Vehicle sensors costs...

Scotsman

Scotsman
... $700 per vehicle + labor. X how many vehicles? = $__________. (incert commas)

During my AM pre-trip, the mechanic forgot some electrical tape, connectors, etc. on the dash. That night I found him installing "that funny little red brake light" on the bulkhead wall in the cargo area behind the drivers seat. Step on the brake, and the little red light turns on... in the cargo area!

The mechanic says it's part of the "computer sensors that will save the company money on replacing parts ect."

He also added that in a meeting they had with the district manager, he was told that... "anyone who tries to mess with the sensors... will be made an example of."

:happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It astounds me that a company that makes a business decision to spend $700 on sensors to detect seat belt usage...also made a business decision that the life of the driver wasnt worth the $40 it would have cost to put a 3 point belt in the pre-'95 package cars.

sx2700

Banned
I would sit in there for an hour during lunch and just continuously push the brake in and out. If they have a problem you can claim it is just your OCD acting up.

pretzel_man

... $700 per vehicle + labor. X how many vehicles? = . (incert commas)

During my AM pre-trip, the mechanic forgot some electrical tape, connectors, etc. on the dash. That night I found him installing "that funny little red brake light" on the bulkhead wall in the cargo area behind the drivers seat. Step on the brake, and the little red light turns on... in the cargo area!

The mechanic says it's part of the "computer sensors that will save the company money on replacing parts ect."

He also added that in a meeting they had with the district manager, he was told that... "anyone who tries to mess with the sensors... will be made an example of."

:happy2:

First, the dollar amount you're quoting is way too high for the hardware.

Second, the hardware does much more than track seat belt usage. Its major function is to gather information from the vehicle bus for engine diagnostics

Third, if you tamper with the device (or any device) you should be disciplined.

P-Man

Mike Hawk

I would sit in there for an hour during lunch and just continuously push the brake in and out. If they have a problem you can claim it is just your OCD acting up.
Or they would assume you were doing something else with an unauthorized passenger for an hour...:happy-very:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
sx, glad you want to spend your lunch that way. most of the rest have better things to do than to try and screw up information gathering devices.

d

sx2700

Banned
sx, glad you want to spend your lunch that way. most of the rest have better things to do than to try and screw up information gathering devices.

d

Do you mean better things to do, like continuously posting and criticizing on every single thread. Maybe you need to move out of your mother's basement, get a girlfriend, and get a life. What is your job that you are able to be on here all the time and to do the "research" you do to refute every post that you don't agree with? Time for a new hobby, eh? Your garbage is beyond old.

some1else

Banned
one of our drivers likes to pile packages up in the cab then del. from there (god knows why, its much slower), but anyway he said he opens/slams the bulkhead like 10 times or w/e the number of stops is lol

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
sx

let me put your rant into perspective

i put in 33 years at ups. did a lot of things i was very proud of, some not so proud. but i did try to carry on the tradition that is coupled with the UPS logo. a tradition that was handed off to me by others that had earned the right to be a ups man.

while employed at ups, the money i made allowed me to get into a lot of other areas of life. things like the foster care system, children's rights, the overbearing legal and gooberment system, automotive challenges, religion, pond building, fish health, and large animal remediation. and to think i was a pre-med student while part time at ups, with a stint worked in the OR at the hospital.

while at ups as a driver i was a shop steward for several years, and in combination with safety co chair, think we made some serious gains on the over all safety of the drivers here in our center and district.

but the thing i loved most about my job was the customers. the ability to think of myself as one of the integral parts of their business made ups a valuable asset to them.

politically, i guess i am to the right of atilla the hun, and very opinionated. maybe at times too much so. but when i think you are full of crap on a post you make, i take the time to tell you why.

and that is why i neg repped you on your post to pretzel.

it is obvious that you dont have a clue as to the ability/capability of the system that ups is putting in. but if you look closely at what nascar can do on its cars, ups will be able to do a lot of the same things.

best

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
couple more things while i am at it

i am(was) an imigrant. legally so. i was and am damn proud to be an American. period. not a hyphenated one. i and my family worked for our right to become citizens, and we made it a point of honor to learn the language.

i grew up dirt poor, like a lot of other drivers on this board. i dont make any excuses for what i have accumulated in life, i earned it, no one gave me a thing.

further more, when life dealt me some crappy times, i didnt quit. quit is for dead people. i just ended up going in another direction than before. attitude is 95% of the battle. it can either take you to your dreams, or keep you from even attempting them.

now, you know as much about me as you really need to. i choose to spend time here whenever i have a spare minute or two. it is also a more entertaining place than the tv set when on the road.

and believe it or not, i have had the great pleasure to actually meet several of the great people here.

now, off to make supper. spoon burgers and a salad, on a diet again.

d

pretzel_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzel_man

Its major function is to gather information from the vehicle bus for engine diagnostics

P-Man

So, rather than listen to facts or do research on Telematics you choose to attack my honesty.

I have no reason to spread BS.

I realize that there are some closed minded people who will not listen to facts. I post for the majority that will weigh the facts and make up their own mind.

P-Man

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
SX

Danny gives a lot of perspective to posts and makes you think outside the box. If you don't respect what he says, scroll down past him, and read what others post. Start acting your age.

wornoutupser

First, the dollar amount you're quoting is way too high for the hardware.

Second, the hardware does much more than track seat belt usage. Its major function is to gather information from the vehicle bus for engine diagnostics

Third, if you tamper with the device (or any device) you should be disciplined.

P-Man

P-Man,

I drive a vehicle that falls apart every week at a minimum.

What is a figure for the hardware that is more in line? I would like to see the SAFETY of my car come first and have the money spent THERE!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
SX,
Dannyboy has put in his time at UPS as a driver and shop steward. He earned his retirement and has a right to his opinions. Unlike you, he is a long time member of this site and well respected. I suggest that you need to start showing some respect to other members of this site if you want to continue to participate.

pretzel_man

P-Man,

I drive a vehicle that falls apart every week at a minimum.

What is a figure for the hardware that is more in line? I would like to see the SAFETY of my car come first and have the money spent THERE!

I agree with you about the safety and reliability of your vehicle. I can't speak to that.

I don't know why automotive doesn't maintain it in your center. I would think that their maintenance costs and reliablility metrics would be negatively affected.

He is at least 50% too high in the costs. New vehicles come already prewired and that reduces the installation costs dramatically as well.

P-Man

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
guys, leave sx alone. i could have responded and burned him a new rectum, but that would not have raised his level, only brought the level to him.

Pretzel

worn out has a legit issue. there are a lot of package cars out there that even a dog wont piss on cause they are not good enough. and the way ups operates, i would not put it past them to install the system on package cars that are worth much less than the system. package cars that have serious issues that could be very much safety related.

i know that the company is trying to get newer cars nation wide. and i applaud them for installing the "black boxes" to improve economy, safety and reliability. but the older cars are a black eye when it comes to the issue of safety. including the three point seat belt conversion?

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Danny

You can't implement the system unless all cars are being measured at the same time under the same conditions. I have to assume that because it wouldn't be fair to the ones being spanked for safety violations.

Imagine a rogue '85 rust bucket in the lineup with no telematrics, That would be everyones favorite car.