Visible tattoo's

CRASH501

OK WHERE TO BEGIN.
I AM HEAVILY TATTOO'D , ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO IN A GENERAL CONVERSATION WITH MY D.M. HE INFORMED ME THAT EFFECTIVE 8-1-08 (UPON NEW CONTRACT'S START ) UPS HIGHER UP'S WOULD BE GUNNING FOR GUYS LIKE MYSELF. AND THAT 1 NEW JERSEY DRIVER HAD ALREADY LOST IN ARBITRATION . UPS WOULD NOW REQUIRE ALL VISIBLE TAT'S BE COVERED LONG SLEEVES AND OR PANTS YEAR ROUND. OR BE TERMINATED.
ME IM A HUMP , I WELCOME THE CHALLENGE,I ACTUALLY HAVE A HIGH POWERED LAWYER READY TO GO ON SUCH A SUIT ( FAMILY MEMBER ) .
:angry:. AFTER ALL I WAS HIRED IN A COLLARED SHIRT AND DOCKER TYPE SHORTS THAT REVEALED MOST OF MY TATS AT THE TIME . IF IM NOT MISTAKEN AND I COULD BE THAT IS JUST ....B.S. DISCRIMINATION AT IT'S FINEST.
NOW TODAY MY LOOP PARTNER WHO DOES THE MIRROR OF MY ROUTE TO THE WEST IS APPROACHED BY ONE OF HIS CUSTOMERS WHO IS A DRIVER IN SECAUCUS N.J. 2 1/2 YEARS ON THE JOB GOES AND GETS A TAT ON HIS FOREARM AND IS APPROACHED BY MANAGEMENT AND TOLD HE MUST NOW WEAR LONG SLEEVES YEAR ROUND .....W.T.friend. I KNOW WE PRIDE OURSELVED ON APPEARANCE BUT THIS IS JUST ....NUKING FUTS....

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Well i am heavily covered.....i have done some pretty crazy things to "keep with the rules"......You dont have to wear long sleeves or long pants......I have gotten a sharpie marker and scribbled on my legs to covere up my tattoos. I have also gotten medical tape and wrapped my legs so the tats wont show. My sups say that they have to be covered but not how they have to be covered. It just says that they cant be visible. After a couple of times they just let it slide. The sharpie got lots of laughs and the medical tape had my coworkers and customers asking me questions all day quite funny. (And yes the sharpie was quite hard to scrub off but ohhh well, it was worth it).

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
I guess just be creative in covering them up. They just have to be covered. How you cover them is up to you. Share some crazy ways to cover up your tats......that would be a great post.

There is a driver in our building who has a lot of tats who wears long sleeves year round but a lot more with tats here and there who don`t. As far as I know no one has been hassled. I suppose if the subject of the tattoo was questionable you should cover it but beyond that,?

CRASH501

there is a driver in our building who has a lot of tats who wears long sleeves year round but a lot more with tats here and there who don`t. As far as i know no one has been hassled. I suppose if the subject of the tattoo was questionable you should cover it but beyond that,?
Im going to have to find all that paperwork we signed upon being hired as again i was hired with visible tats ..
Not 1 of mine can be deemed offensive. Nor have i been bothered about them yet . But i thought this would be an interesting topic

raider6971

raider6971
even worse than that is the no beard policy....i mean come on its 2008...to me thats the biggest joke in ups.......i can see earings and tattos but beards??? or goatee???? its just plain stupid........

barnyard

KTM rider
If you do a search, you should find quite a few threads about tats.

I was in school with a guy that was sent home because of tats. I am pretty sure that he works for the railroad.

Good luck with the lawsuit, I am pretty sure that appearance standards are covered in the contract (it is here). I know the dudes that wanted to wear beards due to religion lost, I'd bet that you do also.

TB

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
If you have a tat of the UPS "shield", do you have to cover it?

If you have a tat of a beard, can you then grow a beard to cover your tat?

If you have tats on your fingers, I guess you have to wear gloves all year. That's gotta look kinda weird. Which is the appearance issue?

