Virtual pat downs

804brown

Slowly but surely our right to be left the friend alone is being taken away!! This is how it happens. Not through a dictatorship but slowly and quietly in order to "protect" us, our socalled democratic leaders and their police are doing this. Where is the outrage!!

wkmac

When you by an airline ticket you expect a TSA pat down. You do not expect one nor should you be subjected to one walking down a city street.

I agree with you but why should we not in the name of public safety be subjected to pat downs on the street? We search people going onto an airplane in the name of security and we do similar at concerts and even some sporting events. Both of these you could argue are a matter of seeking a type "pursuit of happiness" by the individual so why should the average person walking down the street be exempt? We demand drug testing as if guilty as a means of proving our innocence rather than granting it until proven otherwise by facts of an individual action so in our world of the slippery slope, I ask again, why should we be exempt from random street searches whether on foot or even in our cars?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no desire to live in a military state.

OK, let's suppose NYC does start using these scanners and they do find a "person of interest"---on what basis would they have the right to detain, question and/or search this individual? Whatever happened to "reasonable suspicion"?

I wonder if "1984" is available for Kindle download.