Want the real scoop on FredEx?

Overpaid Union Thug

There are two keys points here that should settle this arguement.

1) which company is making more money?
2) which company has the better service?

Number 1) is clearly in UPS's favor. Not contest there. Number 2) is debatable. I have heard that UPS makes service on their packages at a higher percentage (99% compared to FedEx's 98%:just an example). So if UPS is making more money and more of their packages are making service then I'd say the crown goes to UPS. Usually 2) has a drastic effect on 1) so it all makes since. And for the stock comparison......FedEx can have it. We'll just have to settle for being the best and making the most money while FedEx takes the crown for having the best stock. So, basically it's better to work for UPS (pay at least) but invest in FDX.

N

n/a

If UPS has 60% of the market, and fedex only 25%, of course fedex stock has more upside potential. UPS could buy fedex and only add 40% to their volume. If fedx took all UPS business, it would add more than 200% to their business.

Having worked 5 yrs as a so called contractor at fedex ground, I would say UPS has nothing to worry about. Just about any contractor who claims to earnmore than about $18 is using fuzzy math. If you adjust for no overtime pay, but plenty of 60 hour weeks, no paid hoidays, no sick pay, paying your own medical, dental, retirement, and so on, most fedex contractors make the equivalent of $10-$13 an hour. Most of those who stay simply don't understand the difference. They get a 1099 at the end of the year that says they earned maybe $80k. after expenses its down to $45k. After paying the feereal taxes the employer usually pays, they might have $40k income for the year. They think thats pretty good, never figuring that is for 55 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

Fedx is now charging drivers to take time off- its known as the vacation club "lovingly." Thats why the dozens of lawsuits against fedex. Even in Express, which does have employee drivers, fedex has lawsuits pending over discrimination, falsifying time records, and hostile work environment.

Fedex mgmt can't figure out the math that Fedex would be better off using employees like UPS. If it works for number 1, why would a distant #2 think their way is better? UPS is number one because of their EMPLOYEES.

cURRENT FEDEX MGMT APPEARS TO BE MILKING THE COMPANY WITH HUGE BONUSES AND PENSIONS AND LEAVING A BIG MESS FOR THE future mgmt.

Fedex went from one of the top companies to work for to off the chart of the top 100 companies to work for in less than 5 years. UPS has nothing to worry about.

Jack_Burton

If UPS has 60% of the market, and fedex only 25%, of course fedex stock has more upside potential. UPS could buy fedex and only add 40% to their volume. If fedx took all UPS business, it would add more than 200% to their business.

Having worked 5 yrs as a so called contractor at fedex ground, I would say UPS has nothing to worry about. Just about any contractor who claims to earnmore than about $18 is using fuzzy math. If you adjust for no overtime pay, but plenty of 60 hour weeks, no paid hoidays, no sick pay, paying your own medical, dental, retirement, and so on, most fedex contractors make the equivalent of $10-$13 an hour. Most of those who stay simply don't understand the difference. They get a 1099 at the end of the year that says they earned maybe $80k. after expenses its down to $45k. After paying the feereal taxes the employer usually pays, they might have $40k income for the year. They think thats pretty good, never figuring that is for 55 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

Fedx is now charging drivers to take time off- its known as the vacation club "lovingly." Thats why the dozens of lawsuits against fedex. Even in Express, which does have employee drivers, fedex has lawsuits pending over discrimination, falsifying time records, and hostile work environment.

Fedex mgmt can't figure out the math that Fedex would be better off using employees like UPS. If it works for number 1, why would a distant #2 think their way is better? UPS is number one because of their EMPLOYEES.

cURRENT FEDEX MGMT APPEARS TO BE MILKING THE COMPANY WITH HUGE BONUSES AND PENSIONS AND LEAVING A BIG MESS FOR THE future mgmt.

