Wages: Lets get to the facts

Serf

Nobody gets taught how to be a courier. We all learned on the job as the training they give is worthless. I'm sorry but you have no clue as to what a courier is expected to do on a daily basis. You are basically a handler that drives a shuttle to the ramp. Not much thinking involved in that.
Well no. Long ago their was a courier test, then it went to 2 weeks of training in class and on the road training. Now, at least for me it went to: "hey we have nobody willing to work, can you take these P2's out, etc, etc. And not exactly. I have a set route, I am a shuttle driver by title. Not a handler. And driving to the ramp is a guarantee for OT a week.

MAKAVELI

Well no. Long ago their was a courier test, then it went to 2 weeks of training in class and on the road training. Now, at least for me it went to: "hey we have nobody willing to work, can you take these P2's out, etc, etc. And not exactly. I have a set route, I am a shuttle driver by title. Not a handler. And driving to the ramp is a guarantee for OT a week.
We all have had that 2 weeks of " training". And any courier will tell you it's worthless once you are on road. You may have the title of shuttle driver, but you are nothing but a handler that drives a truck to the ramp. Again not much thinking involved and would commensurate your wage. And I wouldn't get to comfy in that job as they usually change or get cut quite often.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I shake my head in wonderment every time I see FedEx in yet another 'Best Places To Work' list and think to myself 'man, there must be some major :censored2: out there'. And then I remember that it's just the good ol' corporate PR spin team hard at work again. I sure hope they're being compensated well.

P

prodriver

Nobody gets taught how to be a courier. We all learned on the job as the training they give is worthless. I'm sorry but you have no clue as to what a courier is expected to do on a daily basis. You are basically a handler that drives a shuttle to the ramp. Not much thinking involved in that.
Sure you can teach someone how to be a courier halfway anyway, alot of it is self taught.

P

prodriver

That'se="DRAisawesome, post: 1277715, member: 46762"]Just starting a thread to get the word out for people that are trolling this site for advice or what to expect at FedEx. I know don't put your exact pay or years of service because yes I'm sure management is looking at this site. This should be interesting to say the least. Ground drivers put your per hour rate or daily rate with your avg hours per day.

I'll start. $15.50 with 7-9 years of service at express. That amounts to $32,240 annually. You can determine if that is a livable wage or not.[/quote]
That's based on straight 40 hours, no ot at all is that the way it is at express?

dezguy

I shake my head in wonderment every time I see FedEx in yet another 'Best Places To Work' list and think to myself 'man, there must be some major :censored2: out there'. And then I remember that it's just the good ol' corporate PR spin team hard at work again. I sure hope they're being compensated well.

I find it hilarious to see that FedEx has been named one of the top 100 companies to work for, year after year yet no one has ever asked me what I think of working at FedEx. Just who do they talk to to determine FedEx is such a workplace utopia?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I find it hilarious to see that FedEx has been named one of the top 100 companies to work for, year after year yet no one has ever asked me what I think of working at FedEx. Just who do they talk to to determine FedEx is such a workplace utopia?

I just had a customer the other day ask me if FedEx is a good place to work, because she heard it was a great company. Before I could stop myself, I told her that it used to be a good place to work, not anymore..

hypo hanna

People in Memphis. Management and support people driving a desk.

Serf

Of course in Canada, we're getting a better deal than you guys because we don't have the RLA holding us back from unionizing.
What do ya know, dezguy disagrees with another post. But has no founded argument or counter points.

Serf

We all have had that 2 weeks of " training". And any courier will tell you it's worthless once you are on road. You may have the title of shuttle driver, but you are nothing but a handler that drives a truck to the ramp. Again not much thinking involved and would commensurate your wage. And I wouldn't get to comfy in that job as they usually change or get cut quite often.
The training is worthless. But it does give a good idea of how to go about performing unskilled labor. Mostly DRA routes at my station. My "wage" is higher then some couriers in parts of the country. If you thinking of me as a handler that drives a truck to the ramp makes you feel better, I am ok with that. And I don't think it's a job that gets cut quite often. As the 7 Shuttle Drivers we have all have 10 years plus of service. The only negative to this is they are all at 19-22.00$ and me being the newest one is at 15.89. Still I am thankful for the extra money, benefits, and 401k.

MAKAVELI

The training is worthless. But it does give a good idea of how to go about performing unskilled labor. Mostly DRA routes at my station. My "wage" is higher then some couriers in parts of the country. If you thinking of me as a handler that drives a truck to the ramp makes you feel better, I am ok with that. And I don't think it's a job that gets cut quite often. As the 7 Shuttle Drivers we have all have 10 years plus of service. The only negative to this is they are all at 19-22.00$ and me being the newest one is at 15.89. Still I am thankful for the extra money, benefits, and 401k.
It doesn't make me feel better but I guess the title makes you feel better about yourself. You go ahead and be thankful for the extra $ and the rest of us will keep earning a living. You being new do not have a perspective of where this company is headed. But no worries, in time you will.

dezguy

What do ya know, dezguy disagrees with another post. But has no founded argument or counter points.

I'm sorry I didn't stroke your ego. After all, I'm just a dumb courier as you've eluded to many times since showing up here. Surely anyone doing this job can't match wits with a handler like yourself.

P

prodriver

Just being safe in a commercial vehicle is "skilled" then add driving where a courier does well that just takes it another level. Migrant Worker a driver is a driver a handler is a handler.

Serf

You go ahead and be thankful for the extra $ and the rest of us will keep earning a living. Yo

I shall remain thankful. Thankful I was innovative in diversifying the way to earn a living.

I'm sorry I didn't stroke your ego.
Not asking for an ego stroking D. I was requesting a thoughtful debate as to my statements. I use sarcasm, facts, and verbally spar. I try my best not to verbally harass or lash out.

Just being safe in a commercial vehicle is "skilled" then add driving where a courier does well that just takes it another level. Migrant Worker a driver is a driver a handler is a handler.

Oh yes, being safe in a Fedex vehicle is skilled. Excellent resume point. Your labor provides a significant part of the overall labor market, performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. Jobs that can be fully learned in less than 30 days often fall into the unskilled labor category.

bbsam

Staff member
Our competitors. As their job classification and duties are the most similar to ours. And for the record I don't think we should be paid UPS wages and benefits but we should be competitive.
You make a lot more than regional drivers who do essentially the same job.

MAKAVELI

You make a lot more than regional drivers who do essentially the same job.
Yes we do make more than regional drivers. But from what I've seen they are even less professional and more unsafe than the average ground driver. And those regional drivers do not work for a multi $ billion company that does business worldwide. Again, there is no reason a multi $ billion company who prides itself as a top company to work for to treat it's frontline workers with such disdain. There is absolutely no justification.

MAKAVELI

I shall remain thankful. Thankful I was innovative in diversifying the way to earn a living.

Not asking for an ego stroking D. I was requesting a thoughtful debate as to my statements. I use sarcasm, facts, and verbally spar. I try my best not to verbally harass or lash out.

Oh yes, being safe in a Fedex vehicle is skilled. Excellent resume point. Your labor provides a significant part of the overall labor market, performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. Jobs that can be fully learned in less than 30 days often fall into the unskilled labor category.
I guess you haven't diversified yourself enough to be working an unskilled job with stagnant wages and poor benefits. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would be doing something totally different for a lot more $. Nice try though bro. You are one of the dumb asses just like the rest of us.