Warning Letter

HardknocksUPSer

For .1 you shouldn't be scanning looking for "misloads" it's not technically a misload until it's left the building in the wrong car.
.2 the warning letter should be protested by your local and most likely means absolutely nothing of any importance.
.3 follow exactly what they say regarding how you load packages and how you go about writing HINS on them and how your instructed to load them. Chances are at this point you'll get way behind and start to stack out, they'll either stop caring how you load as long as you get off the clock or give you a reasonable amount of work that you're able to do follow their methods. It's a win win for you, congrats.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
If you're that type of sup then I'd purposely only handle one package at a time, regardless of size and state that I cannot properly grasp more than 1 package at a time at the corners. Your comeback will be that it's a small package and that I can carry more than one on top of the other. I'll come back with 'That may be true, but if the top package slides off while I'm walking, it becomes a trip hazard. I cannot work under unsafe conditions so I'll be filing a grievance under article 37 every day until you move me off the belt."

Enjoy me stacking out every single day and getting other people to do my work for me.

Edit: My PT & FT Sups don't mess with me any more. I've had shouting matches and shut down the entire belt for multiple reasons for long periods of time due to them being complete D*s to me. Nothing they can do as if they try to turn the belt on they would have to violate safety.

I remember a supervisor got on me about carrying more then one box. I made him so mad with my responses. I said what if I carry boxes that add up to over 70 pounds. I said does size matter when your carrying more then one box. Then I said I carry them all in but I have to write the hin number on them and make sure their correct on the self. Then I said I have to make sure my path is clear I have to pick the stuff up off the floor. Anywoo after the constant questioning he left me alone and quit about six months later.

Jkloc420

I just got into the union 2 days ago. Yesterday, there was a lot of volume, and a lot of misloads between the entire belt. 4/6 people got warning letters. Mine was for "Failure to follow directions" I circle pals, and write the numbers on the boxes. I scan packages when I can. That is the instructions I have been taught.

The supervisor keeps harassing me to scan. When I get hit hard (basically the entire day because I load all Bulk stops some with 80+ packages) My first priority is to Make sure I can get them on the correct truck so I am not stacked out terribly. I don't misload any bulk, its normally when packages fall off the belt, or someone above me misses their work and that package ends up in my stack. I do scan when I can in a safe manner.

I don't know how I have not followed directions. There is no set amount of scans we need to have. Also, they claimed to have given me "verbals" about scanning. There was no shop stewart present. Then when I was given a warning letter, the guy who I think was a stewart ( I wasn't sure if he was or not because the only one I know of is a girl )

Should I file a grievance for the warning letter and harassment? Side Note: Supervisors also come chip in when I have 100 packages coming down the belt at once) That wouldn't make me accountable for misloads.

Today was absolute HELL. After 4 people got their warning letters, everyone stacked out to the point where you couldn't navigate one truck to the other. (Because they try to scan every package to reduce misloads) That is creating an unsafe work environment.

How would one go about this?

Furthermore anyone that loads your trucks should be told to just stack it out and not load it. It is your truck and your responsible for them. Therefore you have the disgression. Make it known if someone else is loading your cars.

Jkloc420

I got in trouble for pulling the PAL.. :angry-very: Its much easier than writing on every damn package.. plus you can see if you have misloads that way.. because the pal is on the front.

Not disagreeing with you. I just do what the management wants me to. If they want me to write on it I write on it. That way I don't get a letter for failure to follow directions. They are big on this. Missloads are a flavor of the month type of thing at ups.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I never understood the whole writing HIN numbers on the package. If it is a misload, then all writing the HIN number with do is make sure the misload is loaded in the right spot on the wrong car.

That is unless they have you write the car number as well. When I preloaded they just told us to write the sequence number and not the car number.