vacation

kingOFchester

Someones financial situation has not affect on me.....unless they are getting some sort of government financial aid.

Bidding weeks is a seniority right. Whether that person works or not during that week has no affect on me because they have earned that right to pick the premium weeks. If they were not allowed to work during vacation, that week would still not be available to me.

It is disheartening to see a top driver picking and working during a week I could not get. But that is seniority. If it is allowed in your local, like it is mine, then at some point in time when I am closer to the top of the list, I will have the option to take a premium week.

People cry to much about what they can't get. They also spend to much time worrying about others financial state. Perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves to share how financially responsible they are.

If your local allows it, then end of story.

Overpaid Union Thug

Someones financial situation has not affect on me.....unless they are getting some sort of government financial aid.
Yes....other's financial situations aren't supposed to affect the rest of us. But some seem to think it should and that everyone else should have to miss out on vacation weeks because of it.

Bidding weeks is a seniority right. Whether that person works or not during that week has no affect on me because they have earned that right to pick the premium weeks. If they were not allowed to work during vacation, that week would still not be available to me.

It can affect you. It can affect everyone. High seniority doesn't negate a contract, although that mentality has existed in my center before. Still does to a lesser extent. Luckily some of us lower seniority drivers used to the contract to snuff it out.

I don't know what region you are in or how your vacation language is but in the southern it says we must select vacation sell backs in September. This is to keep people from selecting vacation weeks someone else could have. There is nothing that says that only high seniority employees can have premium weeks.

It is disheartening to see a top driver picking and working during a week I could not get. But that is seniority. If it is allowed in your local, like it is mine, then at some point in time when I am closer to the top of the list, I will have the option to take a premium week.

How do you know that a premium week won't be able to you? With people spreading their vacations out that gives others an opportunity to select what you consider premium weeks. One thing is for sure.....if you allow them to select weeks only to work then you are basically cutting your own throat in that regard. I'm glad our supplement makes it clear that working during vacations isn't allowed. This helps increase others' chances of getting weeks that would otherwise be wasted by those that are less considerate and can only think about themselves.

People cry to much about what they can't get. They also spend to much time worrying about others financial state. Perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves to share how financially responsible they are.

If your local allows it, then end of story.

Your local allows people to work during vacations? Sad. So sad.

I remember. That's why I eventually found, and kept, a second job all the way up until the point I was driving enough to only need one job. That's the price most people pay for choosing to work for a company that requires the majority of it's career workers to spend years, sometimes over a decade, as part-timers before landing a full-time gig.

As far as full-timers go....I just don't understand how a full-time driver making $80k-$100K+ can let themselves get to the point where they need to work their vacations.
Where does he say he is a FT driver? I assumed he is PT.

upsman68

If this driver has a hardship and its ok to do this, with language in the contract to allow it, then I say we cut this member some slack. I don't like people telling me how to spend my money and I'm not going to tell another member how to spend theirs. However I will try to let all members know of ways to be more financially secure.

I didn't know Dave Ramsey worked for UPS.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Kis124

I'm working this week. It is my scheduled vacation. Our preload has too many vacations scheduled this week. I also worked my first week this year for the same reason. Got nothing do but work, and I'd be bored being home for a week

Sent using BrownCafe App

kingOFchester

Yes....other's financial situations aren't supposed to affect the rest of us. But some seem to think it should and that everyone else should have to miss out on vacation weeks because of it.

It can affect you. It can affect everyone. High seniority doesn't negate a contract, although that mentality has existed in my center before. Still does to a lesser extent. Luckily some of us lower seniority drivers used to the contract to snuff it out.

I don't know what region you are in or how your vacation language is but in the southern it says we must select vacation sell backs in September. This is to keep people from selecting vacation weeks someone else could have. There is nothing that says that only high seniority employees can have premium weeks.

How do you know that a premium week won't be able to you? With people spreading their vacations out that gives others an opportunity to select what you consider premium weeks. One thing is for sure.....if you allow them to select weeks only to work then you are basically cutting your own throat in that regard. I'm glad our supplement makes it clear that working during vacations isn't allowed. This helps increase others' chances of getting weeks that would otherwise be wasted by those that are less considerate and can only think about themselves.

Your local allows people to work during vacations? Sad. So sad.

Our local does not have language about working vacations. If we had language about it, my personal feelings would change. I also understand why people pick what I call "premium weeks". Getting a scheduled day or days off during the summer can be tough. If a driver has a long weekend planned or needs a few days off in a given week, the only way to secure those days is to bid that week. Then work the days you don't need.

FT driver.

brownrod

If he won't ask then I will. Why on earth do people schedule their week of vacation but work through it. Especially during the peak of vacation time. I just don't get it.
Just last week a guy had the week off but worked Mon, Tue, and Wed. I made the comment that if wasn't going to take the week off I wanted to change one of my weeks. That didn't go over to well.

There exist several high seniority routes in this center that I would work through vacation to do instead of sitting at home spending money :) One of which I'm the only cover driver and I don't want anyone else to learn it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm working this week. It is my scheduled vacation. Our preload has too many vacations scheduled this week. I also worked my first week this year for the same reason. Got nothing do but work, and I'd be bored being home for a week

Sent using BrownCafe App
Get a hobby it'll serve you well later in life.

Kis124

I have a hobby. I fix cars. Just so happens I fixed all that I can of mine right now, and no one else needs work right now

Sent using BrownCafe App

Notretiredyet

For years this issue would come up so it was addressed in our rider a few contracts ago. Now you are allowed to work only after everyone with seniority is given the chance to work. Then you work whatever route that is unassigned after everyone regardless of seniority picks.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have a hobby. I fix cars. Just so happens I fixed all that I can of mine right now, and no one else needs work right now

Sent using BrownCafe App
Get project car. They are never finished. TRUST ME. Lol

Only problem then is I work my vacation to buy parts but then don't have time to fix the car :backingout: