Warning Letter over Telematics

YesYouDidPushAButton

During the PCM a couple weeks ago, we get the whole schpeal about backing first. Than in front of 200 or so drivers, he holds up this huge packet of papers, 20 or so pages. And says some people think this is okay!!, "we had a driver back first over 300 times, this is unacceptable" than hands the stack to me....

This report says I backed 311 times, for 10 miles, sometimes as fast as 37 mph ROFL !! I asked if he's sure it's not a malfunction, and the IT guy at the meeting says a malfunction is impossible...

This went on for a week.

Turns out reverse switch was bad in truck and would flicker the reverse lights as you drove. Telematics senses the reverse light circuit to know when it's in reverse, than monitors GPS for speed, and location. So all day as i drove it counted all the times the reverse lights flickered as I traveled FORWARD at 37 mph.... I think all hope is lost with these people....

double-facepalm.jpg
double-facepalm.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Maybe you're right.If so the OP is guilty.Telematics does so much,is this the best they could come up with?
I think someone doesn't like the OP and is trying to get rid of them.
Maybe he is nosing in to stops and backing out.
Not doing this would be a good place to start.

Sometimes nosing in is the safest way I don't care what they say. If there is a mean looking dog I'm going to nose in and get as close as I can to an acceptable dr location. I'm not hanging myself out to dry just so I don't show up on some report.

onestoptogo

When I get stuck where I'm going to have a back first exemption I do the following to avoid getting a hit on telematics. 1. Park truck, set e-brake, leave truck ON. 2. Scan package with truck on and put in prerecord then deliver package. 3. Get back in truck, back out, and turn around. 4. Turn truck off. 5. Bring package back in diad from prerecord and DR package. 6. Start truck and leave going forward.

If you follow these procedures you will not get a back first exemption or a recording while idling. It will increase your idling time.

I just hate it when I go up a driveway and find a locked gate and no place to turn around. I'm not going to back out and then run the package all the way back in just to avoid a back first exemption. I have better things to do with my time.

clarnzz

LOL, I was told once I lead the district in backing first exceptions yesterday. I said great, at least I'm good at something. Warning letter, wow, lol.

40 and out

When I get stuck where I'm going to have a back first exemption I do the following to avoid getting a hit on telematics. 1. Park truck, set e-brake, leave truck ON. 2. Scan package with truck on and put in prerecord then deliver package. 3. Get back in truck, back out, and turn around. 4. Turn truck off. 5. Bring package back in diad from prerecord and DR package. 6. Start truck and leave going forward.

If you follow these procedures you will not get a back first exemption or a recording while idling. It will increase your idling time.

I just hate it when I go up a driveway and find a locked gate and no place to turn around. I'm not going to back out and then run the package all the way back in just to avoid a back first exemption. I have better things to do with my time.

Too much trouble to go to just to keep from showing up on a report. Just be smart, don't back first unnecessarily,and hope this is the only harassment you're going to get.

40 and out

Warning letter over 3 back first exceptions? Have to put up with b.s. here too but sure am glad I don't work in a center like yours. Don't agree with a lot of our warning letters but at least I can see why most of them they were issued. None of these idiotic warning letters here, guess I'm lucky.

onestoptogo

Actually I do try to be smart and try not to back unnecessarily but situations do come up where you have to back first. You can deliver the package using normal procedures and show up on a report or do it the way I described and stay off the report. I choose to stay off the report.

BrownArmy

You can deliver the package using normal procedures and show up on a report or do it the way I described and stay off the report. I choose to stay off the report.

Or, you can do the 'normal procedures', I.E. the safest maneuver warranted by the particular situation, and JUST DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

Look, the system's already gamed, stop trying to game it.

There are plenty of times in my day where the safest thing is to nose in and park the truck.

Backing first exception? Who the friend cares? It might happen five times in a day, out of how many stops?

One guy on here was talking about pulling the truck forward enough to avoid dinging the 'back first' BS, and then backing like he should have just done in the first place.

Just because things can be measured, doesn't mean the measurement should take the place of REALITY.

Don't let your management team psyche you out, they're just screwing with you because something got on a report and went to ATL or wherever and it was some other fkrs job to follow up and scream at your management team.

DO THE RIGHT THING
...follow the methods, put yourself in a position where you back first, so that you can start the car and drive forward...for so many reasons, it's preferable to start the PC and move forward instead of having to back first.

But sometimes this isn't possible: we're all professional drivers and sometimes nosing in and backing first is THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

If your MGMT team can entrust you with a ridiculous dispatch and a horrendous load and ask you to do the impossible, they should realize that SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO BACK FIRST AFTER STARTING THE TRUCK.

Grieve this warning letter, I'm sure your management team has a quota or something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LOL, I was told once I lead the district in backing first exceptions yesterday. I said great, at least I'm good at something. Warning letter, wow, lol.

This is not surprising. I had a feeling that you were not a methods driver.

One of our runner/gunners had 18 back first exceptiions earlier this week.

The OP must grieve this as the company cannot (yet) use Telematics solely for discipline. This will change in 2013.

clarnzz

The OP must grieve this as the company cannot (yet) use Telematics solely for discipline. This will change in 2013.

Actually I was on a rural route that I didn't know that runs along the Mississippi. Got myself in a lot of positions that were challenging.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do this on an observation ride and let us know what your on-car has to say about your methods revision.

stink219

Of course you would think that!! **

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member

I hate hearing anyone (I know you're not) bragging about this "important part" of the contract. It means nothing.
Big deal, they see you doing something wrong via telematics, they just go out and watch you do it tomorrow.
They don't have to change it in 2013, they've already won.

over9five

Staff member
Telematics may not be 100% reliable but it is pretty damn close and I do see the language changed in 2013.

I'm just saying why waste the time changing it? They know exactly what you're doing via Telematics, all they have to do is jump in the car and go watch you do it tomorrow.
There are many more important issues for the upcoming contract, I just can't see them wasting time on this issue.