WARNING LETTER........what a joke!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
FYI, this post is just me venting about how my day started......
3 weeks ago I had the privilege of having a "3 day lock in ride" with an on road sup. because of my overallowed. My route was completely changed for those three days, including but not limited to....
1. Area was changed drastically, about 35-40%.
2. Went from having over 110 signature stops a day down to less than 70 signature stops a day.
3. Perfect, stop for stop load (set up by preload supervisor) each day
4. On road sup opening doors, making customer contacts and touching packages!!! ..... and many other small things. .... back to today,.....
I receive a warning letter stating that while the sup was with me I performed at a rate of 19.5 SPORH with an avg of .35 overallowed and since then I have been doing only 18.4 SPORH with an avg of .89 overallowed!!!! BULLCRAP!!!!!
My union steward quickly told me after the meeting that this so called warning letter would be tossed out at first glance because of all the nonsense that it contained. I am not at all worried about the warning letter or it going on my record because I know that it is complete garbage. I am just really peeved with the way this supervisor has tried to treat me like this. I use my methods, I don't cheat, I am a safe driver and I have very happy customers. They can come talk to me when any of these things change.
BAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!.......ok. I think I'm done now.
Well today I had my sit down, to lock me in and my route changes every single day, like you say. They said I was locked in at 13.9. The day before I was ridden with for 3 days, I was 12.9 but less OA, well that dont matter now. They want consistency.
My sup did say I was consistent, consistently slow. LOL
I didnt say much and I didnt sign anything. I explained My thoughts on it being math. It changes every day. I try every day to do my best.
Today I was probably 16.0. Doesnt happen often, but it did. Tomorrow it may be 12.0. It all depends on miles, cods, area allowances, pkg count pick up count. Its all BS.
When mine tried to help me when he thought I was carrying too much, we would stop, and put the pkg back on my stack where it belonged. And then we went on.
Never let him open doors, If he did I stalled a moment. If Im supposedly going to be held to this, I dont want any help. Just get off the phone and outta the way.
Dont worry about it, I know easy to say, but if you are doing the best humanly possible, and you arent taking a nap, you have little control over the day. It will all be over soon and there will be another fruit of the month.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The problem I have is that if they want us drivers to have a consistent Spohr, then why does my min-max change everyday. If my Spohr is 15.0 then 8 hours should be 120 stops and 9.5 becomes about 140. My min-max changes every single day but my Spohr is to stay the same.

My dispatcher tells me when they add routes then it goes down, when they cut them, it goes up. It is a line of BS to hold drivers to a set Spohr with changing working conditions daily !!!!!!

bigbrownhen

I have asked the same thing. I haven't gotten a straight answer either. Very frustrating!! When you know your are doing your best, that's all you can do. It is hard sometimes to let it go, but you have to or you will just be stressing yourself out over something you have no control over.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
To my way of thinking it is not just unfair to jack the numbers around on 3 day lock-in rides, by manipulating the variables, it seems to me to be suicidal for the oncar. Realistically as we go fewer and fewer drivers will be willing or able to accomplish the fantasy sporhs without the same interference as was brought to bear on magic ride day(s). As these instances pile up the grievances will multiply like polo shirts on a preload sickout day. If UPS can make a perfect day for us everyday, wouldn't THAT BE CHEAPER than 25000 3 day rides? How many new customers can this same old tired plan generate?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem I have is that if they want us drivers to have a consistent Spohr, then why does my min-max change everyday. If my Spohr is 15.0 then 8 hours should be 120 stops and 9.5 becomes about 140. My min-max changes every single day but my Spohr is to stay the same.

My dispatcher tells me when they add routes then it goes down, when they cut them, it goes up. It is a line of BS to hold drivers to a set Spohr with changing working conditions daily !!!!!!

Your min/max changes everyday because your PDS is told that he must meet a dictated Stops Per Car number. Fewer routes means more stops per car. Add/cuts do impact your SPORH depending upon whether the extra work is a dense residential area, sparse rural area, commercial or industrial area.

