Virtual time study.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would think that in a virtual time study at least they aren't stepping on your heels to get you to walk faster. I always used to just stop dead in my tracks and tell them if they are in that much of a hurry to go around me.

JustTired

free at last.......
Hey........
What do Fox News and UPS time-studies have in common?

They both claim to be "fair and balanced"....lol........

pretzel_man

Brings up a couple of questions Pretzel,,, what does estimating walk classes mean and how does it distinguish between a 5'0 tall female and a 6'4" 25 year old man? Also, if the program does not study traffic, how can it possibly be accurate?

I'll try and answer, but Big Brown Santa in a post following yours answered the walk classes well....

Time study observers are trained to estimate walk distances. They are broken into classes of walks and there are five of them. Class 1 is the shortest walk (6 to 25 feet) and class 5 is the longest (201 feet and over).

The walk time is not broken out between make / female / height / etc. Its an average time to walk. I once did the math to figure out how fast the measurement expected a walk pace to be, and as I recall it was 2.78 miles per hour. (The average person walks 3 miles per hour, so I thought that was pretty fair).

Classifying walks are a carryover from manual worksheets from many years ago. Back there was no way to estimate actual distance, so whether you walked 51 feet or 100 feet, you got the same allowance (Class 3 walk).

The new time study program measures walk distances using the satellite images, and it does it by using the measured distance instead of a walk class. So, if you walked 200 feet, you'd get a different measure in the time study than if you walked 101 feet. (Today, there is the same calculation for both)

As far as travel goes, the virtual study we have discussed does NOT measure travel. It is measured the same way as before. There is a travel chart, and the chart says that give you planned time for traveling to and from an area as well as travel time within an area. The travel time within an area is based on the number of stops you have.

During a time study, the observer can add time based on travel delays.

Of all the time study measures, travel is the least accurate.

Again, the virtual study is only changing a portion of the time study procedure. From what I hear, there will be other changes over time. Travel being one of those changes.

P-Man

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I guess there are other options.

Maybe you are misinformed. Maybe you are not listening.

I'm not sure how many time studies you have taken. I'm not sure how many time study classes you have taught. I've done many of both.

The observer does NOT take every step with you. They estimate walk classes.

I've said multiple times that this program does NOT study traffic.

Have you seen this program?? I've seen the analysis on the accuracy of this program as compared to observers. Have you??

I know that I'm not stupid... I don't think you are...

We are running out of choices here. ...

What do you think the other options are?

P-Man

I have participated in 2 time studies during my 21+ years with ups and yes, they took every step with me, they recorded my mileage at each change in speed limit and they marked down all time spent at stop lights etc. So maybe you are not aware of how they were done 15-18 years ago when they did them.

They were not simply observers they actually went with you every step of the way and I believe they were very accurate, which cannot possibly be done on a computer looking at a satellite image. I am so glad I'm almost to retirement as this will only add to the incredibly impossible standards that drivers are required to meet these days.

All of the technological additions have been good for the customer and for the company, but because someone somewhere believes these things save the drivers time it has made it impossible to work to expectations.

The time I spend sorting, sending messages, replying to messages, meeting because of misloads, and delivering misloads takes much, much more time than what little may have been saved by scanning rather than recording manually. In fact my diad went down yesterday and they brought me out another one without edd, I did 10 more stops per hour without edd.

pretzel_man

I have participated in 2 time studies during my 21+ years with ups and yes, they took every step with me, they recorded my mileage at each change in speed limit and they marked down all time spent at stop lights etc. So maybe you are not aware of how they were done 15-18 years ago when they did them.

They were not simply observers they actually went with you every step of the way and I believe they were very accurate, which cannot possibly be done on a computer looking at a satellite image. I am so glad I'm almost to retirement as this will only add to the incredibly impossible standards that drivers are required to meet these days.

All of the technological additions have been good for the customer and for the company, but because someone somewhere believes these things save the drivers time it has made it impossible to work to expectations.

The time I spend sorting, sending messages, replying to messages, meeting because of misloads, and delivering misloads takes much, much more time than what little may have been saved by scanning rather than recording manually. In fact my diad went down yesterday and they brought me out another one without edd, I did 10 more stops per hour without edd.

IWork:

I think that its great that the observers walked every step with you. Some do that, but its not required. They are trying to determine walk distance and then determine one of the five classes to use.

Remember, whether you walk 101 feet or 200 feet you get the same measurement. With the new system, they measure it more precisely.

From what I've seen, some areas gain time, some lose. In all cases, the measurement is done more quickly, and can be easily reproduced and audited.

I guess I'm surprised that without EDD, you did more stops per hour?? If that's the case, can't you just not get EDD in the morning?

P-Man

over9five

Staff member
I guess I'm surprised that without EDD, you did more stops per hour?? If that's the case, can't you just not get EDD in the morning?

P-Man

Probably not. There is some report, I believe it's "percentage of drivers on EDD".

I used to meet an air driver on road, and give him his air to deliver. (He started at the airport, did EAMs, and then I'd give him his 10:30s).
One day the sup told me, "He's the only one not on EDD. You'll have to download his EDD, and transfer it to his DIAD on-road". I thought that was a silly time consuming thing to do for 5 stops, and told the sup that. He told me the air driver was coming up on some report, so we fixed it by transferring EDD on-road.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I do not put too much thought into time study as there are a thousand items that can scew the numbers either way. If they want to study it....have at it. I do my best at all times.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I do not put too much thought into time study as there are a thousand items that can scew the numbers either way. If they want to study it....have at it. I do my best at all times.

We all do, however with pas we already lose time, then with a fake time study we'll lose more and the harassment just gets worse. I'm so glad I'm almost gone, I feel for those of you that are going to have to put up with this completely impossible mess thanks to IE

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
IWork:

I think that its great that the observers walked every step with you. Some do that, but its not required. They are trying to determine walk distance and then determine one of the five classes to use.

Remember, whether you walk 101 feet or 200 feet you get the same measurement. With the new system, they measure it more precisely.

From what I've seen, some areas gain time, some lose. In all cases, the measurement is done more quickly, and can be easily reproduced and audited.

P-Man

No, it's required so they can track you and keep track of everything it does I suppose. It is so much faster without edd, just sort and run em off, don't have to mess with checking and figuring out which stop to do next to make it the most efficient, you just do it according to next package when you sort.

That's the old way and as far as i'm concerned still the best way. Trying to stay on trace is a joke, I don't have the same stops or same streets every single day, I can do it so much more efficiently without edd.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Do you work with him?

This coming from someone who does not always see eye to eye with him.

STFU.
I guess you showed me. It is funny how some posters feel they can get on their soapbox whenever they choose and want others to follow some imaginary posting code. I doubt I will STFU. It is admirable the way you defend him. Hope you do that with co-workers where it REALLY matters.

New Englander

I don't make reaching accusations when I go after someone. I attack something they have said.
Your way of doing it is plain annoying.

Glad your mature enough not to throw a gay shot out there. Ahh......to be a teen again!