So many questions, so little time.....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Well i am heavily covered.....i have done some pretty crazy things to "keep with the rules"......You dont have to wear long sleeves or long pants......I have gotten a sharpie marker and scribbled on my legs to covere up my tattoos. I have also gotten medical tape and wrapped my legs so the tats wont show. My sups say that they have to be covered but not how they have to be covered. It just says that they cant be visible. After a couple of times they just let it slide. The sharpie got lots of laughs and the medical tape had my coworkers and customers asking me questions all day quite funny. (And yes the sharpie was quite hard to scrub off but ohhh well, it was worth it).

Didn't know they made a skin colored sharpie.

If you have a tat of the UPS "shield", do you have to cover it?

If you have a tat of a beard, can you then grow a beard to cover your tat?

If you have tats on your fingers, I guess you have to wear gloves all year. That's gotta look kinda weird. Which is the appearance issue?

So many questions, so little time.....

Aren't we the inquisitive one???

IDoLessWorkThanMost

As a driver, is it allowed to cover ourselves head to toe, with only eyes showing? Not very personable but hey'd be warm for the winter and pretty damn mysterious, plus have no tattoo issues.

scoobypanda

we've heard some gripes about it. the driver they approached was the absolute wrong target though and made management look even more petty than usual. the driver has a big jigsaw puzzle on his leg. he has an autistic son and the autism awareness symbol is the jigsaw puzzle.our defense has been that the appearance guidelines he was hired under did not contain language about visible tattoos. he should be "grandfathered". new hires must agree to the new guideline and all employees must respect the fact that any offensive or potentially offensive tattoos should be covered. a dad with the autism awareness symbol showing in honor of his son, cannot possibly be deemed offensive.

atatbl

As a driver, is it allowed to cover ourselves head to toe, with only eyes showing? Not very personable but hey'd be warm for the winter and pretty damn mysterious, plus have no tattoo issues.

That's an awesome idea. I am picturing something like the uniform that the main character wears in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series. Something like black special ops clothing with browns over it. I think most people would then understand the speed our drivers need to finish their daily "missions" in.

No one would would ask why you don't talk to them enough and are in such a hurry. They would just intelligently assume there was a foreign dignitary visiting somewhere on your route. And you have the task of assassinating said foreign dignitary after you make their delivery.

OK WHERE TO BEGIN.
I AM HEAVILY TATTOO'D , ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO IN A GENERAL CONVERSATION WITH MY D.M. HE INFORMED ME THAT EFFECTIVE 8-1-08 (UPON NEW CONTRACT'S START ) UPS HIGHER UP'S WOULD BE GUNNING FOR GUYS LIKE MYSELF. AND THAT 1 NEW JERSEY DRIVER HAD ALREADY LOST IN ARBITRATION . UPS WOULD NOW REQUIRE ALL VISIBLE TAT'S BE COVERED LONG SLEEVES AND OR PANTS YEAR ROUND. OR BE TERMINATED.
ME IM A HUMP , I WELCOME THE CHALLENGE,I ACTUALLY HAVE A HIGH POWERED LAWYER READY TO GO ON SUCH A SUIT ( FAMILY MEMBER ) .
:angry:. AFTER ALL I WAS HIRED IN A COLLARED SHIRT AND DOCKER TYPE SHORTS THAT REVEALED MOST OF MY TATS AT THE TIME . IF IM NOT MISTAKEN AND I COULD BE THAT IS JUST ....B.S. DISCRIMINATION AT IT'S FINEST.
NOW TODAY MY LOOP PARTNER WHO DOES THE MIRROR OF MY ROUTE TO THE WEST IS APPROACHED BY ONE OF HIS CUSTOMERS WHO IS A DRIVER IN SECAUCUS N.J. 2 1/2 YEARS ON THE JOB GOES AND GETS A TAT ON HIS FOREARM AND IS APPROACHED BY MANAGEMENT AND TOLD HE MUST NOW WEAR LONG SLEEVES YEAR ROUND .....W.T.friend. I KNOW WE PRIDE OURSELVED ON APPEARANCE BUT THIS IS JUST ....NUKING FUTS....

IDoLessWorkThanMost

That's an awesome idea. I am picturing something like the uniform that the main character wears in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series. Something like black special ops clothing with browns over it. I think most people would then understand the speed our drivers need to finish their daily "missions" in.

No one would would ask why you don't talk to them enough and are in such a hurry. They would just intelligently assume there was a foreign dignitary visiting somewhere on your route. And you have the task of assassinating said foreign dignitary after you make their delivery.

yeah, something like that...:happy-very: