question:

Where you are at, does a "working option week" vacation count towards the max number off per week?

Here it does for some reason. Which is stupid if you ask me. What what else is stupid is drivers taking prime weeks when they plan on working it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Having worked in a small center my whole career switching vacations was never a problem. We did it all the time. I don't recall anyone ever having a hissy fit over it.

The trouble starts with prime summer weeks that lower seniority drivers can't get. Switch with a lower seniority driver and those above start the hissy fitting.

Really, that week should go in seniority order. If no one wants it, go ahead and trade.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
One thing that a lot of you forget, bsed on your supplement, is the amount of slots available. It's outlined in the Southern Supplement Art 61 that a certain number of slots must be made available based on the amount of employees, even making more weeks available during prime months.

Now, one may say that's great, but what the contract fails to address is the amount of vacations each employee has. If your senority list has 75% of employees at 25+ years of service, well obviously the amount of vacation week each employee has is a lot more on average, which the contract doesn't address.

This is where picking vacations and adhering to the contract on selection is vital. In a center of 130 drivers where the top 80 have 4 weeks plus, this presents a problem.

Another thing that isn't addressed is the cover driver (pt employee for driver coverage) selection. As a PT employee they should be bidding with their inside selection. Now, obviously, these guys are going to be on the top of the PT senority list, and will pick the prime weeks. As such during the time of the year where they are needed most, they are on vacation, creating a large void to fill.

Just something for you guys to think about next time you think switching doesn't effect anyone.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One thing that a lot of you forget, bsed on your supplement, is the amount of slots available. It's is outlined in the Southern Supplement Art 61 that a certain number of slots must be made available based on the amount of employees.

Now, one may say that's great, but what the contract fails to address is the amount of vacations each employee has. If your senority list has 75% of employees at 25+ years of service, well obviously the amount of vacation week each employee has is a lot more on average, which the contract doesn't address.
Yes plus some supplements have the option that everyone picks half their vacations then you go back through the list after everyone has picked.