Fedex went from one of the top companies to work for to off the chart of the top 100 companies to work for in less than 5 years. UPS has nothing to worry about.
This post nails it. FedEx has nothing over UPS. The looming legal battle over FedEx's use and abuse of "contracters" is a battle FedEx Corp can't win.
It's like a ticking time bomb ready to go off.

tae111

I am a feeder driver for UPS. I put in about 55 hours per week and net about the same $1400 to $1500 or about $93000. gross per year. I just punch in do my run and punch out. Thats in addition to great company paid medical benefits and pension. Currently $3700 per month after 30 years at ant age or 25 years at age 55. Some of the drivers are making over $ 100000. Not to shabby for driving a truck. I wonder how many Fed X drivers even come close to that.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am a feeder driver for UPS. I put in about 55 hours per week and net about the same $1400 to $1500 or about $93000. gross per year. I just punch in do my run and punch out. Thats in addition to great company paid medical benefits and pension. Currently $3700 per month after 30 years at ant age or 25 years at age 55. Some of the drivers are making over $ 100000. Not to shabby for driving a truck. I wonder how many Fed X drivers even come close to that.

I guess you are not in Central States.

25yrvet

Maybe he's not; but instead of constantly gripeing about CS on this board (which does nothing) I would bet that tae is grabing the bull by the horns & retireing when he wants to. It's called PLANNING--not CRYING--YA oughta try it. Need a kleenex?

B

brown nose

oh yeah!!! I make $600,000 per year and I get 51 weeks of vacation per year and my manager wipes my rear and...and..and

Overpaid Union Thug

Maybe he's not; but instead of constantly gripeing about CS on this board (which does nothing) I would bet that tae is grabing the bull by the horns & retireing when he wants to. It's called PLANNING--not CRYING--YA oughta try it. Need a kleenex?

You are a jerk. There was no need for that smart ass remark. And I'd say it's a little late to start "Grabbing the bull by the horns" now. Unless someone started saving and investing (which is what you seem to be implying) on their own years, and years ago then they are paddling up stream just like the rest of us. Oh and by the way....I have been planning on my own since before this started so I'd say you were way off with your know it all, smart assed, sly remark. Maybe you should stop and think before you make such comments. Maybe the person you are speaking to knows whats going on. Yeah I need a kleenex because I laugh myself to tears at people who have your attitude here.

"Only a matter of time before FedEx rules in ground and overnight..." Right...it is easy to look at the original recipe for success (UPS) make a few adjustments and come out beating your chest exlaiming how fantastic your company is.

RGAman

Actually, as a former Roadway Package System contractor under the Roadway Services umbrella, I blame both UPS and Fed EX. If UPS wouldn't have gone on strike in 97, it is my personal opinion that Fed Ex never would have bought Caliber Systems.

I have my ex wife to thank for leaving RPS before Fred changed the name to Fed Ex Ground, and showed his true self. I got rid of her a few years later, also.

Roadway Package System was a well run company. True, we didn't hit every burg every day, and we had to stay out of the crosshairs of the Roadway Express drivers. But lots of folks liked the option of having another carrier, and we got new customers just because we were the "new guy in town".

One of the most entertaining stories in town was the one that I tell about the UPS driver who offered to slip me some extra cash if I would do some stops for him. Residential that is, he would just dr it, and I could slip it in with mine and no one would know. With all the hillbillies who asked when UPS got white trucks and the ones that couldn't tell a U from an R, I could have pulled it off if I weren't an honest fella.

And the one about the school secretary who always told me that UPS had already delivered there, and why was another driver coming in with packages?

UPS, FDX and DHL are not secure in their share of the market now, just because they bought up the following named companies. Purolator Courier/ Emery Worldwide, aka Menlo Logistics; RPS; and Airborne Express.

There are regional parcel delivery companies scattered around, i.e. Eastern Connection parcel service, Spee Dee Delivery, Lone Star Overnight and Western Parcel Express, to name a few. A group of savvy businessmen could potentially purchase strategically located businesses; and fill in the blanks as RPS gradually did over the years.

