Wage Progression/Seniority Question

gostillerz

Hi everyone. Quick question.

I've been a reg temp/cover driver since 11/09, but not sure of my exact seniority date. I've been making $17.25 until today's check where I was raised to $18.45. Shouldn't I be at (or close to) the 2 year pay pay rate? I called up my on car and he told me it goes by days worked, not just by the calendar. I can't find anything in the contract book about it, just goes seniority/one year/two years, etc. If he's right, I'm pretty screwed as besides peak, I only drive maybe twice a month if I'm lucky.

Anyone know how it works?

gostillerz

Phil,
I'm in Mid Atlantic. I call in the morning to see if I'm driving. If I'm not, I can work local sort. I think that's the same as a cover driver, not sure though. But yeah, I get screwed.

Upstate,
Well that's really lame. Going at this rate, I won't hit top rate until 2019. 2 guys who went to driving school maybe 3 months before me are at $20.75. Here's what my supplement says under wages:

Start: $16.10
Seniority: $17.25
12 months: $18.45
24 months: $20.75
36 months: Top rate

I can't find anything about "days worked". If I just got the $18.45 as of last week, my seniority date would be in December, right? I started driving in November of 09.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

gostillerz:919738 said:
Phil,
I'm in Mid Atlantic. I call in the morning to see if I'm driving. If I'm not, I can work local sort. I think that's the same as a cover driver, not sure though. But yeah, I get screwed.

Upstate,
Well that's really lame. Going at this rate, I won't hit top rate until 2019. 2 guys who went to driving school maybe 3 months before me are at $20.75. Here's what my supplement says under wages:

I can't find anything about "days worked". If I just got the $18.45 as of last week, my seniority date would be in December, right? I started driving in November of 09.[/QUOT

Do you find anything in your rider about temp/ reg drivers or what ever your job title is?? If not there is a problem.

In my area pt don't drive. Cover drivers are FT drivers that just don't have there own route. They cover when drivers are on vacation or do splits.

philmydoyle

Just file
Sorry for the slow response....Holidays
but I've been searching for a good answer for you and until i hear back from my people the best advice I can give you is to speak to your driver Union steward. That person should be able to provide you with the information you need. You said you can't get your seniority date is that because they won't provide you with that information? If thats the case let you steward know about that as well

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Article 63, Section 2, Paragraph 3.
Your fulltime wage progression is determined by days worked as a reg temp not by your hire date, with the caveat that as long as you work at least one day in any week you will get credit for the whole week.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In Upstates own district, cover drivers(casuals, temp cover driver-whatever you call it-a pt'er coving a route) who have over two years in are at $25.??.

menotyou

bella amicizia
gostillerz:919738 said:
Phil,

Upstate,

I can't find anything about "days worked". If I just got the $18.45 as of last week, my seniority date would be in December, right? I started driving in November of 09.[/QUOT

Do you find anything in your rider about temp/ reg drivers or what ever your job title is?? If not there is a problem.

In my area pt don't drive. Cover drivers are FT drivers that just don't have there own route. They cover when drivers are on vacation or do splits.
HR will give you your seniority date. That hate operations. :winks:

gostillerz

Talked to my steward today. He said you need a certain about of days worked for the raise. That really sucks. By driving once or twice a month, it'll take quite a while to get to top rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was a casual you had to have 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter. Why wouldn't this policy extend to pay increases? How fair would it be that an employee who works only one or two days a month get the same pay raises that an employee who works every day does?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not bad---a not so subtle dig at my off the street hire status.

Some of us have to get ready to go to work to help pay for those on the inactive roster. Dave.
Shows what you know. My pay comes directly out of BR's operating budget. Thanks for the concern, Nanc.
Inactive? How can I be inactive, yet have former​ co-workers?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Get to work. I have soaps to watch and finger nails to paint, As you say, someone has to work so I can order a pizza tonite.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
order a pizza tonite.
Lou Malnati's - Tastes of Chicago 1-800-Lou-To-Go
lou_malnatis_deep_dish_pizza1.jpg
lou_malnatis_deep_dish_pizza1.jpg