Warning letter for calling in sick?

DamageCallTag

I am an air driver and they forced the bottom 4 to work today. I am the 4th from the bottom so I was supposed to drive today. I worked on my local sort sick last night just so they would have enough to run the sort and I told the OMS over sat. air that I was sick and would not be able to work sat(today). Well I was told today by one of the other air drivers she coded me no call no show and said I would be getting a warning letter. I havent talked to her yet but I did talk to my local sort steward and he said I could fight it and winsince I informed her I was sick. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all!!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You're still pre-warning letter. I don't think you'll get a WL, considering you called in, unless you have no days available, and you've got a problem with absenteeism.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am an air driver and they forced the bottom 4 to work today. I am the 4th from the bottom so I was supposed to drive today. I worked on my local sort sick last night just so they would have enough to run the sort and I told the OMS over sat. air that I was sick and would not be able to work sat(today). Well I was told today by one of the other air drivers she coded me no call no show and said I would be getting a warning letter. I havent talked to her yet but I did talk to my local sort steward and he said I could fight it and winsince I informed her I was sick. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all!!!
You worked the dort last night? Until what time? and what time were you to report today? The reason I ask is because you must have 10 hours off before returning to work and if you did not have 10 hours off they cannot force you to work!

DamageCallTag

It was over 10 hrs before I had to report to work this morning. I have worked at ups for over 8 yrs and never had a no call no show or any absentiesm.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you have never called in or have a late problem then you "should" be fine. If you are talked to get with a steward.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you have never called in or have a late problem then you "should" be fine. If you are talked to get with a steward.
Or have a teleconference setup between your center manager and 705. After this, I'd be surprised if your center manager doesn't treat you to breakfast, for your inconvenience.:wink2:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

Relax.

8 year employee. No previous attendance problems.

You will never hear about it again; your driver buddy was stugging with you.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Relax.

8 year employee. No previous attendance problems.

You will never hear about it again; your driver buddy was stugging with you.

That depends upon the situation at hand. I could see a center manager going through with it just to "squash the bug" that banged in when they likely needed the sat holiday help. Depends on the dynamics.

ups1990

You dont have to worry about getting into any serious trouble. Due to Mother's Day. The volume came heavier than expected and so they are sore you did not show.

Theichii

funny thing is...i called up my on road monday and told him "hey volume is going to be heavy saturday you might want to put on 3 drivers. Saturday rolled around at 8:00 in the morning my sup is calling me, "hey sorry to bother you but can you work today?"

Me (still hungover): i told you, you need three drivers how many you got?
Sup: Two.
Me: too much alcohol is in my system, i'm sorry i can't go.

later on the sup called me and joked with me about needing some aspirin. He eventually found someone...why don't they listen the first time i tell them?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
funny thing is...i called up my on road monday and told him "hey volume is going to be heavy saturday you might want to put on 3 drivers. Saturday rolled around at 8:00 in the morning my sup is calling me, "hey sorry to bother you but can you work today?"

later on the sup called me and joked with me about needing some aspirin. He eventually found someone...why don't they listen the first time i tell them?
You need to make them think it was their idea. That way they can take credit for it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Supes can only hear when they're talking. I think they have an automatic shut off, built in.:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Supes can only hear when they're talking. I think they have an automatic shut off, built in.:wink2:

I don't know why anyone would want to ever tell a supervisor how to do their job or how to run something, at any company, not just UPS.

Seems to be Theicii is already lacking boundries that most mature people have developed in their working days judging by his post (saying yes/no without giving backtalk, allowing the boss to do their job and not worrying about the repercussions, etc).

Seems like a perfect fit to jump into supervising. :peaceful:

Theichii

I don't know why anyone would want to ever tell a supervisor how to do their job or how to run something, at any company, not just UPS.

Seems to be Theicii is already lacking boundries that most mature people have developed in their working days judging by his post (saying yes/no without giving backtalk, allowing the boss to do their job and not worrying about the repercussions, etc).

Seems like a perfect fit to jump into supervising. :peaceful:
it was simple advice to a brand new supervisor. Our on road is about as unfamiliar with the routes in our center as someone from Turkey. Most of our routes would be considered rural and last year was tough, as i worked it. My supervisor and i are really good friends off the job, as we knew each other before he came to be our on road sup. I was giving him a little heads up last monday when i said that. He told me he appreciated it but volume wasn't "PROJECTED" to be that much.