Warning letter 4 driving too slow?

MissedBusiness

NotReallyAMember
Heard a chema driver got a warning letter for driving too slow, i guess all the time on the highway.
58 in a 65. They said "we need u to go the speed limit".

Grieve it and also as a nice "friend-You" call the DOT and voice your concerns that drivers are being coerced into driving faster when conditions may not allow. He has the right to refuse for safety.

over9five

Staff member
Yikes! Now I've heard if you hit a deer going 1mph over the speed limit you get charged with an accident.
But if you go under the speed limit you get a warning letter.
Not a lot of room for error here.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
some of the POS cars i've driven barely make 55mph much less our actual limit of 65. Mine does get to 62...eventually

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Heard a chema driver got a warning letter for driving too slow, i guess all the time on the highway.
58 in a 65. They said "we need u to go the speed limit".

His "management team" was probably just trying to meet their weekly warning letter quota. Its a tough job, but someone has to do it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are several factors that have not been discussed yet: first, driving below the speed limit on the highway is almost as dangerous as driving above the speed limit and, second, was he trying to sabotage the operation by purposely driving slow.

I re-read the first post to see if this was a PC or feeder driver but it doesn't say. I am going to assume that it is a feeder driver and the supervisor issued the warning letter due to his loads getting to the center/hub late.

There are several factors that have not been discussed yet: first, driving below the speed limit on the highway is almost as dangerous as driving above the speed limit and, second, was he trying to sabotage the operation by purposely driving slow.

I re-read the first post to see if this was a PC or feeder driver but it doesn't say. I am going to assume that it is a feeder driver and the supervisor issued the warning letter due to his loads getting to the center/hub late.
You should be in management.

MissedBusiness

NotReallyAMember
Feeder driver, grieved 5 minutes after warning letter was given. Don't think 58 on the highway is dangerous. Big truck, traffic has a lot to do with ur speed I think.

I kicked this around at work and we all agreed that the speed limit is not the law that you HAVE to go. It is the max. The least little issue on the road is justifiable cause to reduce speed. Weather, traffic,weight, even how the vehicle is handling. Some of our rigs will go down the road straight as an arrow. Others can be more of a handful. So all should be driven equally?
This is a losing battle for the sup. 58 in a 65 is not slow to the point of any claims of sabotage or whatever. Also, just a FYI, there are no such things as HOT loads,etc, on the drivers part. They were destined to be late long before they were dispatched. I for one will not kill myself or someone else to make up time for someone else's mismanagement.

bluehdmc

Feeder driver, grieved 5 minutes after warning letter was given. Don't think 58 on the highway is dangerous. Big truck, traffic has a lot to do with ur speed I think.

If your driving a lot slower than other traffic on the highway it is hazardous. There is NO WAY I am going to drive 55 on the NJ Turnpike at 7 am on a weekday morning when other traffic is driving 65+. The speed limit may be 55 but I don't need another tractor trailer driver 10 ft from my rear bumper, the only way to avoid that is to keep up with surrounding traffic. By keeping up with traffic you can maintain a decent following distance, (In this area you cannot maintain 'ups'
6-8 seconds but you can maintain NJ motor vehicles 4 second recommendation with the ability to look 10 to 12 seconds over other traffic) without some owner/operator trying to run up your rear bumper.

That said I don't think the warning letter will hold up. Had an old time feeder driver tell me they used to take double 40's up the NY Thruway with MH's, had to run most of the way with the 4-way flashers on cause you couldn't get up over 40 mph.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thats what I thought. it is the limit, not the suggested speed. Some places you will see a sign with Speed limit, 65, min speed 40. Some of our packages cars can be a handful on highways, not the newer ones, the relics. As above the semis aka feeders would be a whole different animal.
Then there are the roads where cars and trucks have different speed "limits". While a bad idea, there was a reason for it.

cachsux; said:
Also, just a FYI, there are no such things as HOT loads,etc, on the drivers part. They were destined to be late long before they were dispatched. I for one will not kill myself or someone else to make up time for someone else's mismanagement.
yes there is just ask Mrs. 407 she takes one every two weeks.

P

pickup

I can see both sides of the issue here. You can actually get a ticket for not going a safe and reasonable speed relative to traffic conditions such as snow and ice, etc., regardless of what the speed limit is. A feeder driver pulling doubles would be wise to slow things down a little bit in many situations . In my opinion, the time needed to react to situations such as a car flying over three lanes to an exit, is more than when pulling a single trailer.

Now from the other side:, did this driver consistently go 58 in a 65 mph zone regardless of traffic conditions and weather? Was his cruise control set at this speed all the time? Did he do it consistently on repeated trips, regardless if he was the only driver on a well lit road on a rain and snow free night or if he was in some traffic with somewhat adverse weather conditions? If "yes" to the last two questions, then there is an issue here.