Wanted To Ask Some Other Saturday Air Drivers Something

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Every now and then they call me up to do some Saturday air deliveries. I'm happy to do them, but the thing is, I have virtually zero familiarity with any of the areas they give me to deliver, so I have to GPS my way to 95% of the stops. And I've told them this too. Is this a common occurrence for delivering Saturday air?

Also, this past Saturday I went in to do it and I had about 20 stops stretched pretty far across the center's coverage area (had about 120 miles on the truck at the end of the day). My GPS died towards the end and I got turned around finding a few roads and ended up with two late Saturday airs. Today I worked the Preload and the center manager had a little stern talk with me about having late airs. Is it worth sweating over?

Theking30

SHORTY
Put your gps in your car and ask for maps. If they do not provide you with some then drive around aimlessly till you get done. Work as instructed and call if your are going to have late airs. Let the suit and tie guy make the decisions.
Just my 2 cents.

TheMethods

I agree .... Make the center provide maps. The Tie Guys seem to forget the job challenges when the don't get out much.

Sent using BrownCafe App

calcio56

Always send the center a message and go about your deliveries. Simple cya. Saturdays are laid back at my building and they won't send help anyway....and if they ask before you leave the building always tell them you might be late on the last two or three

Sent using BrownCafe App

tcd man

I had a 180 miles last Saturday im in a very rural center. I use maps for cities and counties I have them for but do have to google maps a few every sat that are way out there and not on my maps. It'll get better once you do it more and get familiar with area.

Sent using BrownCafe App

freelabor

Ask the saturday dispatch for maps or buy a map book of your county.

If you know you wont make the commit time on a few stops. Call the center or use the diad to send a message for help an hour before commit time.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I started Sat air back in the late 80's .
The method to learn an area was to go out & get lost . I see it's still true today .
Maps are necessary , no matter where you go .
Yes , they have mistakes on them from time to time , but that's why I always have some pens handy .
When you're lost or just can't find an address . Try this method ; park the PC and get out of the PC and ask someone .
Fire Dept , USPS or Police in that order . why ?
The Fire dept needs to know where every location is within their response area . The USPS & Police usually know just their own coverage areas .

Acc0rd

back in the day when I was in training for air driver, I was with a sup and we were following a map to the road. Well turns out the road never crossed the major road like we were seeing on the map book I had. lol We literally drove to another centers delivery area before we asked some old lady at a tiny no where ville church were we were! haha He said GET OVER and he hauled ass back up the road;) Don't feel bad. Nothing like being in another freaking buildings zone!

BrownTexas

Not knowing an area is a Saturday normal. There is no excuse for them to not give you maps before you leave. They can literally give you a map from the computer that has every stop in your EDD pinpointed to the exact DR location. I learned this last Friday when I went out blind on a rural route. I didn't have to find roads on a map. Just had to find the dot label stop 43 and so on. Made life soooooo easy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not knowing an area is a Saturday normal. There is no excuse for them to not give you maps before you leave. They can literally give you a map from the computer that has every stop in your EDD pinpointed to the exact DR location. I learned this last Friday when I went out blind on a rural route. I didn't have to find roads on a map. Just had to find the dot label stop 43 and so on. Made life soooooo easy.

This is only true if the Saturday air is processed through EDD, which is not normally the case in smaller centers such as mine.

Apd

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but on average how long does it usually take to become an air driver? I know it depends on the hub, but I was just curious what the average time was.

BrownChoice

I personally have maps out of the phone book, a whole area map(costs about $5.99), a couple print outs off google maps of each section of the cities I live around/potentially work in, and a map made by another 3rd party that is very detailed but costed about $60.

Also, anytime you do get a map from supes, dont throw it out just keep it and eventually you will have most areas and you can then organize them.

Also if you dont use a backpack for delivering, get one and bring it everytime you go out and deliver.

You can also get a standalone phone charger which Ive also got, costed about $120 but will charge my phone more than 500 times to full capacity and one charge on it will charge my phone more than 2 full charges.

Yes i know ive spent a lot out of pocket but to me it is/was worth it. Shows you take your job seriously and youll run into way less problems.

My long :censored2: 2 cents!!!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Also if you dont use a backpack for delivering, get one and bring it everytime you go out and deliver.

I have a backpack for survival stuff...pants, water, trail mix, pens, flashlight, etc...but I never carry it while delivering. It stays in my truck. What do you use your backpack for while delivering?