Warning Letter!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was making a pickup at a pack n ship that is also a bait shop. One of the local cops in uniform was shopping the fishing tackle. Police have more important things to do then worry about horn tapping.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Let me add this, policemen are public servants. We have every right to contact whomever we need to, in order to defend ourselves against some of managements outrageous disciplinary attempts. If I need to call the local cop shop every day, I will. I pay their wages.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Instead of getting angry at the supervisor who issued that warning letter...try feeling pity for him instead.

If you take a minute to really think about it there are only two possibilities here, and both of them are pretty sad.

Possibility #1 is that the supervisor actually believes in the nonsense that he is preaching. He is so naive, so deluded, and so completely out of touch with the reality of our job that he sincerely thinks that writing you a warning letter for not blaring the horn is a legitimate method of improving safety and productivity. In other words...he is an idiot.

Possibility #2 is that the supervisor knows that what he is doing is complete nonsense, but he is so desperate to justify his own miserable existence at UPS that he must continue going though the motions of spewing out these nonsensical, meaningless warning letters in order to meet his quota and maintain the illusion that he is actually contributing something positive to the company that we work for. In other words....he is a puppet.

Thre is no point in getting angry at idiots or puppets, because long after you have finally resolved your feelings of anger... they will still be idiots or puppets. Its a lot easier in the long run to feel pity for them instead, and to be grateful that you arent in their shoes.

Packmule

Well, got my warning letter today. Found out steward was out on disability, so I told them I would take any witness they wanted to bring in. I refused to sign for it, however, because it was so generic it could be used for any safety infraction whatsoever. They refuse to rewrite it. Just got done faxing in my rebuttal grievance, and talking to steward on the phone about it. See what happens. Told them my resolution was for company to cease with the policy because it is basically against the law, and sets me up for a citation if ever a complaint is filed through law-enforcement. Meanwhile, I now have to blow the horn hard enough to ensure that both, a spying manager, and a neighborhood homeowner heard it. If I'm ever backed into anyway, (which has happened in our building) I will need the witness so I'm not charged. Of course, a REAL union wouldn't hesitate to put us on a strikeline to win language that forbids chargeing or disciplining us for any accident that we are not LEGALLY responsible for. Period. This company needs to rethink their alliance with Liberty Mututal instead of harrassing their drivers.

Last edited:

soberups

Well, got my warning letter today. Found out steward was out on disability, so I told them I would take any witness they wanted to bring in. I refused to sign for it, however, because it was so generic it could be used for any safety infraction whatsoever. They refuse to rewrite it. Just got done faxing in my rebuttal grievance, and talking to steward on the phone about it. See what happens. Told them my resolution was for company to cease with the policy because it is basically against the law, and sets me up for a citation if ever a complaint is filed through law-enforcement. Meanwhile, I now have to blow the horn hard enough to ensure that both, a spying manager, and a neighborhood homeowner heard it. If I'm ever backed into anyway, (which has happened in our building) I will need the witness so I'm not charged. Of course, a REAL union wouldn't hesitate to put us on a strikeline to win language that forbids chargeing or disciplining us for any accident that we are not LEGALLY responsible for. Period. This company needs to rethink their alliance with Liberty Mututal instead of harrassing their drivers.

