Walmart using UPS for Same-Day Delivery in Select Markets

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Who said anything about late air?

NDA deliveries will keep em going until 10:30. I'll admit while making that post for some reason I thought of air savers as well. Sure, have to figure out how to fill that 1:20 window (if these are FT positions this could be the lunch period for these routes, leaving 20mins to be filled). Brainstorming, really. Perhaps could use them to pickup misloads from drivers who call them in. The potential is there.

oldrps

We CAN shuttle late air without misloads or sups working, it's just now there may not seem to be a major need (from the company's point of view). This would be a major service, and they would do a lot to make this work; i.e. have the resources. UPS could win big here if they tried, as I don't think FedEx' Ground unit could handle this yet, and Express is currently being cannibalized for ground, removing some of its capacity.

FedEx is already doing same day deliveries in 20 major US metro areas; FedEx Same Day cross-city delivery within hours, Zip Codes Served. I will bet it is expensive though.

brownIEman

I can't see any way to make that work. Air drivers would be a huge looser for UPS, as the union would claim this was ground volume. And they would be correct. Sure it is the same day, but it is picked up and delivered in one area, always on the ground. Which would not only cost UPS ground rates for these shags (low volume of stops, high miles) it would increase the cost of UPS delivering the air routes for the morning as well (deliver one ground piece, get paid ground the entire day). Shags are by far the most costly packages for UPS to deliver. So, by suggesting offering sure post prices to win this volume, you are suggesting we offer our lowest rates (lowest income to UPS) for what would be some of our highest cost packages. We would most likely lose money on every package. When you are losing money on each unit, getting more and more of those units does not help.