wages for driving

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by chknlytle, Oct 11, 2011.

1. chknlytle

chknlytle New Member

just wondering, im not driver certified so im holding a type 4 permit until my license test date which is another week from now. with peak season coming up, volume is rising at my center and theres a shortage of drivers, management asked me to go on road as a helper (i work preload). while on road, the driver (who's also a sup) let's me drive back to the hub for "practice." am i entilted to top-pay versus my regular helper-pay? if so, for how many hours? is this even legal within ups?

2. DS

DS Fenderbender

Not as far as I know,maybe you should just be quiet,it smells like a driving job to me.

3. rod

rod retired and happy

You do realize that if you get in an accident while driving back your driver/sup will swear on a stack of bibles that you high jacked the truck from him and no way in hell did he "let" you drive.

4. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

You get driver pay in that jump seat with a sup driving. Stay in the jump seat.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I Googled "Type 4 Permit" and the only state that came up was Hawaii. According to the website, the OP is allowed to drive as long as there is a licensed driver in the vehicle. It is the same as when we all first learned how to drive by driving with a parent in the car.

You do not get driver pay for practice driving.

6. Backlasher

Backlasher Stronger, Faster, Browner

So then it is a driver's permit??? I thought it might be.

Dude, fo u tell him thanks dad afterwards,Lol. I think its nice of him to let you get practice on a ups truck but isn't that a liability sence u have a Temp licence and is this even permited as strick as we are on who drives.