Voter Suppression

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No- I hadn't thought about that, and that idea won't work.
Sorry

I am sorry if I came across as harsh but excluding those on public assistance or those who have a net tax of zero from voting just doesn't seem fair to me.

I have no problem showing an ID to vote.

I also see the day where voting will done in the comfort of our own homes.

wkmac

I remember a time when a state agent asking to see one's national ID papers was such that anyone suggesting such would raise the words of communist or nazi or some form of totalitarian state. Now in many circles it almost seems a commonplace solution and in some circles will you get the label of a patriotic and good American. Both conservatives (may be I should qualify that neo-con) and neo-liberals both advocate national identification for different reasons and sometime overlapping but interesting how what was bad is now seen as good.

At the same time, it's of interest to note that many paleo-conservatives, paleo-liberals and many variety of libertarian are united in opposing such solutions. And I stand with them.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Show me a 22 yr old buying beer who does't have to show ID.
Those damn conservatives make him show it.

Everybody has to show an ID to fly

I don't get the big deal......eapecially when anti-ID says it affects the poor people. If they are poor, then they probably on welfare and they had to present more than just an ID to get that.

Don't scream racist....I didn't say anything about color. Poor comes in all colors.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wkmac, you have already stated that you are not an active participant in the process, so perhaps your viewpoint is somewhat tainted on the subject.

I have relayed this story before but I'll do it again. My son and I share the same first and last names. He uses my home address as his permanent mailing address. He doesn't vote but not for the reasons that you choose not to. (I think he's just lazy) I could very easily vote in the morning using my name and signature and in the afternoon using his name and signature and no one would be the wiser.

wkmac

Wkmac, you have already stated that you are not an active participant in the process, so perhaps your viewpoint is somewhat tainted on the subject.

I have relayed this story before but I'll do it again. My son and I share the same first and last names. He uses my home address as his permanent mailing address. He doesn't vote but not for the reasons that you choose not to. (I think he's just lazy) I could very easily vote in the morning using my name and signature and in the afternoon using his name and signature and no one would be the wiser.

I hope I never see you decry the actions of the mafia when you so adamantly are defending the tactics.

island1fox

Upstate,

This is not a personal shot at YOUR son. In general today the "children" that remain at home under mom and pops roof, do not work, many go to college ring up big bills for mom and dad and graduate with no career skills.
They are now classified as children until age 26 by the federal government.

The idea that only people that have paid tax ---that contribute to the general fund --should have a say in the way money is spent should be considered.:wink2:

All too often people that are paying nothing only complain that they want More entitlements. When people --whatever age are not contributing --why should their vote count the same as yours --a man who is slugging packages around all day and paying his fair share ???

It will never happen but it many respects it would be "fair"

bbsam

Staff member
Why is sales tax not tax for the general fund? If people pay no income tax, are they not full citizens? Ridiculous.

av8torntn

Why not? If we are going to require ID for federally protected rights, then the federal government should pick up the tab.

But it's not the federal government mandating an ID it's the states so the federal government should have no issues here.

upsgrunt

People who are on public assistance are basically selling their vote to whomever promises or gives them the most benefits. How is that fair?

Necropostophiliac

I am sorry if I came across as harsh but excluding those on public assistance or those who have a net tax of zero from voting just doesn't seem fair to me.

I also see the day where voting will done in the comfort of our own homes.

Re I also see the day where voting will done in the comfort of our own homes.

That concerns me so much. I do not even trust the ones at the polling place.
The danger that malicious hackers or accidental errors can change your vote.

The story that originated from Volusia County Florida.

A corrupted memory card subtracted 16,000 votes from Al Gore's count in 2000.

Volusia error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bbsam

Staff member
But it's not the federal government mandating an ID it's the states so the federal government should have no issues here.

And states used to have poll taxes and illegal hindrances to voting as well but the federal goverrnment found it very necessary to intervene.

bbsam

Staff member
People who are on public assistance are basically selling their vote to whomever promises or gives them the most benefits. How is that fair?

Billionaires basically sell their vote to politicians who lower their taxes. How is that fair? They also have the luxury of trying to buy the elections.