vacation vs being sick

M

Mista_turk

Whats up my fellow upsers, I work in a fairly small warehouse doing local sort, I got caught in a dilemma today at work. So about a couple weeks ago on the labor day week i fell ill and missed a couple days, excused by a doctor. So i go check mt days i have left on upsers at work and found out they deducted those 2 days from my vacation, can they do that if my doctors notes covered the days i was gone? my sup says my vacation days are actually option days because they were prorated. but i was sick with doctors notes before and never had them take my days before. so this is new to me.

J

jibbs

Does it really make a difference if you have a doctor's note or not when you miss work because you're sick? I thought that's what sick days were for...

cynic

Does it really make a difference if you have a doctor's note or not when you miss work because you're sick? I thought that's what sick days were for...

We don't have sick days, so it is just unpaid time off unless you use (burn) an option day.

J

jibbs

We don't have sick days, so it is just unpaid time off unless you use (burn) an option day.

Damn! That's definitely not what a supervisor told a co-worker of mine just yesterday that was hired nearly the same time as me. I mean, now that we've been there a year he said that we have paid sick days, but he neglected to mention that their taken out of your vacation days. ****ty, ****ty deal, man... for him to leave that out, I mean, not about the sick day issue itself. It makes sense to me, even if it does seem like a bit much.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Damn! That's definitely not what a supervisor told a co-worker of mine just yesterday that was hired nearly the same time as me. I mean, now that we've been there a year he said that we have paid sick days, but he neglected to mention that their taken out of your vacation days. ****ty, ****ty deal, man... for him to leave that out, I mean, not about the sick day issue itself. It makes sense to me, even if it does seem like a bit much.
so you don't get any sick days in addition to your vacation??

oldngray

nowhere special
We get an option week where we can take another weeks vacation ( max of 6+1 weeks) or take the pay for that option week. Its kind of replaces sick days.

J

jibbs

so you don't get any sick days in addition to your vacation??

If what cynic said is true, nope, I don't think so.

It probably varies from area to area but I wouldn't put it past the particular supe in question to not know or even purposefully hold out on sick days equating to vacation time. I'll have to ask somebody on Monday about it.

cynic

I'd talk to a steward ASAP as Brownslave688 recommends.

Also, why would you EVER believe the words that come out of the mouth of a PT/FT sup????

cynic

We get an option week where we can take another weeks vacation ( max of 6+1 weeks) or take the pay for that option week. Its kind of replaces sick days.

Option days are my get out of jail for a day benefit. If I'm sick, I'm sick, just don't pay me. To me, by doing as your described, management is using up my (our) option days at their option, not ours.

J

jibbs

I'd talk to a steward ASAP as Brownslave688 recommends.

Also, why would you EVER believe the words that come out of the mouth of a PT/FT sup????

He's never bull****ted me before. Hell, none of them have except for the occasional way the friend* off package counts at the beginning of the day. I've had issues with this guy in the past but it was never about dishonesty or being deceitful. Just two hard-headed dumbasses that didn't like each other for a while. I've never been given a reason to not trust any of my supervisors on default, it's pretty much a case-by-case thing where if something doesn't seem right I start to ask questions-- sometimes here.

Most of the time if they don't know something I just get a straight up "I don't know" and they just walk off. It's irritating but I prefer that than being told some BS story.

QKRSTKR

I would say if you elected to take svd instead of option week then yes they can pay u for days. If you have scheduled vacations they cannot take days from those. Your already scheduled to be off those weeks. That's why I haven't used the svd option, when your sick they can pay u for those days.

didyousheetit

First,I'm in local 710. We don't have paid sick days. As far as optional days go they will try to get you to burn them. You don't have to let them just tell them you won't get paid. If they insist then see a steward. In 710 we get optional week vacation paid all in the same week or take individual days throughout the year. I did take a day off my name came up on day off list and they burned one of my vacation optional days. Since, they paid me I told them that's fine but I still had the day coming to me. Didn't have any problems with them over this.

Whats up my fellow upsers, I work in a fairly small warehouse doing local sort, I got caught in a dilemma today at work. So about a couple weeks ago on the labor day week i fell ill and missed a couple days, excused by a doctor. So i go check mt days i have left on upsers at work and found out they deducted those 2 days from my vacation, can they do that if my doctors notes covered the days i was gone? my sup says my vacation days are actually option days because they were prorated. but i was sick with doctors notes before and never had them take my days before. so this is new to me.

Did anyone notice this was a first post? Did anyone notice this person works in a warehouse? TROLL!