Vandalism on UPS Property

HazMatMan

Why are you people at a drop of the hat explaining your centers security flaws to a complete stranger! Obviously " Sammie " is a terrorist looking for another terrorism avenue!

If that's the case, and he blows up MY building, i'll have at least a few days off. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Just kidding..

Sammie

Why are you people at a drop of the hat explaining your centers security flaws to a complete stranger! Obviously " Sammie " is a terrorist looking for another terrorism avenue!

Well, never thought of myself THAT way....

Was simply wondering if any locations were "fenced in" or not as ours certainly should be...

A sinking feeling thinking you're going home after a long day and finding no vehicle to go home in!!!

And no more letting slip the color of your security guards eyes!!

Chip

We have guards, fenced in, metal detectors, need ID to get in, and are located nearly in the same parking lot as a police department and I had my vehicle broken into while working the midnight sort 10 years ago.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The stupidest thing to me is waking out thru the guard shack and you have to ha ve a property pass for your cell phone. Hello? Management??? It's 2007!!! We al l have cell phones!!!

jlphotog

Here in the murder capital of Canada, we have a fence around the complex with two gates that are open from the time the pre-load guys/gals show up and closed when everyone has gone home for the night.

Plus, customer parking shares our lot. Yet I have never heard of any vehicle break-in's or thefts on UPS property around here.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
.......Should have known better......

We probably have a monthly incident where someone walks out at night to their car being caved in or no just car at all....
We're in a crummy area with a high crime rate anyway and anybody can wander in. I didn't know if this was the norm
or if other places were more difficult for public access. If you had to pay a couple of grand for repairs when your wheels were finally located, well, never mind!!!!!!!!!
:sad: :confused:1 :ohmy:

Sammie, what Denver UPS building are you talking about if you don't mind my asking? I can agree our Commerce City Hub isn't in a perfect neighborhood but is it really as bad as you describe? Englewood is a fairly nice town from what I've seen. And I've seen a building like what other posters have described: no guards, no fences, etc. That was a center in the middle of nowhere Illinois!

Was simply wondering if any locations were "fenced in" or not as ours certainly should be...

Commerce City is fenced and very well, too. There's exactly one way in and out for pedestrians. I think package cars and feeders only go in and out one gate as well. I know there's another gate for vehicles but I've never seen guards manning it. When I was a helper, my driver got a text to go in that gate, so I know it can be used. Maybe emergencies only? -Rocky

Sammie

Sammie, what Denver UPS building are you talking about if you don't mind my asking? I can agree our Commerce City Hub isn't in a perfect neighborhood but is it really as bad as you describe? Englewood is a fairly nice town from what I've seen. And I've seen a building like what other posters have described: no guards, no fences, etc. That was a center in the middle of nowhere Illinois!

Commerce City is fenced and very well, too. There's exactly one way in and out for pedestrians. I think package cars and feeders only go in and out one gate as well. I know there's another gate for vehicles but I've never seen guards manning it. When I was a helper, my driver got a text to go in that gate, so I know it can be used. Maybe emergencies only? -Rocky

"Isn't in a perfect neighborhood" -is pretty right on. Folks I know who live in Adams County near UPS are hesitant to let their kids attend after school activities because of the high crime rate.

Where do you park your personal vehicle when you come to work each day, my sweet? In one of two parking lots, right?
And anybody and everybody has open access to those spots.
In your spare time, call the Commerce City PD and ask often they're called to UPS because of theft.

Commerce City, CO Profile:

Reports show that during 2003 property crime levels in the Commerce City area were higher than Colorado's average. The same data shows violent crime to be higher than the Colorado average.

For more interesting statistics:

Commerce City Profile | Commerce City CO

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
"Isn't in a perfect neighborhood" -is pretty right on. Folks I know who live in Adams County near UPS are hesitant to let their kids attend after school activities because of the high crime rate.

Interesting. I'm new to Denver. If I end up staying here after my degree, I'll have to remember that about Adams County. Thanks! I've worked in the area around our Commerce City Hub before, including very late at night. It was an office but I never saw or heard anything untoward. That was several years ago, though.

Where do you park your personal vehicle when you come to work each day, my sweet? In one of two parking lots, right?
And anybody and everybody has open access to those spots.
In your spare time, call the Commerce City PD and ask often they're called to UPS because of theft.

First, yes I am as sweet as chocolate...that is until you make me mad. A UPS p/t sup made that error late last week. She's trying to get back in my good graces. Long, funny story.

I don't drive, Sammie. Too much money for too litttle benefit. In fact, I haven't driven in almost two and a half years. RTD gets me around Metro Denver just fiiiiine. When I visit family, its either Chicago where I can bum rides from family/friends or its a city with a fair (not great but fair) mass transit system. -Rocky

Sammie

Interesting. I'm new to Denver. If I end up staying here after my degree, I'll have to remember that about Adams County. Thanks! I've worked in the area around our Commerce City Hub before, including very late at night. It was an office but I never saw or heard anything untoward. That was several years ago, though.

First, yes I am as sweet as chocolate...that is until you make me mad. A UPS p/t sup made that error late last week. She's trying to get back in my good graces. Long, funny story.

I don't drive, Sammie. Too much money for too litttle benefit. In fact, I haven't driven in almost two and a half years. RTD gets me around Metro Denver just fiiiiine. When I visit family, its either Chicago where I can bum rides from family/friends or its a city with a fair (not great but fair) mass transit system. -Rocky

Sounds like you're really busting those buns!!

Going to school and working across town all with public transportation is more than most people would attempt.

Best of luck to you!!!!

ups_vette

The stupidest thing to me is waking out thru the guard shack and you have to ha ve a property pass for your cell phone. Hello? Management??? It's 2007!!! We al l have cell phones!!!

Yes we all have cell phones. But is it YOUR cell phone that you're walking out thru the guard shack with??? Not that any UPS employee has ever stolen anything.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our building is tiny and we don't even have enough parking spaces. It's real interesting in the morning when the drivers start showing up and preload has already taken up 90% of the spaces. Security? LOL. Customers walk in as they please during reload to pick up packages. When we come to work we can park right up to the building if a space is available and walk right in. Cell phones are brought in all the time.

Our Security people work out of another hub and when we asked them what the deal was we were told that there is at least one camera hidden in every UPS building and that security can punch up each location on their laptop from anywhere and watch what is going on live. I'm not sure I believe that but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true.