For some reason Tuesdays are our busy day. I am usually given one of two (or sometimes both) dense residential areas adjacent to my area. Each takes about 20 minutes or so to deliver 10-12 stops. One of the areas I drive through to start my pickups and the other is just outside of my pickups so the mileage bump is minimal. Adding these areas does raise my SPORH by 1 or 2 stops.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You will forget this dweebs name in about 5 years!! By then he will be a Domino's delivery sup and you will still be at UPS !! Just work hard and honest and by the book....they come and go like the seasons !!!! Good Luck Drivah !!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
" I am doing the best I can.... In the safest manner possible. "

That should be your only response.

Ah yes.... the mythical 3 day lock-in ride....

It only exists if your steward or Business Agent allows it. Period

There are no production standards....

-Bug-

barnyard

KTM rider
This is what I don't understand. Why is the union allowing this? At first glance was in that meeting. I am so irritated with the union over this. When are the going to get off their arse and file a national SOMETHING, anything. OSHA, DOJ, DOL, NLRB, and probably more I can't think off right now should be working together in conjunction with the union to ensure safety at the workplace without harassment.:angry::angry:

The union allows this because it's members to not file grievances. The OP should have grieved every 'helpful' step the supe took during the ride.

You should be directing your anger towards all the people that never file a grievance, they are the ones that weaken the union.

barnyard

KTM rider
do you want one?

Absolutely not.

We will loose on 'set in stone' production standards.

This is frustrating. We were told that UPS was going to re-timestudy our area based on GPS data. Other centers in our region were all coming out on the driver's side, by about 10%. I am sure that we will never get new allowances that favor the driver. (we were supposed to get restudied over a year ago.)

UPS could also add allowances for weight and size. The data is already in the system. It takes less time and effort to deliver an envelope vs a case of paper, yet we get the same allowance for both. Our cube size has increased significantly over the last 20 years, no increase in time allowance unless it is over 70lbs. OS3 at 50lbs = no added allowance.

Since EDD/PAS has come to our center, every route lost all sorting time. ALL OF IT. Automotive wants to take away 4 P1000s and replace them with P700s. Those 4 routes go out stuffed in their current routes, I did 1 of the routes when it was stuffed into a P7, shockingly I was an hour over, plus I had to meet another driver to take off a 16 package residential delivery (moved and I could not get farther into my truck with the 16, 30-60lb packages in my way.)

The list goes on and on and on. IE seems to be content with developing loads with only half the available information. Our only recourse is to file over 9.5 grievances, so that is the thing to do.

Filing grievances has become very easy for me since I recognized that I will not retire at UPS.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The union allows this because it's members to not file grievances. The OP should have grieved every 'helpful' step the supe took during the ride.

You should be directing your anger towards all the people that never file a grievance, they are the ones that weaken the union.

I know. But, I was talking about this particular situation. I think they failed him.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Interesting. Does the union provide the members with any checklists to improve their performance or just accoutability avoidance help?

The union has never offered me , personally, any checklist to improve performance.

However if they did offer any assistance on how to perform the job, they had better negotiate more pay and less "production standards" in our contracts had the union ever recognize such a mysterious and frankly irresponsible buzz word.

The only thing we are to produce are satisfied customers. That is what "UPS" is.

When UPS begins a service to PRODUCE a package product (UPS picks a product from a line, packages it professionaly and creates the package for entry into a system), I could envision a fair standard for production metric.

The PAS system threw the whole ballgame for a loop, by implementing a reasonably superior however flawed system with even more flawed management running/operating it. Sorry to say. It takes mathmatical "verifications" down to the dollar signs, to a whole 'notha level.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
P.S. the main point is, why would the union do the companies job, to provide checklists to improve their performance?

Should the company not provide a driver 1/2 hour a day time allownace to complete their own daily checklist? That sounds fair to me!

barnyard

KTM rider
I know. But, I was talking about this particular situation. I think they failed him.

How could they have failed him??? The OP said nothing of filing a grievance and that is the only in that instance the union could do anything that would either help or be construed as a failure. The union can only be as successful as it's members allow it to be.

If the OP had added, "I grieved it all and the shop steward and then the BA looked at my grievance, crumpled it up and threw it away." Then I would agree that they failed him.

People at the union are not mind readers, they cannot look into a crystal ball and see management doing contract work.

WE are the union.