Veiled Threat

MikeTbob

Is everyone actually getting their triple-time greivances? Is UPS paying up?

Yep, I can verify that UPS is paying up, but there is a catch... you already worked those hours at time and half, when you file the grievance you get paid the other time and a half.

yes for 5 months, but not NOV or DEC. Sorry I was not more clear for you. thanks tourists24

Keep in mind, you must "opt-in" twice a year.

gandydancer

actually that language has changed. Now if you're over 9.5 3 times in a week you are added to the list for 5 months. If within that 5 months you're over 3 times in a week again you file for triple time.

you sound so upset when I read your post, like you need a hug. I hope all is well for you.

Nah, just pissed off whenever I think about the contract that got voted in.

There's language more recent than the contract? Beyond the MOU shafting long-route drivers? As far as I know, this is it: "Each
full-time seniority driver in the center must make an election to opt-in or opt-out...no later than ten (10) days prior to the applicable five (5) month period. Those full-time drivers who choose to opt-out of the 9.5 language in this subsection will have NO RIGHT TO FILE A GRIEVANCE alleging excessive overtime either under this subsection or under an excessive overtime provision in the Supplement, Rider, or Addendum... Drivers WHO CHOSE TO OPT-IN on the 9.5 list shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continually worked a driver more than nine and one-half (9.5) hours per day for any three (3) days in a workweek." No going to the office to opt-in after you've had three over-9.5s. Wait for the next window, and pound sand the while. That's what I said. That's what I meant. Am I wrong?

Article37

I've been paid for excessive overtime on 5 seperate weeks prior to the new language.
I have my third over 9.5 on this past Thurs. so my steward and I went in and talked to center manager on Fri am.to "opt-in". He (center manager) gave me two choices. Either give them (management) another chance to keep me under or face a (3)day ride a long to "lock me into a SPORH) and that is what I would get times 8hrs. Nothing more... No overtime. He said the company cannot afford to pay me triple time. By that comment he doesnt sound to confident on keeping me under 9.5 in the future.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've been paid for excessive overtime on 5 seperate weeks prior to the new language.
I have my third over 9.5 on this past Thurs. so my steward and I went in and talked to center manager on Fri am.to "opt-in". He (center manager) gave me two choices. Either give them (management) another chance to keep me under or face a (3)day ride a long to "lock me into a SPORH) and that is what I would get times 8hrs. Nothing more... No overtime. He said the company cannot afford to pay me triple time. By that comment he doesnt sound to confident on keeping me under 9.5 in the future.

Article can you explain this more, it has been coming up more and more on here. Do you have a right to say no to being locked in to a sporh, many things can affect this on a daily basis, by the contract is there anything in it that says the company can do this?

JonFrum

Nah, just pissed off whenever I think about the contract that got voted in.

There's language more recent than the contract? Beyond the MOU shafting long-route drivers? As far as I know, this is it: "Each full-time seniority driver in the center must make an election to opt-in or opt-out...no later than ten (10) days prior to the applicable five (5) month period. Those full-time drivers who choose to opt-out of the 9.5 language in this subsection will have NO RIGHT TO FILE A GRIEVANCE alleging excessive overtime either under this subsection or under an excessive overtime provision in the Supplement, Rider, or Addendum... Drivers WHO CHOSE TO OPT-IN on the 9.5 list shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continually worked a driver more than nine and one-half (9.5) hours per day for any three (3) days in a workweek." No going to the office to opt-in after you've had three over-9.5s. Wait for the next window, and pound sand the while. That's what I said. That's what I meant. Am I wrong?
UPDATE:
http://tdu.org/node/2751

gandydancer

OK. So the "windows" language got "guidelined" away in the screw-the-extended-route-drivers memo. Very good to hear. Thanks.

Hey, 278's my local! We've got a VP named Jerry ******? Who knew? No wonder these clowns had to raise the dues to pay the rent at Executive Park! Wonder when they're going to come into the 21st century and be reachable online.

