Warning Letter Based on Telematics

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Waiting to be discharged on the premise that warning letters don't carry any weight is a dangerous gamble and the stakes are people's jobs. All grievances should be grieved. All of them. What is there to lie about? Not filing has gotten plenty of people in trouble. A handful of un-grieved warning letters is a Labor Manager's wet dream. If you let warning letters stick for anything you CAN get discharged as part of "progressive discipline." Yes, they can get their jobs back but not always swiftly. I don't know about you are anyone else but sitting at home wondering and waiting to get my job back while there are bills to pay and mouths to feed isn't something I want to do if I don't have to. Especially knowing that I could avoided it if I had only filled out a simple grievance form.
Agreed. But the warning letter disappears in 9 months. Just make sure to wear the seat belt for the next 9 months.

If you grieve it, this is how it goes...

center manager: are you grieving the fact that you got a warning letter for not wearing a seatbelt or are you grieving the fact that you were wearing your seatbelt and our telematics is wrong?

If you answer the latter, they will follow you until they catch you with direct observation. Not just for seatbelt, but for anything and everything. I hope you do everything by the book.

If you answer the former, center manager will just put your protest grievance in your file. You will still have the warning letter. If you go to the panel for another occurrence, are you willing to lie to the state panel?

If you take the warning letter, wear your seatbelt, management will not follow you for the next 3 months.

Pick your battles.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree. Don't say "it's just a warning letter and isn't discipline" because it is part of the progressive discipline process. It's management documenting and laying the foundation.
In my Local, all warning letters are automatically disputed but you cant actually grieve them until such time as you have received a suspension letter. So 99% of the time it winds up being nothing but a piece of paper that gets stuck in your file and turns to dust 9 months later.

10 point

We write up telematics issues (seat belts, bulkhead doors, etc) on the dvir report if the issues are known or made known. Often the sensors are messed up, unplugged or proximity switches out of alignment.

None the less, it's good for one shot especially if the mechanic validates a problem with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We write up telematics issues (seat belts, bulkhead doors, etc) on the dvir report if the issues are known or made known. Often the sensors are messed up, unplugged or proximity switches out of alignment.

None the less, it's good for one shot especially if the mechanic validates a problem with it.

This would only work if it is written up prior to the Telematics violation and subsequent warning letter. Writing it up after the fact is pointless and reeks of desperation.

oldngray

nowhere special
This would only work if it is written up prior to the Telematics violation and subsequent warning letter. Writing it up after the fact is pointless and reeks of desperation.

How is the driver supposed to know a sensor isn't working properly? The only way he will find out is if it shows up on a report the next day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

You can't know there's a problem with the sensor until the next day's report so that doesn't make sense.

Plus, this isn't an issue with not wearing a seat belt, it would go off 15, 50, 200 times. This is ONE instance of the sensor going off. Do you really think this driver is not wearing his seat belt ?? Do you think he cares if he's followed and observed ? A sensor went off ONCE and he's being disciplined. DAMN, I wish I was this guy's BA for this. It'd be like playing Candyland with Helen Keller.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It showed me recording while driving about 18 times. I dunno? Never showed up again, musta been a glitch? Never heard another word.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you answer the latter, they will follow you until they catch you with direct observation. Not just for seatbelt, but for anything and everything. I hope you do everything by the book.

I think some of you are a little paranoid. Unless your center is different my management team sure doesn't have the time to follow me every day hoping I screw up.

Brownslave688

Do I think the driver is not consistently wearing his seatbelt? No.

Do I think he wasn't wearing it when he got caught? Yes.
Here's where common sense needs to be used.

I have had a few times with the lap belts where I guess it didn't latch all the way. Yet it doesn't retract it just lays across my lap and I don't realize it's not latched until I get to my stop.

I had no intention of not wearing my seatbelt but it happens from time to time. You'd be a maroon to not where your seatbelt at this place.

Brownslave688

If they are following you around its for other reasons and they just want to use telematics as an excuse.
Bingo. As I just said you'd be a maroon to not wear a seatbelt at ups now. Same as keeping your bulkhead door open. Managment knows no one is doing this stuff on purpose. They just use it as an excuse to follow those they are targeting.

Brownslave688

It showed me recording while driving about 18 times. I dunno? Never showed up again, musta been a glitch? Never heard another word.
We had a driver who was told not to turn off his truck all day. Everytime he shut it off he needed a jump.

100+ recording while idling next day. They tried to fire him. This place is full of idiots.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We had a driver who was told not to turn off his truck all day. Everytime he shut it off he needed a jump.

100+ recording while idling next day. They tried to fire him. This place is full of idiots.

And if he had a roll-away while it was left running, they would try to fire him for that.

A situation like that.... park the truck. Let the center and automotive deal with it.

If they give you crap about it.... call your Local, and the DOT. Watch what happens.

-Bug-

Overpaid Union Thug

Agreed. But the warning letter disappears in 9 months. Just make sure to wear the seat belt for the next 9 months.

If you grieve it, this is how it goes...

center manager: are you grieving the fact that you got a warning letter for not wearing a seatbelt or are you grieving the fact that you were wearing your seatbelt and our telematics is wrong?

If you answer the former, center manager will just put your protest grievance in your file. You will still have the warning letter. If you go to the panel for another occurrence, are you willing to lie to the state panel?

If you take the warning letter, wear your seatbelt, management will not follow you for the next 3 months.

Pick your battles.

Pick your battles and outright avoid them by filing on unjust grievances. In my area all grievances are generically written and each one says that the accused is being written up for "continuing to violate such such and such....." That alone is worthy of filing for an unjust grievance. If not.....the accused is basically allowing management to accuse them of repetitively making the same mistake even though THAT particular infraction had never happened before. But it could be used against them later. If they are being targeted those unchallenged grievances will be brought up again and most labor managers and center managers have been playing the game long enough to know that they only have a 9 month window in which to build a case for progressive discipline and they do it well. There was a recent thread that is a perfect example of why to file on every grievance.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...iques-for-defending-a-driver-at-panel.358841/

If that driver had any unchallenged grievances still sitting in his file then those that were targeting him wouldn't have had to attempt to fire him/her by only nitpicking at the results of his/her OJS ride and the resulting failed metrics. They would have combined everything and they would have had a pretty strong case for progressive discipline with those mostly unrelated, but unchallenged, grievances. And if their warning letters are worded similarly to the ones in my area then they'd be toast. That is exactly why we are encouraged to file on every warning letter in my local. It's good advice so I follow it. But then again....I've only had two warning letters in my 16 years with UPS but that's beside that point.

Brownslave688

And if he had a roll-away while it was left running, they would try to fire him for that.

A situation like that.... park the truck. Let the center and automotive deal with it.

If they give you crap about it.... call your Local, and the DOT. Watch what happens.

-Bug-
Auto and a driver who told him leave it running that's why he did.

upschuck

-Bug-
That is when you should tell center what he was told to do, and to let them decide. Take a picture of ODS message to be safe.