Pip

I guess there are good arguments who is better, depending where you sit. I honestly feel at the end of the day, there is plenty of packages to go around for all, and still have a decent profit. Seems when the internet took off and people started shopping online, things really started booming.

whether your fedex, ups, dhl, or any other carrier, there is plenty of work to go around. If one company started buying all the others, I feel the government would step in and cry monopoly. So it is best to have a good healthy competition.

Business is booming no matter who you work for, so be thankful and hope that it continues. the flip side of that sure isn't fun. Just ask all the people who have been layed off or lost a job due to companies closing due to no business.

Glorifiedpackmule

I will be the first to tell you all I was wrong. After working here at fedex for the last year I have been acoused of falsication..( Scanned a package as I was walking into the customers store at 1030 to save myself from a late) I have been Lied to, and I have been cheated of hours. Atleast when I was with brown I was well compensated for my work. Anyways, Sorry to you all. Fedex fed me a bunch of lies and I fell for them.

FedexExEmployee

I will be the first to tell you all I was wrong. After working here at fedex for the last year I have been acoused of falsication..( Scanned a package as I was walking into the customers store at 1030 to save myself from a late) I have been Lied to, and I have been cheated of hours. Atleast when I was with brown I was well compensated for my work. Anyways, Sorry to you all. Fedex fed me a bunch of lies and I fell for them.

Well, it takes a real man to admit he was wrong.

I'm happy you had a chance to experience the real Purple Lie that is Fedex. Falsification is their greatest weapon. It is their number one tool to fire someone. Problem is, it can apply to so many situations. I truly feel for anyone who is stuck working there.

NOBODY deserves to have to work for that Big Ugly Purple Monster of a company. :mad:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
NOBODY deserves to have to work for that Big Ugly Purple Monster of a company. :mad:

For better or worse, the "front-line" employees will be the ultimate downfall of FedEx. Look at Eastern Airlines, for example. A union strike brought the company to its end, although other factors played a role.

Here in Denver, there's a grocery store chain called King Soopers. Its union and owned by Kroger. Anyway, emblazoned on the side of their distribution network's trailers is the phrase, "Our people make the difference." A shame more companies don't realize this. -Rocky

SmithBarney

Here in Denver, there's a grocery store chain called King Soopers. Its union and owned by Kroger. Anyway, emblazoned on the side of their distribution network's trailers is the phrase, "Our people make the difference." A shame more companies don't realize this. -Rocky

Except for the fact that the "people" (at City Market/Kings) are continually trying to Unionize
and management won't let it happen.

But the big difference with airlines is you don't have to fly eastern
you can fly 20 other airlines... lots of people to take up the slack..

In the package industry, we all thrive because the other is around.

If you were to snap your fingers today, and tomorrow(or monday)
all the packages from UPS were in the FedEx system(ground and express)
it would probably crush them. And the same is true for all the Packages in
the FedEx system into the UPS system.. The companies need each other to suceed, there is plenty of work to go around.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Except for the fact that the "people" (at City Market/Kings) are continually trying to Unionize
and management won't let it happen.

Huh??? Fredly, my corner King Soopers is already union as far as I know. H*ll, Denver endured a 45 day strike in the not so distant past by these workers. Back on topic....I think that, given time, UPS would be able to handle FedEx's volume. Might take a couple months and many, many late packages but I think it would happen. Maybe that's the optimist in me. -Rocky

SmithBarney

Huh??? Fredly, my corner King Soopers is already union as far as I know. H*ll, Denver endured a 45 day strike in the not so distant past by these workers. Back on topic....I think that, given time, UPS would be able to handle FedEx's volume. Might take a couple months and many, many late packages but I think it would happen. Maybe that's the optimist in me. -Rocky

I guess that was just in my area then... they wouldn't let the store unionize..
but I've since moved 6 mos ago, so maybe things have changed locally.

Yes I'm sure either company would be able to recover from the volume shift
but not without alot of growing pains...