Warning Letter over Telematics

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't recall Upstate ever complaining or reporting a post related to him.
Others report posts often where people take swipes at Upstate.
I think you are correct that he likes it ... it should make him feel superior.

He doesn't have your home number.

I think you guys are confused what a "back first" is. It's when you start the truck and throw it into reverse before putting it in drive. You are suppose to first turn around (if backing needed) ,make your delivery then when you get into your car you go into drive first.

yes they are now telling us that we have to drive past the stop and turn around in the cul de sac and drive back to the stop then make delivery out of the driver side door. WTF i was always taught to pull up even with the door on the house to have a straight shot. i guess some ***** in Atlanta sitting in a corner cubicle is trying to get promoted and thought of this fantastic idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will not have a back first exception if you drive for a short distance before backing up. In your cul-de-sac example, you can make the delivery per the methods (passenger door), then turn around in the cul-de-sac and you will not have a back first exception. What they are trying to discourage is nosing in at a delivery stop or parking such where there is a good chance that you may get blocked in and not have a clear exit path.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
yes they are now telling us that we have to drive past the stop and turn around in the cul de sac and drive back to the stop then make delivery out of the driver side door. WTF i was always taught to pull up even with the door on the house to have a straight shot. i guess some ***** in Atlanta sitting in a corner cubicle is trying to get promoted and thought of this fantastic idea.

When it comes to Telematics,. beat them at their own game : Forget EVERYTHING you have known before Telematics and focus on not getting on the List of The Week, make this ALL that matters. When they started that crap with us last year i found that to stay off the list i would A) Walk the 300 yard driveways B) NEVER back after I had pulled forward. If this meant driving half a mile down the street until i found a Cul-De-Sac so be it,I wasnt on the list!

you get where I am going with this? after the numbers go in the toilet for a couple of weeks Management will forget all about "Back First Exceptions"
Our numbers got so bad management stopped posting the Telematics reports,and it's been months since I have heard anything at all about this nonsense.
However I am more than aware that this beast can raise it's ugly head at anytime so I continue to operate the Package Car in a manner that will keep me off the list. Dont worry about Over Allowed or any of that garbage,just work SAFELY and BY THE METHODS

ups2000

You will not have a back first exception if you drive for a short distance before backing up. In your cul-de-sac example, you can make the delivery per the methods (passenger door), then turn around in the cul-de-sac and you will not have a back first exception. What they are trying to discourage is nosing in at a delivery stop or parking such where there is a good chance that you may get blocked in and not have a clear exit path.
Wrong. It has to be a certain distance for it to not register as a back first exception. I was shown a report where I delivered to a house on my right then I drove like 5 or 6 houses down and backed into a driveway to get turned around. It was the safest place to get turned around. Supervisor said they don't agree with it being considered a back first but nothing they can do about it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I havent been on the dreaded reports much, and I dont focus on it. It says I back 7 times per day. I know its wrong but who am I to argue?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wrong. It has to be a certain distance for it to not register as a back first exception. I was shown a report where I delivered to a house on my right then I drove like 5 or 6 houses down and backed into a driveway to get turned around. It was the safest place to get turned around. Supervisor said they don't agree with it being considered a back first but nothing they can do about it.

Which is why I said "drive for a short distance".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You could very well have a back first exception. You have to hit something like 20 mph before it clicks off the back first exception.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I was told by a sup it was a certain mph you had to hit. Either way it's stupid I'll continue to do my job the way I see safest.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

I avoid driveways and really avoid backing into driveways. It's not worth the risk,and is in violation of the methods. I'll always drive down the street until I can get turned around without going onto someone's property

ups2000

I avoid driveways and really avoid backing into driveways. It's not worth the risk,and is in violation of the methods. I'll always drive down the street until I can get turned around without going onto someone's property
I will normally just back in to a side street but unfortenlty this was a dead end street with no cul de sac and I only backed far enough to get turned around. Let's say there was a cul de sac same distance and I had to back bc couldnt get turned around I still would have been on repor

Last edited: