Walking Past Security

Cowboy Mac

Instead of getting mad have some fun , when they ask you to take off your boots sit right there in the way and all of sudden get a knot and just waste as much time as you can to the point that the guy gets mad and everyone is :censored2:

You're right. It's a bad idea to refuse outright and walk away. I definitely don't want to lose my job over that. The way I am is if I'm forced to follow a rule that I think is stupid, I will follow that rule to a T. That way I can't get in trouble for breaking the rule and I show the world how idiotic the rule is.

Example: My city placed some of those electronic speed limit signs on the road that I took to school. The signs would change from 70 down to 55, 45, even 35 during times of heavy traffic. Except the signs took too long to change so it would still read 35 when the flow was going 60 again. Well I started following the signs to a T. People were flying by me, honking, flipping me the bird. Those signs were gone the next week.

Maybe I need to apply some of that in this situation.

I did talk to my steward today and she said that we have to comply and that I should get boots without steel toes. I think I'll keep my toes intact and just make security miserable until they leave me alone.

clean hairy

I was once told I had to take my boots off, I complained that I felt it was unsanitary to walk through without my boots on, could catch a fungus or disease that someone left behind, and that I have sensitive feet. I may hurt my bare feet walking on the concrete. I threatened to sue the security company for forcing me to injure myself, they let me pass, and was never told to take off my boots again. This was several years ago before I became a driver
Try pulling that stunt at the Airport and see where it gets you!
Everyone is required to take off their shoes and you will refuse and threaten to sue?
Get belligerent enough, and TSA will be have you kissing the carpet!
If you respect the minimum wage employees at the airport trying to make a buck, why do you not respect the same folks at UPS who are just doing their jobs and trying to make a buck?

Everyone is required to take off their shoes and you will refuse and threaten to sue?
If you respect the minimum wage employees at the airport trying to make a buck, why do you not respect the same folks at UPS who are just doing their jobs and trying to make a buck?

To my surprise, I found out a few years ago when job hunting that TSA officers start at $15/16 per hour. That being said, there's a difference between someone trying to do their job and someone on a power trip.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Because the TSA and UPS's "security" are two completely different things. I have no problem with reasonable and rational security precautions, but I get pissed when my time is being wasted trying to get in and out of work by "security" that is a complete and utter joke.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the reason given at our hub about taking off shoes was that a part timer got caught hiding a I-Phone in his boot with steel toes. that only lasted a couple days because of the outcry.

PrimeUPS

Different buildings have different procedures for security depending on what is going on in that area at the time. They will ebb and flow. However, UPS can and will enforce one simple sign that I've seen at every guard shack which generally says something to the effect of "you must comply with security and show ID".
As with most things, do it and then outcry/grieve/complain/etc later. It's not worth being late to your shift or taking baggage home for doing what they ask you to do.

browntroll

i dont make it my job to mess with security guards specially if they are nice and i know they make less money then our new hires.
on the other hand i will mess with them if they try to mess with me. only time i have walked past them was when they decided
to make one security guard check ppl coming in and out so i just walked in while the guard was busy he didnt seem to care
about who walked in only who walked out.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I've never walked past security, but I've gotten out of the package car and moved their stupid cones blocking the entrance to the yard many times because they were too lazy/slow to come out of their little box, check my ID, and move them. I've seen feeder drivers plow right over the cones after seeing me squeeze by in a PC... god only knows how long they waited before it came to that.
The illusion of safety is all that matters to UPS.

Cowboy Mac

the reason given at our hub about taking off shoes was that a part timer got caught hiding a I-Phone in his boot with steel toes. that only lasted a couple days because of the outcry.

That's what my steward said. Some guy from a different sort got caught with a phone in his boots.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
its possible that some idiot in feeder making over 100k a year in wages and bennies to try to steal something but highly unlikely.

I don't like it either but its the world we live in.

Cowboy Mac

Glad I work at a small hub with no security.

Yeah you're lucky.

I'm working on a plan right now to get this boots business to stop. I'm going to file a grievance today for harassment. I'm going to argue that they are singling me out. My steward said that every employee must remove their boots if they set the detector off, even drivers and supervisors. Last night a driver walked through and beeped but he didn't have to take his boots off. They checked one pocket of his bag but not the whole thing. I asked why he didn't and the guard responded with "He's a driver."

Fragile

In that amazon case I believe there are laws that enable the employer to maintain a certain level of security in order to prevent loss.

Fragile

In that amazon case I believe that the employees lost their case since there are laws that enable the employer to maintain a certain level of security in order to prevent loss

browntroll

Yeah you're lucky.

I'm working on a plan right now to get this boots business to stop. I'm going to file a grievance today for harassment. I'm going to argue that they are singling me out. My steward said that every employee must remove their boots if they set the detector off, even drivers and supervisors. Last night a driver walked through and beeped but he didn't have to take his boots off. They checked one pocket of his bag but not the whole thing. I asked why he didn't and the guard responded with "He's a driver."
samething used to happen in my hub not sure what happened but it finally stopped one day and i was happy. they finally started checking all the management, people with suits, drivers and even cops that go in and out. i stood outside and watched as the ppl were trying to just walk through finally got stopped and wanded they had a
look of horror on their face it was priceless.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Last night a driver walked through and beeped but he didn't have to take his boots off. They checked one pocket of his bag but not the whole thing. I asked why he didn't and the guard responded with "He's a driver."
Drivers shouldn't be scrutinized as hard as inside employees. If we were going to be thieves it's highly unlikely we'd bring the stolen item back to the building then walk through the guard shack. Thieves would hide it on area or something.