Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You know you have been here to long when some of your past helpers have 15 or 20 years seniority!!
well at least I can loo back and say I must of trained them well !! LOL

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just had the "False Santa" yesterday. Since he worked 6.5 hours, he may come up a little short.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The "False Santa" or the "Collegiate"?

The Collegiate- The "collegiate" is a college student. Home from break, he is eager to earn money. Smart, young, and hard working, this type makes a excellent helper. They pick up fast and need little guidance. They adjust rapidly making smart calls such as moving toward the truck and waiting on the right side of the street saving the driver time.

The MOM- The "Mom" often is a stay at home mom with children now at the age where she can leave them alone for some time. The job of helper seems exciting, fun, even challenging. She often shows up wearing makeup and perfume, and the pants never seem to fit right. She will start the day asking, "what time will we be done"(?), worried that she has to be home by 5 PM to drive little ones to ballet or hockey. The "Mom talks all day about her kids until the driver is stabbing his ears. This helper type often packs huge lunches and goodies.

The Drifter- The "Drifter" has had at least 20 jobs even thought he is only 24 years old. Under closer examination, you will find he left those jobs because the boss was "screwing" him somehow. The drifter works slow, very slow. Quite often, this type will walk the wrong way while making a delivery despite you pointing the opposite direction. He will not show during inclement weather or in case of hangover. Despite lack of funds, this type has a nice cell phone which, he will try to use all day. He can be spotted driving a 15 year old car with major dents.

Lost in Space- This type thinks somehow, this job will lead to full time employment. They work as a helper but keep wondering when they will start driving.

Sports Radio- This type very quickly will talk sports, usually football this time of the year. Before long, an amazing reportorial of facts, stats, and names come forth. No need for a radio with this type. This type can be a good worker, but the driver must be sure to halt any and all chat at delivery time.

False Santa- Somehow, this type thinks they can earn a whole lot of shopping money with this job. Problem is, they start in mid December. They usually had the idea of working more hours to earn the money they need.

Nick O' Teen- This type really loves the coffin nails. Often seen getting "one last drag" at pick up. His first words will be, "Can I smoke"? Often, this type is a off shoot of "The Drifter" type. Despite lack of funds, there is always money for the cell phone and the smokes.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...types-and-personalities.353500/#ixzz3tV4xwxPy

QualityLoads

The Lost in Space guys crack me up, but you have to feel kind of sorry for them. I always tell them that driver helper is a temporary job and doesn't get their foot in the door, but that doing well as a driver helper doesn't hurt when you go to apply for a permanent position. There are two pre-loaders at my center who were driver helpers first.

Out here in the sticks we have the redneck version of the Collegiate which I guess you could call the Farm Boy. A year or two out of high school, these kids were raised on long hours of work in all kinds of weather. Carrying a 30-lb box in 30-degrees is their idea of a vacation compared to lifting 100-lb feed sacks in 10 degrees at 4 a.m. They're always on time, and they know how to dress warmly.

I was the lost in space helper two years ago. I remember when being trained on the diad as a helper, the on road supe said theres a chance one of us can be drivers within a year. I remembered those words and told myself i would be one of those guys to become a driver.

I started as a driver helper in November 2013, got hired on preload in march 2014, and i became a driver (tcd) in october 2014. Im at 48k so far this year. Not bad for a part time gig. A man can dream. Dream on helpers. Heres a 100 pound irreg with no handcart, go get em killer.

HandleMyPackage-Mgt

Richard in a box
After many years of working with Drivers Helpers, I feel comfortable in sharing some observations. Patterns suggest we can group them into key groups. Of course, I'm not a psychologist, nor, do I play one on TV, however, having said that, here are my observations in no special order.

The Collegiate- The "collegiate" is a college student. Home from break, he is eager to earn money. Smart, young, and hard working, this type makes a excellent helper. They pick up fast and need little guidance. They adjust rapidly making smart calls such as moving toward the truck and waiting on the right side of the street saving the driver time.

The MOM- The "Mom" often is a stay at home mom with children now at the age where she can leave them alone for some time. The job of helper seems exciting, fun, even challenging. She often shows up wearing makeup and perfume, and the pants never seem to fit right. She will start the day asking, "what time will we be done"(?), worried that she has to be home by 5 PM to drive little ones to ballet or hockey. The "Mom talks all day about her kids until the driver is stabbing his ears. This helper type often packs huge lunches and goodies.

The Drifter- The "Drifter" has had at least 20 jobs even thought he is only 24 years old. Under closer examination, you will find he left those jobs because the boss was "screwing" him somehow. The drifter works slow, very slow. Quite often, this type will walk the wrong way while making a delivery despite you pointing the opposite direction. He will not show during inclement weather or in case of hangover. Despite lack of funds, this type has a nice cell phone which, he will try to use all day. He can be spotted driving a 15 year old car with major dents.

Lost in Space- This type thinks somehow, this job will lead to full time employment. They work as a helper but keep wondering when they will start driving.

Sports Radio- This type very quickly will talk sports, usually football this time of the year. Before long, an amazing reportorial of facts, stats, and names come forth. No need for a radio with this type. This type can be a good worker, but the driver must be sure to halt any and all chat at delivery time.

False Santa- Somehow, this type thinks they can earn a whole lot of shopping money with this job. Problem is, they start in mid December. They usually had the idea of working more hours to earn the money they need.

Nick O' Teen- This type really loves the coffin nails. Often seen getting "one last drag" at pick up. His first words will be, "Can I smoke"? Often, this type is a off shoot of "The Drifter" type. Despite lack of funds, there is always money for the cell phone and the smokes.

Ahhhhh...helpers, the necessary evil of Christmas! It's like the real life Bad Santa!

Can't stand helpers really. Can't stand the HR personal that hires them to begin with, to be honest.

I try like hell to see every helper team I have for the plain fact that I want each helper to understand that I will ruin them if the friend with my drivers. Not having some POS "thug" or fat out of shape "white trash" mess with my driver units Safety, Servic, or Profucion elements. I have no time for them to disrespect my drivers or my business elements bc they "are what they are" type if people.

In the end, I make sure I identify quality helpers and put them with my horses and salvage the POS helpers and control their behaviors and attitudes. God forbid they get hurt, bc I don't have time for that stupidity. Especially when my drivers can complete thousands of stops w/o injury. I might be ignorant or a little bit "angry" with this but helper have given me just cause over the years.

Great post!
Some additional helper groups...

THUGS
WHITE TRASH
PREGO's (yes have had pregnant helpers)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
After many years of working with Drivers Helpers, I feel comfortable in sharing some observations. Patterns suggest we can group them into key groups. Of course, I'm not a psychologist, nor, do I play one on TV, however, having said that, here are my observations in no special order.

Just as funny today as it was in 2013

LMAO!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
My last year in package 03 , I realized really how low we've stooped when my helper couldn't meet me beacause he had to go see his parole officer !!!
I'm sure it's gotten worse !!

Rack em

Made the Podium
My last year in package 03 , I realized really how low we've stooped when my helper couldn't meet me beacause he had to go see his parole officer !!!
My helper last peak couldn't meet me because he still had 6 months left on his prison sentence.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
At least they are seeing a P.O., I've seen some pretty hardened people come through UPS. Including some seasonals strung out on drugs, during shift, stealing from people's bags , sleeping in break rooms, etc. etc.. All because UPS makes deals with sketchy hiring organizations.

And no, they weren't from Lawrence! (not every time)

This time of year, I don't trust anyone and it's a pretty rotten feeling

Seasonal help is hit or miss, basically

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)