We have "innocent until proven guilty" language that protects us from suspension or discharge until after the grievance process has been completed. In order to actually suspend you the company will first have to successfully convince a grievance panel that the suspension is warranted, which in this case they will never be able to do. The warning letter they issued you is not worth the paper it is written on. Believe me, I know its frustrating...2 yrs ago I had a sup hide out in front of a Taco Bell during my lunch hour so he could cherry-pick an easy warning letter for "failing to keep my hands at the 10 and 2" when I left the parking lot...but you just have to accept the fact that they are going to spew out those warning letters no matter what you do so there isnt any point in you worrying about it. That warning letter is just a piece of paper. It doesnt mean anything. You arent going to get suspended and you arent going to get fired, so go ahead and let them play their silly games.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have "innocent until proven guilty" language that protects us from suspension or discharge until after the grievance process has been completed. In order to actually suspend you the company will first have to successfully convince a grievance panel that the suspension is warranted, which in this case they will never be able to do. The warning letter they issued you is not worth the paper it is written on. Believe me, I know its frustrating...2 yrs ago I had a sup hide out in front of a Taco Bell during my lunch hour so he could cherry-pick an easy warning letter for "failing to keep my hands at the 10 and 2" when I left the parking lot...but you just have to accept the fact that they are going to spew out those warning letters no matter what you do so there isnt any point in you worrying about it. That warning letter is just a piece of paper. It doesnt mean anything. You arent going to get suspended and you arent going to get fired, so go ahead and let them play their silly games.
Sober, I was suspended when the evidence clearly showed I did nothing wrong. No grievance process had been initiated at that point. No panel involved.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
All this drama over blowing a horn...yeesh.

I ain't
I won't
its against...
they can't make me
we won
they won
but what if
I filed
you should have
you must
you are instructed
my supervisor
UPS makes
I wish
I could have

It is your job to do what the boss tells you (like any other job out there) . If you want to be the boss buy your own truck and do what you want.

What a great place to work every day.....

Integrity

Binge Poster
It is your job to do what the boss tells you (like any other job out there) . If you want to be the boss buy your own truck and do what you want.

Dragon,

This is true.

It is every employees job to do what their boss tells them.

The boss at UPS tells his employees what to do by way of the UPS Policy Book and the Code of Business Conduct.

It is every employees job to do what the UPS Policy Book and the Code of Business Conduct tells them.

The UPS policy book and the Code of Business conduct tells employees that they must report or disclose possible violations of policy and/or conduct.

It is the responsibility of UPS management to lead the way and set the example by doing what the boss tells them.

Every UPS management person must do what the boss tells them and report any possible violation of UPS Policy and/or Code of Conduct.

Sincerely,
I

soberups

All this drama over blowing a horn...yeesh. .....What a great place to work every day.....

Dragon,

The "drama" was created when the company made a business decision to have a supervisor follow this driver around, spy on him, and issue him a warning letter for failing to blow a horn.

Is this "drama" really necessary? Do you truly feel that this is a prudent use of company resources? We are told constantly that routes must be cut and paid days must be increased in order to "cut costs" and "stay competitive", yet at the same time we are paying management people to issue these petty and ridiculous warning letters against the drivers who are out there busting their asses to generate the revenue that pays your salary.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Dragon,

The "drama" was created when the company made a business decision to have a supervisor follow this driver around, spy on him, and issue him a warning letter for failing to blow a horn.

Is this "drama" really necessary? Do you truly feel that this is a prudent use of company resources? We are told constantly that routes must be cut and paid days must be increased in order to "cut costs" and "stay competitive", yet at the same time we are paying management people to issue these petty and ridiculous warning letters against the drivers who are out there busting their asses to generate the revenue that pays your salary.

Mgmnt biting the hand that feeds them.

over9five

Staff member
...... yet at the same time we are paying management people to issue these petty and ridiculous warning letters against the drivers who are out there busting their asses to generate the revenue that pays your salary.
And in their next breath, they'll beg for a sales lead.....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All this drama over blowing a horn...yeesh.

I ain't
I won't
its against...
they can't make me
we won
they won
but what if
I filed
you should have
you must
you are instructed
my supervisor
UPS makes
I wish
I could have

I think what happens in these instances, where hourlies openly question directives, is frontline managers like Dragon resent it because they cannot openly question them whether they want to or not.
Reality has it that they are not managers at all, rather faciltators.
This developement in UPS's culture over past years , in my opinion, is our biggest weakness.
The assembly line/cookie cutter mentality has little to no place in this business.
A true managers ability to evaluate and assess frontline issues was once an integral part of the sucess of a centers operation.
Now they are simply instructed to cram 6 lbs of crap into a 5 lb sack and are chastized when they get some on their shoes.