Walter Reed Medical Center

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I watched these hearings this morning, some of the things I heard just sickened me. Its bad enough being in good shape trying to fight the red tape and bureaucracy, but to be injured and told to get on your way? I know its early and heads should roll, but isnt this typical of most govt agencies? I think the agencies should learn some of the "sense of urgency" that those of us have and should have, to do time sensitive work. I was just interested to hear thoughts of those who have been through it, or know about it. This is in my world an important issue. I begin to think of all the people in our govt, and congress who say they have visited, did they not talk to the actual people who had things to say or just the front office who showed off the goods? God help them if it had been my son, there who needed help, and could not get it. Heads would have rolled then. They say 1/4 of the guys who are there have no family? Seems like the wounded warrior program, and the DVA were the only help they got. Sad very sad, I hope it was only a few who got the shaft, and that is not acceptible either.

Sammie

This is not really news. I belong to the Disabled American Veterans Assoc. because my grandfather was injured while in the service. We do a lot of volunteer work in Veteran's Hospitals and in various centers. I began this work in the 1970's and even back then I was horrified at the condition of my local Veteran's hospital. This issue is something we really need to kick and scream about....

Sammie

Have you kicked and screamed about it since the 70's????

Veteran's hospitals are federal institutions; good luck to anyone who thinks they can overhaul that. I have gone to DAV chapter meetings where we voiced our concerns about the hospital conditions and were told those concerns would be channelled correctly. Probably should have done a whole lot more than that.

Spending time with our vets is something hard to put into words. Walking into a room filled with amputees of varying degrees and having THEM cheer US up to break the ice because they sense our ackwardness is beyond any description.

Now that these facility conditions are front page news, hopefully things will improve quickly. I worked for the govt.
before UPS so I know what "quickly" means in their terms, but we can only hope.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
well since its been going on since the 70s that we have heard on here alone, lets not just blame GW.
From what I heard on the news it is a longstanding federal thing. Red tape and closed doors, and everyone passing the blame to someone else. But it should not happen. I never had anyone in the military in my family that ever came home wounded, or anyone I knew wounded. I did go to several facilities in Ohio and PA with people who used their benefits at the VA, and although the wait was long, they did get good service. No longer than the wait I have experienced at doc offices, so I did not think it unusual.
But I would think these people deserved the best. And I hope now, they will get it. Too bad it took this long.

tieguy

Banned
veterans have always gotten crappy care as thanks for their service so I'm kind of suspicious that this issue came up at this time like it was something new. In any case if it helps this country finally take proper care of its veterans then play your political games and lets take care of those troops who have sacrificed so much. In the meantime I will continue to support our veterans through private means while the games continue.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
well since its been going on since the 70s that we have heard on here alone, lets not just blame GW.
From what I heard on the news it is a longstanding federal thing. Red tape and closed doors, and everyone passing the blame to someone else. But it should not happen.
There is plenty of blame to spread around. When it comes to the budget, each President proposes a budget to Congress, Congress messes with it and returns it to the President for signature. If we look at funding for the healthcare part of the VA, the Clinton Administration/Republican Congress increased funding (in nominal dollars) or decreased funding (if adjusted for inflation) or increased funding (per veteran receiving health care, even after adjusting for inflation - because the number of veterans was decreasing). The Bush Administration/Republican Congress increased funding (in nominal dollars) or decreased funding (adjusted for inflation AND/OR per veteran receiving health care - a growing number). The Bush Administration/Democratic Congress will probably throw more money at VA and take lots of credit on all sides...then move on to whatever else is in the news.
I never had anyone in the military in my family that ever came home wounded, or anyone I knew wounded. I did go to several facilities in Ohio and PA with people who used their benefits at the VA, and although the wait was long, they did get good service. No longer than the wait I have experienced at doc offices, so I did not think it unusual.
I wonder when those visits happened? My experiences were quite different. From 1982 to 1985 I drove patients to VA facilities. During that time, things deteriorated - the buildings and the service. Already decrepit buildings received no attention. (The hospital moved admitting to a different location when the lights quit working. Nothing was done about it for many months.) Wait times climbed from 1 to 2 hours to the 5 to 6 hour range! (I classify that as a customer service issue; I think the medical staff provided good quality of medical care.) During that time, some VA facilities stopped offering some services - so many patients had longer rides to more distant facilities. (I drove for a contractor that received some federal matching funds for those rides and others - it was not part of the VA budget, but VA patients qualified for the program. That funding went away at the end of 1985, but local agencies continued a smaller program.)

My father's current experience is that wait times are down to the 3 to 4 hour range. This discourages him from making use of VA medical services.
But I would think these people deserved the best. And I hope now, they will get it. Too bad it took this long.
The fat lady has not even taken the stage. I hope that Christina Augilera does not shave her head, or the press might forget about the VA....
veterans have always gotten crappy care as thanks for their service so I'm kind of suspicious that this issue came up at this time like it was something new. In any case if it helps this country finally take proper care of its veterans then play your political games and lets take care of those troops who have sacrificed so much. In the meantime I will continue to support our veterans through private means while the games continue.
Damnit. Lately, I keep finding myself agreeing with tieguy. What happened to me?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There is plenty of blame to spread around. When it comes to the budget, each President proposes a budget to Congress, Congress messes with it and returns it to the President for signature. If we look at funding for the healthcare part of the VA, the Clinton Administration/Republican Congress increased funding (in nominal dollars) or decreased funding (if adjusted for inflation) or increased funding (per veteran receiving health care, even after adjusting for inflation - because the number of veterans was decreasing). The Bush Administration/Republican Congress increased funding (in nominal dollars) or decreased funding (adjusted for inflation AND/OR per veteran receiving health care - a growing number). The Bush Administration/Democratic Congress will probably throw more money at VA and take lots of credit on all sides...then move on to whatever else is in the news.I wonder when those visits happened? My experiences were quite different. From 1982 to 1985 I drove patients to VA facilities. During that time, things deteriorated - the buildings and the service. Already decrepit buildings received no attention. (The hospital moved admitting to a different location when the lights quit working. Nothing was done about it for many months.) Wait times climbed from 1 to 2 hours to the 5 to 6 hour range! (I classify that as a customer service issue; I think the medical staff provided good quality of medical care.) During that time, some VA facilities stopped offering some services - so many patients had longer rides to more distant facilities. (I drove for a contractor that received some federal matching funds for those rides and others - it was not part of the VA budget, but VA patients qualified for the program. That funding went away at the end of 1985, but local agencies continued a smaller program.)

My father's current experience is that wait times are down to the 3 to 4 hour range. This discourages him from making use of VA medical services.The fat lady has not even taken the stage. I hope that Christina Augilera does not shave her head, or the press might forget about the VA....
Damnit. Lately, I keep finding myself agreeing with tieguy. What happened to me?

My time visiting would have been 1975-79, quite some time ago. I just hope it gets fixed, and no hollywood idiot gets the stage although one seems to be staying there..........ans