Walked off the job today!!!!

bbsam

Staff member
You reach a breaking point, you quit. With or without notice, whatever. But leaving the vehicles full of customers packages? No. That's not right.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
  • Glad you are okay
  • Far as I'm concerned, the engine wouldn't shut off
  • No need to worry about finding another JOB .. FedEx NEVER gives bad "Letters of Recommendation"
  • Good luck to you .. being stressed out could have turned out much worse

dezguy

I don't care what company you're talking about. That kind of reckless indifference is inexcusable. As bad as the contractor obviously is does not excuse the OPs actions.

I'm sorry but if I'm given a death trap to drive around and something like that happened to me, I'd do the same. It is the employers (in this case route owner) responsibility to make sure the vehicles his employees have to drive are safe. Obviously that isn't the case here. At my Sta we have our mechanic checking out every truck before they go out on road each morning. I guess that would have cut too far into this contractors profits.

As I said in my first comment, thank God he was moving at a low rate of speed when this happened otherwise it could have been a lot worse. I would like to know how you would have reacted to something that could have prevented you from going home to your family.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm sorry but if I'm given a death trap to drive around and something like that happened to me, I'd do the same. It is the employers (in this case route owner) responsibility to make sure the vehicles his employees have to drive are safe. Obviously that isn't the case here. At my Sta we have our mechanic checking out every truck before they go out on road each morning. I guess that would have cut too far into this contractors profits.

As I said in my first comment, thank God he was moving at a low rate of speed when this happened otherwise it could have been a lot worse. I would like to know how you would have reacted to something that could have prevented you from going home to your family.
First I'd get a hold of my emotions. Then I'd start taking pictures and making notes to send to Ground's safety department. Then I'd write it up complete with photos. And shop it around to local papers. Then I would resign immediately and go to work for another contractor. But I guess I'm a bit more grown up than some.

dezguy

First I'd get a hold of my emotions. Then I'd start taking pictures and making notes to send to Ground's safety department. Then I'd write it up complete with photos. And shop it around to local papers. Then I would resign immediately and go to work for another contractor. But I guess I'm a bit more grown up than some.

Yes, you're so much more mature than the rest of us. Especially when you argue just for the sake of arguing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It's easy to armchair quarterback this, especially if you are an ISP who doesn't see it the same way as an actual player on the field. You're up in the owners' box, looking down on the action. Except in this league, the players make squat.

bbsam

Staff member
It wouldn't matter if it was my son on a paper route. You don't drop the bundle of papers in the middle of the street and walk away. I can't believe there is so much support for this from someone who often references his "moral compass".

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
If you actually look at his threads that he has started, this is a fairly well documented case of someone who just couldn't take it anymore.

Mind you, Sam, I never said anything about how he handled this situation with the wheel.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree. All well documented and more evidence that he had ample opportunity to handle his exit or continued employment in a professional and respectable manner. It didn't have to come to this and both the contractor and OP bear responsibility.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You really do believe your own BS don't you?

I'll bet you wear T-shirts with pictures of yourself on them.

oldngray

nowhere special
c4de59d6962be01fb3e59bb34dfdcddc.jpg

vantexan

The way I left was to tell them I was leaving almost 4 months before I finally did. They were shorthanded, and believe me it bothered them. Actually think pretty highly of my last ops mgr, but have no pity for the senior mgr. She was a corporate BSer, and thought she had me when she asked me why didn't I leave if I didn't like the pay situation. She'd never admit it, but I saw the look of shock in her eyes when I told her "but I AM leaving." I had often played out in my mind what I'd say when I finally left, what I'd do. But the look in her eyes, that she needed me more than I needed her, was good enough for me. They think they can get away with everything because they have employees over the barrel. Sometimes it's better to just walk away than to continue to put up with the B.S.. Even if it causes you financial problems. Your next employer might be, heck, probably will be, a lying BSer too, but at least you no longer have to put up with the previous one. And in the case of safety, if a driver is put in an unsafe vehicle, it seems it's the employer/contractor with the moral dilemma concerning those pkgs. If they're on a Ground truck I doubt it's life saving medicine, so folks will just have to wait a little longer for their sweaters and fruitcake. If FedEx wants employees who feel an obligation to protect the freight, then FedEx should act like they have an obligation to be honest with their employees, and keep their promises. Amen.

DontThrowPackages

Lack of professionalism; A driver who walks off the job leaving his vehicle and not alerting management VS a company who allowed a driver to go out into the public with a dangerous vehicle which luckily had its wheel fall off at a loading dock and not on the freeway at 55MPH or near an elementary school or even a bridge.
If this had been the drivers first and only bad experience, maybe one could say he could have let someone from the company know what happened and not go to such to such an extreme. It seems to me, he tried awful hard to make it work and do right by the company. But the company failed him. He could have lost he life in that van and the OP realized it. And when that happens, it becomes personal. Talk professionalism all you want but if the big boss takes your wife into a room during the Christmas party and forces himself on her, you may wait for him to finish because interrupting may somehow affect you relationship with him and business dealings but not everyone is you. I can't say 90pct of couriers I know wouldn't have done the same thing if put in his shoes. I'm just glad nobody died for the sake of a dollar.