Last edited by a moderator:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Can't, unless the driver opted in in December. Otherwise, until the ten day window at the end of May, the supe is right and local804 can pound sand.
Gandy, it's been changed at least here in AZ. We sign up on an as needed basis. In otherwords, if we are forced over 3 days we have the right to sign. I just signed about a month ago.

And as far as our extended rtes, so far they have not tried to enforce it here.

trickpony1

I bet if a bunch of members all showed up at the hall at one time and wanted to sign papers to step out of the union....that might get their attention.

....but then maybe not.

I don't think they care.

Sammie

Union employee filed grievance(excessive overtime) and was told by supervisor "If you dont like it, you can always quit" Does anyone know the LRRM/NLRB ruling for this?

Thank goodness you have a union to back you in cases like this. (The overtime, at least.) But as far as a veiled threat, that has always been a standard statement within the UPS culture and as common as a chocolate brown truck for the past three decades we've been there, all out in the open and nothing veiled about it. That's how they respond to anything that falls "out of the box". A common joking comeback among employees (when one's grumbling about something) has always been "you don't like it, get the h*** outta here."

Unlike feeders, packages does have something in place about OT, and there is wording in your contract that you must be treated with respect.
But how does one define respect? There lies the problem.

On the inside, among the non unioners, not unusual for mgmt to slide their hands around the backs of the girls to see who was or wasn't wearing a bra. (So they could be sent home to put one on.) One girl felt sick, wanted to go home. Wasn't allowed to. Barfed all over her manager's desk. Another lady had severe cramps, was not allowed to leave. Miscarried all over her chair. I could go on. That, my friend, is harrassment.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Thank goodness you have a union to back you in cases like this. (The overtime, at least.) But as far as a veiled threat, that has always been a standard statement within the UPS culture
But It shouldn't have to be and should not be tolerated! He should file an artcile 37 for harassment! He should also file for triple time!

Remember a lot of these sups went into management because they could not do our job anymore! Maybe someone should remind him of that!

Sammie

But It shouldn't have to be and should not be tolerated! He should file an artcile 37 for harassment! He should also file for triple time!

Remember a lot of these sups went into management because they could not do our job anymore! Maybe someone should remind him of that!

I fully agree.

"If you dont like it, you can always quit"

After one of those, or another statement we heard quite often -
"Watch it, or I'll throw you right out in the street..." :dissapointed:

I've always wanted to come back with an "If you don't want to
hear a concern, THEN YOU QUIT!"

Oh, if it weren't for that pesky little thing called insubordination...

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I fully agree.

"If you dont like it, you can always quit"

After one of those, or another statement we heard quite often -
"Watch it, or I'll throw you right out in the street..." :dissapointed:

I've always wanted to come back with an "With all due respect, If you don't want to
hear a concern, THEN YOU QUIT!"

Oh, if it weren't for that pesky little thing called insubordination...
There, I fixed it for you Sammie. That should cover it. LOL

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I had a supervisor tell me to quit once "if I don't like it". I told her after we calmed down that I thought that statement was completely unneccessary and in fact, not to sound overly sensitive, it hurt my feelings when she said it. She apologized! But, the next time we had an arguement, guess what she threw out there again! With the ammunition I gave her she thought she was throwing her lowest blow at me. But this time I chose to let it roll of my back, realizing that she was the one who was having problems handling the job if thats all she could come up with when she disagreed with an employee.

P.S. Now, years later, we always have good conversations when we see each other and I would consider her the closest management person I would consider a friend in the company (realizing that when push comes to shove management cannot be your friend).

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I had a supervisor tell me to quit once "if I don't like it". I told her after we calmed down that I thought that statement was completely unneccessary and in fact, not to sound overly sensitive, it hurt my feelings when she said it. She apologized! But, the next time we had an arguement, guess what she threw out there again! With the ammunition I gave her she thought she was throwing her lowest blow at me. But this time I chose to let it roll of my back, realizing that she was the one who was having problems handling the job if thats all she could come up with when she disagreed with an employee.

P.S. Now, years later, we always have good conversations when we see each other and I would consider her the closest management person I would consider a friend in the company (realizing that when push comes to shove management cannot be your friend).

keep your enemies closer than your friends. works to a T with this company