Visit from the Tooth Fairy

brownedout

My 5 year old has just lost his first baby tooth. We've had quite a range of what to give ranging from $5 to $100 from friends and co-workers leading up to this moment. Just wondering what everyone has given recently. We decided on $25 and will adjust accordingly if this seems low to us based on what is given these days. Come a long way since the quarter I got back in 1969.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My 5 year old has just lost his first baby tooth. We've had quite a range of what to give ranging from $5 to $100 from friends and co-workers leading up to this moment. Just wondering what everyone has given recently. We decided on $25 and will adjust accordingly if this seems low to us based on what is given these days. Come a long way since the quarter I got back in 1969.

$10 max.

DS

Fenderbender
At five years old,I agree with hoax,start him small,he will realize when it's gone,it's gone.
$25 is too much,he will just blow it.If your approach were realistic,then just buy him an Iphone
and tell him there is no such thing as tooth fairies.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
At five years old,I agree with hoax,start him small,he will realize when it's gone,it's gone.
$25 is too much,he will just blow it.If your approach were realistic,then just buy him an Iphone
and tell him there is no such thing as tooth fairies.

Put the hammer down Thor.

moreluck

golden ticket member
$5 ......TOPS!! He/she is only 5........take them to the 99 Cent store with their money.

$100 a tooth at 5 yrs old......you'll end up with a spoiled brat at 11 or 12.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
$5 is reasonable, the presentation is the most important thing when making an impression on a kid. That's my personal opinion, maybe others have more insight.

over9five

Staff member
I used to give my kids a buck for every tooth that fell out, and ten bucks for every tooth they punched out of some other kid.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My wife just told me she would stick a dime under our kids pillow if the tooth had a cavity, it would have been useless to the Tooth Fairy. I don't remember that, Tooth Fairy was my wife's job.

rod

Retired 22 years
$100 dollars!!!!!!! You must have some of those 1%'ers for friends. I realize prices have gone up but holy crap. When I was about 12 years old the neighbor hired me to babysit their 4 year old and 6 month old. I started at about 5:00 o'clock P.M. and they got home at like 2 o'clock in the morning. They paid me $1.25. (I never babysat again). Two years ago my daughter took her first night out with just her and her husband since she had had twins - she also had a 3 year old. She went to a movie and out to eat and was gone less that 4 hours. Total babysitter bill- $75.00. Times certainly have changed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

$100 for a tooth?? Where were you when I was growing up?

$5-10 seems appropriate.

On a side note, did any of you reward your children monetarily for good grades on a report card?

I've got several big I call them pits of loose change. When ever one of this little crum snatchers looses a tooth I stick my big hand in there and grab some. Then I give it to Mrs. 407 and she sticks it in a tooth fairy sack that the tooth is in and puts it under their pillow. These little animals think they hit the lottery or something when they wake up.

over9five

Staff member
On a side note, did any of you reward your children monetarily for good grades on a report card?

Yes! And (you lucky people), I have a story!

In the school system my kids went to, there was a three tier honor grade score thingy. My kids did alright, so whenever one of them hit honors (A's and B's), we'd take them out for Chinese food. Whenever they hit high honors (All A's), we'd give them ten bucks AND the Chinese food out.
Well, one day they ask what they'd get if they got highest honors (All A+, I guess). Figuring no-one would ever get that, I just said, "Then you get the Chinese food and $50".
And didn't Angie do just that next quarter! Tried to talk my way out of it, "I was kidding!". All I got back was "Pay up!".
I did......!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've got several big I call them pits of loose change. When ever one of this little crum snatchers looses a tooth I stick my big hand in there and grab some. Then I give it to Mrs. 407 and she sticks it in a tooth fairy sack that the tooth is in and puts it under their pillow. These little animals think they hit the lottery or something when they wake up.

Those little "pits" of change really add up.......$98 and change last time at coinstar. We usually just let the granddaughters have the bucket of change and they split it for spending money while at our house. They can buy their own fancy coffee drinks!

moreluck

golden ticket member
You start giving them too much for a tooth and pretty soon they want cars and college educations.
When I was born, minimum wage was 65 cents. I used to get a quarter for a tooth....maybe a 50 cent piece.

One of you mathmeticians out there should figure out where the tooth fairy money would be with today's minimum wage.

Those little "pits" of change really add up.......$98 and change last time at coinstar. We usually just let the granddaughters have the bucket of change and they split it for spending money while at our house. They can buy their own fancy coffee drinks!
I usually use the one in my truck(personal vehicle) to pick up a 24ouncer or two sometimes. I bet there about 75 bucks in there at all times.