Veiled Threat

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Keeping one's enemies closer than your friends allows you to be ready so when eventually the knife is being thrust into your back...at least you were looking over your shoulder and have the ability to move out of the way.

Unfortunately, every management person has the capability of being your "enemy" based on the whims of the company. One minute you are having a nice conversation with your boss, the next he is berating you for some ridiculous reason or another based on whatever flavor of the moment dictate from corporate. Even when your boss knows these mandates are unreasonable, he/she will come after you because their job depends on it.

Enemy is a harsh description of what might better be called a "potential adversary", but Sleeve_meet_Heart was simply using that classic "enemies closer" axiom to succinctly state the sentiment that I just described in this post.

Thanks for the advice, Sleeve :happy2:.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Keeping one's enemies closer than your friends allows you to be ready so when eventually the knife is being thrust into your back...at least you were looking over your shoulder and have the ability to move out of the way.

Unfortunately, every management person has the capability of being your "enemy" based on the whims of the company. One minute you are having a nice conversation with your boss, the next he is berating you for some ridiculous reason or another based on whatever flavor of the moment dictate from corporate. Even when your boss knows these mandates are unreasonable, he/she will come after you because their job depends on it.

Enemy is a harsh description of what might better be called a "potential adversary", but Sleeve_meet_Heart was simply using that classic "enemies closer" axiom to succinctly state the sentiment that I just described in this post.

Thanks for the advice, Sleeve :happy2:.

I think it has some merit and generally agree (sad to say)

obraindead

Not in 3
Get paid. Take your full lunch. Follow the speed limit. Use all methods. If you do all this, your over allowed hours will be sky high. Sups will adjust, trust me.

Billy

The may ride with you first though to lock in a time to hold you to. Afterward, you'll be on the radar screen for a little while, but if you're clean...

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Union employee filed grievance(excessive overtime) and was told by supervisor "If you dont like it, you can always quit" Does anyone know the LRRM/NLRB ruling for this?

Why would there be a ruling, a fight, Union involvement over this? It is actually a valid option. With everything in life, the suggestion fits.

Then again, rumor has it the Union went to war over the price of soda in the centers, so we may be slightly out of touch with the real world here...

local804

Why would there be a ruling, a fight, Union involvement over this? It is actually a valid option. With everything in life, the suggestion fits.

Then again, rumor has it the Union went to war over the price of soda in the centers, so we may be slightly out of touch with the real world here...

Well Sunshine, if everytime you went to the boss with a problem and he told you if you dont like it you can quit, where would we be in 10 years. UPS is the one with the open door policy,safety committee,toll free helpline , employee relations survey and preach every day about time with the family. Would this be another contradiction in the UPS brown wall? Would this be an opinion or an issue with dignity and respect? I have a valid opinion for you but do not want to get banned from this site, get my drift.....
Well anyway, there is a ruling and it is a violation, so change your wording.

Now getting to your soda war, I really dont think it is a war but would like to make a comment on it. The soda machines in our building have drinks in it for $2.50 in the preload- load areas. These workers get paid $8.50 an hour and work thier asses off. I just find it obsurd that the prices are over inflated for what reason? I wouldnt call it a war, I would just call it sick.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well Sunshine, if everytime you went to the boss with a problem and he told you if you dont like it you can quit, where would we be in 10 years. UPS is the one with the open door policy,safety committee,toll free helpline , employee relations survey and preach every day about time with the family. Would this be another contradiction in the UPS brown wall? Would this be an opinion or an issue with dignity and respect? I have a valid opinion for you but do not want to get banned from this site, get my drift.....

Now getting to your soda war, I really dont think it is a war but would like to make a comment on it. The soda machines in our building have drinks in it for $2.50 in the preload- load areas. These workers get paid $8.50 an hour and work thier asses off. I just find it obsurd that the prices are over inflated for what reason? I wouldnt call it a war, I would just call it sick.

I have to disagree with you on the soda war.

I would estimate 30-50% of our part-timers are kids under 25 and they spend more on booze drugs and snacks as they live at home and have no bills to pay, so the $2.50 for the drink they will gladly throw into the machine.

Now, I do agree that it is NOT RIGHT (the principle). But the reality says if the overpriced crap is going to sell, make it available.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Well Sunshine, if everytime you went to the boss with a problem and he told you if you dont like it you can quit, where would we be in 10 years.

Well, Moonbeam, Depends on if we took his advice or not I guess (?!?)

UPS is the one with the open door policy,safety committee,toll free helpline , employee relations survey and preach every day about time with the family. Would this be another contradiction in the UPS brown wall? Would this be an opinion or an issue with dignity and respect?

"If you don't like it, leave" - I didn't say it was warm, fuzzy, or nice - I said it is a valid option. UPS certainly didn't come up with the phrase. If hearing that is a grievance offense, then that is just silly, for lack of a better word.

I have a valid opinion for you but do not want to get banned from this site, get my drift.....

Nope - don't get your drift. I'm giving my thoughts & opinions without any personal attacks - what are you doing?

That the union got involved in any other way than but to tell the workers "buy elsewhere" is embarrassing.

local804

"If you don't like it, leave" - I didn't say it was warm, fuzzy, or nice - I said it is a valid option. UPS certainly didn't come up with the phrase. If hearing that is a grievance offense, then that is just silly, for lack of a better word.

Hearing that isnt a grievable offense, its hearing that after a grievance is filed is what I am talking about. Your boss is telling you that union activity is incompatible with your job which is a violation of the nlra.

local804

I have to disagree with you on the soda war.

I would estimate 30-50% of our part-timers are kids under 25 and they spend more on booze drugs and snacks as they live at home and have no bills to pay, so the $2.50 for the drink they will gladly throw into the machine.

Now, I do agree that it is NOT RIGHT (the principle). But the reality says if the overpriced crap is going to sell, make it available.

Sleeve
I have no idea what incident is brought up here about this soda war. I have never heard about this till now on this website. I just brought up a point about the price of soda in my building and do not agree with it. I would be the last person on the planet that would go to war against UPS for the price of a can of soda. I would rather file a grievance for the 7 supervisors working near the machine that shouldnt be. I would then take the money and the following day buy a case of soda for $6.00 at Pathmark and give them out for free.

What actual soda war are we talking about?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve
I have no idea what incident is brought up here about this soda war. I have never heard about this till now on this website. I just brought up a point about the price of soda in my building and do not agree with it. I would be the last person on the planet that would go to war against UPS for the price of a can of soda. I would rather file a grievance for the 7 supervisors working near the machine that shouldnt be. I would then take the money and the following day buy a case of soda for $6.00 at Pathmark and give them out for free.

What actual soda war are we talking about?

It's foggy to me. Someone mentioned the union? and a new vendor, where the prices of snacks and drinks nearly doubled in the machines in some cases. We saw the changes at our building late last year.