Waiting I have to call 1st

c23jmp

cjay
Anyone ever have a customer say I cant sign cause X is not here but wait I will call to see if its ok to sign and by the way its a nda and you still have nda stops left??

Yes. And they have as long as it takes to write down the info on a delivery notice and inform them that I'll make another attempt when I get back in the area or that Mr. Not there to sign can find me onroute and with proper I.D. sign and receive pkg.

Maybe a little longer if the person in the office is polite or an extremely cute girl.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You can call and ask them if you can sign it, and when I come back through tomorrow with the package if you are still authorized to sign for it, then go nuts

brown bomber

brown bomber
or perhaps, use the option of no adult available to sign.......obviously the one at the desk is not entrusted to make an informed "adult" decision.......I've done this when I was a driver...not sure if this would float now

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This happens a lot with any foreign family member of the person who ordered that doesn't speak English. It usually starts off with a finger in the motion to wait, by the time I see them reaching for their cell phone I'm already handing them the info notice. Amazingly the next day (or later in the day if I'm delivering ground on that street) they immediately are able to sign or the person who ordered the package is there. I'm not going to compromise other paying customers packages because someone doesn't want/can't sign for the package they paid to have delivered in a basically two hour window (excluding 12:30 commit areas).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I remember one time when I had just spent about 15 minutes sorting, digging, scanning and loading about 350lbs of copy paper and office supplies onto a hand cart and fighting to get it up the stairs and thru a long hallway to the storage area of the office I was delivering to. It was hot, the truck was full, the load was crap, I only had half an hour left before I had to start my pickups, and I needed that damn pile gone.

So I finally muscle it in there, and when I ask the secretary to sign she said "Im sorry, but we have a new receiving procedure and I need to call my manager, he is the only one authorized to sign. He is in our other building, he can be here in about 5 or 10 minutes."

I didnt have 10 minutes. I tried my standard bluff, telling her that I couldnt wait and that if she didnt sign I would have to sheet them all as "refused" and sent them back. She didnt fall for it, and insisted that only the manager could sign. I didnt have time (or the energy) to haul that pile all the way back down to the truck, and with less than 30 minutes to go before pickups I didnt have room for it either. One way or another, it had to go.

So I lied. I told her, "Ok, I understand, so here is what I can do. If you sign the back of this delivery notice, it will authorize me to bring them back later today instead of returning them to the shipper. I just need your signature on the delivery notice so that I can show my boss that I was here. One other thing..can I use your restroom before I leave?"

She took the bait. Fish on! She signed the back of the delivery notice and then returned to her desk, assuming that I would be using the restroom on my way out. As soon as the coast was clear, I pulled my handcart out from under the pile and snuck out through a side door so she wouldnt see me. Mission accomplished!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I see a lot of refused or NR on here why waste your time with an info notice

I had already invested 15 minutes of UPS's time and my sweat muscling that 300 lb load out of the car and up the steps to the copy room.

It would not have been in the best interests of the shipper, the consignee or UPS for me to spend another 15 minutes hauling it back to the truck and RTS'ing it.

gotbrown

that wouldn't fly in my center.. All business has to have a signature at time of delivery, I thought it was a company thing but guess not... Your way would help out with a lot of my problem cust ...

c23jmp

cjay
Lol all those are great answers!! When I returned the next day the idiot that could've signed had the nerve to say I could have waited 5 mins!!! I walked out the door laughing my head off!!!