*********** warning letters

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It sounds to me you got it all figured out!

The camera is an aid. There is nothing better than your own two eyes to give you depth perception, distance and the ability to quickly assess a large area for risks and hazards. If you back to the blind side, you lose your best visual tool. Now! Where is that cup of coffee at! I am thirsty. LOL

I'll buy you a cup, no problem.
But you missed my point.
You managers spend your whole career throwing stones from your glass block offices preaching the rhetoric, crunching the numbers. You guys live in the matrix. I'm out there in the real world.
Where does depth perception with my own two eyes come into play unless I HAVE MY HEAD HANGING OUT THE DOOR. If that's the case I'm only monitoring one of several vantage points.
Your right the camera is an aid. So are mirrors. When I'm sitting in that seat going backwards these aids are all I have and I have learned to master them. Every back is a "blind" back if not for these aids you speak of.

UPS Lifer

But you missed my point.
You managers spend your whole career throwing stones from your glass block offices preaching the rhetoric, crunching the numbers. You guys live in the matrix. I'm out there in the real world.
Where does depth perception with my own two eyes come into play unless I HAVE MY HEAD HANGING OUT THE DOOR. If that's the case I'm only monitoring one of several vantage points.
Your right the camera is an aid. So are mirrors. When I'm sitting in that seat going backwards these aids are all I have and I have learned to master them. Every back is a "blind" back if not for these aids you speak of.

I found your Achilles Heal - You are assuming that all managers don't have a clue what you do. This is laughable. I love the reference "you managers". Again you have it all figured out.

You don't have to stick your head out the door. You are not following the methods if you do that. Keep your eyes moving - move them every 3-5 seconds.

As you are moving to the driver's side you are creating a turn radius. You can look out the door (without sticking your head out) and get a field of vision that has a large pie shape area. Then if you are following the methods, you are moving your head to the left mirror on to the windshield, up to the camera and over to the right mirror with a continuous flow until the process is complete.

If you stick your head out the window or stagnate your vision by only using one mirror etc. The risk of having an accident is increased and magnified.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I found your Achilles Heal - You are assuming that all managers don't have a clue what you do. This is laughable. I love the reference "you managers". Again you have it all figured out.

You don't have to stick your head out the door. You are not following the methods if you do that. Keep your eyes moving - move them every 3-5 seconds.

As you are moving to the driver's side you are creating a turn radius. You can look out the door (without sticking your head out) and get a field of vision that has a large pie shape area. Then if you are following the methods, you are moving your head to the left mirror on to the windshield, up to the camera and over to the right mirror with a continuous flow until the process is complete.

If you stick your head out the window or stagnate your vision by only using one mirror etc. The risk of having an accident is increased and magnified.

Once again your missing my point.
Where's the blind side?
I'm doing what your preaching.
I'm using all these aids you speak of.
All backs are blind without them.
Sticking my head over my shoulder and out the door is the only possible "advantage" in a drivers side back and I claim that to be a disadvantage as well as unsafe.
I'm asking you to consider what I consider to be managements "Achilles Heal". That all of The Methods are full proof and absolute.
Don't get me wrong, I long ago accepted my role as a subordinate.
Therefore I will work as directed, especially when called on the carpet for my own interpretations or actions.
At UPS my interpretations, as I stated before, won't buy me a cup of coffee.
Here on this site, their worth is determined by the reader.
I value your input and apologize if I lumped you in with the "you managers" crowd.
Haven't met many that exhibit the ability to demonstrate original thought.
You still haven't shown me were the blind spot is in a "blind side back" now that there is a rear view monitor.
I acknowledge there are differences in visual perspectives, but a good and experienced driver can process these differences.
Without a true blind spot there is no blind side back.

Last edited:

UPS Lifer

I would probably have to demonstrate it to you. Is it better with a camera?? Sure, but you lose depth perception and the ability to see a changing situation. If you back to the driver side you can see exactly where you are backing and if a car or pedestrian or animal enters your space you see them coming. You can see the back of the truck and the path at all times.

On a blind side backing situation - everything out of the mirror or camera's field of view is invisible to you. Within 2 seconds, something could change that you do not see. It may be to late if something pops into view from the blind side.

I never just pops into view from the driver side. You always see everything that is happening.

Why would you ant to take that kind of chance?

tieguy

Banned
But you missed my point.

I don't disagree that your experience has its value. Don't discount those of us who live in the "glass houses" either.

I live and learn through others mistakes. Unfortunately I have the opportunity to do so too frequently. There may actually be things you can learn from me.