Virtual Time Study

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We are scheduled for a virtual time study tomorrow. What to expect and what to do to insure best possible allowances.

ymelord

Just do you route by the methods like you should be doing everyday. Don't worry about your allowances it's managements problem. Screw their allowances.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
We just had one not too long ago and happy people were few and far between. Your gonna get screwed one way or another. Just do EVERY stop by the methods, and DO NOT SHEET IN THE TRUCK.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Don't pull into any driveways or parking lots. Walk everything off from the street, even dock stops. Maximize the distance between your package car and delivery point when the stop is completed. Spend extra time in commercial stops looking for sales leads or extra volume.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sheet in the truck don't stop complete in the truck!!!! You are supposed to get credit for all those steps you take to the house at least in theory.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
When we had our Virtual Time study done, it consisted of a Tick Tock supervisor viewing each route with Google Earth. The allowances were made from the distance of the stop from the street,and they used the previous weeks records to do the study. Of course in a virtual world there is no traffic,no weather,and each street is flat.

Dont sweat it,as you'll lose time with this study. It wont make a bit of difference because the dispatcher can change the days minimum/max with the Daily DPS plan. I have been running 130-135 stops for the past year and planning 9 hours and some change . My max has been raised since April and now 140-145 will hardly plan 9 hours.
Work safe,Work by the methods and don't worry about their time allowances or over allowed time. It gives me the greatest of joys to tell my Oncar that I dont worry about facing discipline for over allowed,but I CAN face Discipline if I dont work safe and by the methods when he tries to tell me i'm 'over-allowed'

boxboy

I havent used the new diad yet, soon though, and a virtual time study to follow. If there is no one on the car with you how do they know what your doing inside buildings or if and when your using your handcart

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I havent used the new diad yet, soon though, and a virtual time study to follow. If there is no one on the car with you how do they know what your doing inside buildings or if and when your using your handcart
They dont, its all built in.
They are so smart they just know.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They don't, but they like to pretend like they do.

boxboy

any new chatter about virtual time studies. we are due within the month. any body know how they know you are using your handcart or not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

any new chatter about virtual time studies. we are due within the month. any body know how they know you are using your handcart or not.

Just before the VTS your center team will affix a barcode to your handcart. When you get to a stop that you need to use the handcart, you scan the barcode on the handcart, load the pkgs, complete the stop, and then rescan the barcode on the handcart when you get back to the pkg car.

beentheredonethat

Don't pull into any driveways or parking lots. Walk everything off from the street, even dock stops. Maximize the distance between your package car and delivery point when the stop is completed. Spend extra time in commercial stops looking for sales leads or extra volume.
I can't speak for how virtual time studies are done today. But I did do time studies in the past, granted it was decades ago. If I had a driver who did what you suggest and walk off dock stops etc I would spend the extra time to disallow all of that. Also, any ambiguity I would take away from the driver. Note, an easy way to know is usually there is always a customer who says, hey John, why are you parking there when you normally park around the back and use the dock? etc etc. Or just plain common sense of how the driver performed his day. I would also look at the prior days delivery records to see time between stops etc. It's pretty easy to spot where a driver is trying to do things different on the day of the study. If a driver did the methods and treated it as a normal day and when there was ambiguity I would give the driver the benefit of the doubt.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Just before the VTS your center team will affix a barcode to your handcart. When you get to a stop that you need to use the handcart, you scan the barcode on the handcart, load the pkgs, complete the stop, and then rescan the barcode on the handcart when you get back to the pkg car.

That never happened for us.

barnyard

KTM rider
We gained quite a bit after our VTS. Even though they are their numbers and I don't care, it does make it easier to get an 8 hr day when requested when the numbers are somewhere in the ball park.