Warning letter

Oak

I had worked a couple of peaks as a helper. Finally got on permanent on local sort. My very first night feeder pulled off door with me in the trailer. Scared the crap out of me.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I always like when supervisors punch up wrong doors or punch up a door that isn't ready and a shifter pulls it. The shifter will get in trouble but jack squat happens to the supervisor. Funny how that works.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Only one time? Used to happen all the time. Tell the unloader or loader to just sit down and hang on. Whatever you do, don't jump out of the trailer or you may break a leg and get ran over in the darkness.
This should be part of their training. If you are loading or unloading a trailer and it begins to move, sit down and hold on. He will eventually stop to come and close the door or park it on the lot.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Shifting on yard pulled wrong trailer off door with someone inside still
In most areas it is policy now to verify that the back door is down even before hooking to it. I got in the habit of always pulling straight off the door for at least 25 feet in case the extendo was still in the trailer. This was before the visual check was mandated. Sup called a door, we hooked and pulled it. No checking.

Pull straight off 25 feet before turning should keep from breaking an extendo if it is still in the trailer.

Pull off with an unlaoder still in it...warning letter. Tear up an extendo...discharge.

MaceFremonti

Always double check yourself! I was at NEWPA one day last year and was about to back the dolly under my rear trailer. I was walking towards the door to enter the building and the guy had been loading my trailer was walking out.

"All done?", I asked.

"Yup, just closed it up."

I turned around, walked back to my tractor, backed the dolly up, and then pulled the rear trailer about 5 feet off the door.

The yelling and screaming started before I even had the brakes set. A supe and TWO loaders were attempting to get the load bar up. The trailer was at 90% so they were right on the edge!

The supe actually apoligized to me for opening the door back up and going in the trailer. He said he thought tjey could get it up and the door closed before I pulled the trailer off. They heard me honking and backing up but decided to try and beat the old, fat, and slow Feeder driver....

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Always double check yourself! I was at NEWPA one day last year and was about to back the dolly under my rear trailer.

I love that building.....quite a few VERY attractive girls there, they should be strippers :)

To the OP, always verify your bay and trailer before you hook up. Not only that, ALWAYS walk to the rear of the trailer banging on the door to make sure nobody is inside. Hopefully this was a one time mistake on your part.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Always double check yourself! I was at NEWPA one day last year and was about to back the dolly under my rear trailer. I was walking towards the door to enter the building and the guy had been loading my trailer was walking out.

"All done?", I asked.

"Yup, just closed it up."

I turned around, walked back to my tractor, backed the dolly up, and then pulled the rear trailer about 5 feet off the door.

The yelling and screaming started before I even had the brakes set. A supe and TWO loaders were attempting to get the load bar up. The trailer was at 90% so they were right on the edge!

The supe actually apoligized to me for opening the door back up and going in the trailer. He said he thought tjey could get it up and the door closed before I pulled the trailer off. They heard me honking and backing up but decided to try and beat the old, fat, and slow Feeder driver....
The old, fat, slow feeder driver that is lazy. Hooking to a trailer and pulling it 5 feet is against company policy. Not to mention that if the legs are still touching the ground, you risk bending them.

Did you ever notice some trailer legs are hard to crank. Sometimes it is other issues, but one of the issues is lazy guys like you that slightly bend the legs and make them difficult to raise by dragging them off the door.

Never drag a trailer off the door. Get your lazy :censored2: out of the truck, hook up the lines and then pull it off 5 feet. Then go back and seal it. If you had done this, they would have had plenty of time to set the load bar and you would not have a story to tell.

MaceFremonti

That's how I was trained and thats how I have done it on my yearly rides.

Obviously you dont do that if the legs are still touching the ground. The way I was taught is that if the landing gear is up off the ground then you just drag the trailer a few feet forward. This tests both your coupling and the trailer's spring brakes. You are not.dragging the trailer all the way down 95 to Richmond....just a few feet off the door.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's how I was trained and thats how I have done it on my yearly rides.

Obviously you dont do that if the legs are still touching the ground. The way I was taught is that if the landing gear is up off the ground then you just drag the trailer a few feet forward. This tests both your coupling and the trailer's spring brakes. You are not.dragging the trailer all the way down 95 to Richmond....just a few feet off the door.
Agreed, but you cannot see the legs unless you get out. You can see the trailer raise, but your not sure how much. Sorry, it's just my pet peave. Everytime I have a trailer that is hard to crank, I bitch, to myself, at the drivers that drag them off the door and bend the legs.

If I drug it off 5 feet on my yearly safety ride, I would be issued a warning letter. When you hook up, were told to pull against it just to make sure it is hooked. It may move 6 inches to a foot, but not 5 feet.

MoarTape

He continued giving me an attitude for his :censored2: up and said he checked the trailer

I've had sups give me crap in the primary for pulling a trailer they just started unloading. I always double check the trailer number and the bay number and walk to the back to bang on the trailer and take a peak inside. Not my fault he fat fingered it in the hubcom. He just kept saying "that's codswallop"

MaceFremonti

Seriously, both in the initial Feeder training/class and the yearly I specifically asked about this and the reply was just pull it a little off the door. You will waste too much time getting in and out and hooking up lines if you dont. Both onroads were fresh out of DTS......

I was actually thinking about changing my routine anyway...I wait quite a bit on my new run so time is no longer of the essence.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Seriously, both in the initial Feeder training/class and the yearly I specifically asked about this and the reply was just pull it a little off the door. You will waste too much time getting in and out and hooking up lines if you dont. Both onroads were fresh out of DTS......

I was actually thinking about changing my routine anyway...I wait quite a bit on my new run so time is no longer of the essence.
That type of thinking is just about always wrong when it comes to safety, as soon as someone starts talking like that I know to stop listening. For what it's worth I got trained about the same time you did and no one ever told me to drag the rear trailer off the door. I do see a lot of guys do it but I don't.

MaceFremonti

Well if you are fortunate enough to drive a Kenworth they don't have the balls to pull trailers off the doors anyway....Now an Old International on the other hand....

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That type of thinking is just about always wrong when it comes to safety, as soon as someone starts talking like that I know to stop listening. For what it's worth I got trained about the same time you did and no one ever told me to drag the rear trailer off the door. I do see a lot of guys do it but I don't.
When I worked inside, usually the feeder guys would bang on the side of the trailer before hooking up, then would come inside and stand there until the door was put down then immediately pull it. If it was just a regular pull & replace the shifter would still bang on the side of the trailer and yell they were pulling it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It is UPS policy to go inside and clear area and verbal inform you are hooking up! Never hit pin till you go inside and check !! But yrs ago we never did, and some pt'rs took the Axel Foley ride around the yard !! In some small buildings the primary sup works alone and calls me on the phone and clears trl,,,I trust him and have a long great repore with him,,,in other buildings they have young gun pt sups and I refuse to take their word and I go inside,,drives them nuts!!