WARNING!!! Picture Poster's Beware!

iowa boy

Steve, sorry to hear you got a little "vacation" for showing how much you love your job. That sure bites. Just enjoy the time with the family and hopefully it doesn't sour your dedication too much, it sure would sour mine.

rod

Retired 22 years
Welcome to the "little vacation" club:wink2: I've been down that road myself a couple of times-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------P.S. I won't even rub it in that I told you they were watching you.:euro:

satellitedriver

STUG,
Please take what I say to heart and in good humor.
I saw this coming, with your posts, and should be an abject lesson for all posters in Brown Cafe.
Anytime one posts a pic in uniform, or shows any copyright protected material:
IE: Diad, Logo, uniform, pkg car ect...,
(even though we all enjoy them)
places two parties in jeopardy.
The poster and Brown Cafe.
UPS has the legal right to enforce it's protection of it's copyrights and it's reputation.
Please, future posters, do not put Brown Cafe, or yourself, in jeopardy
From this point on, I will delete (and, damn it I hate doing it) any photo or representation that is negative to UPS's legal rights.
OK,
having said that,
I think it sux that STUG should get any work related heat over his posts.
His posts were funny, positive and a great vent point for most UPSer's.
I hope the idiots wasting UPS's time and money monitoring this site call me in for a conference.

over9five

Staff member
Steve, if I could ask, how could they get away with suspending you? Had you already received a written warning for this?

I hope you responded with a grievance. It should be on record that you disagree with the suspension.

Was progression of discipline followed? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like they were in a hurry to make an example of you. Grieve it, you may end up with pay for those days.

kingOFchester

WOW, Sorry to hear the news STUG. Interesting that the vacation came at the same time as your injury. Also, posting mgmnt cutting corners was probably where they decided to draw the line. God for bid we/you document them not following their methods.
It's a real shame that this has happened. I started out at UPS being impressed with the company. Everyday since then UPS has chipped away at that illusion.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about this Steve, I've always thought your posts and pictures were lighthearted and fun, but honestly I'm surprised that something didn't happen sooner. What has been done to you is reason #1 why I will never, ever reveal my identity on these boards.

Having said that, a suspension is flat ridiculous, what a bunch of jerks. Would it really have been so hard for them to pull you aside, explain their legal position, and ask you to take down the pictures that they had an issue with? I'm with over9five on this one: Tell them what they can do with that joke of a safety committee, and file for back pay.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Sorry to hear of your suspension. I would definitely consult with your steward because you should have received a verbal warning first.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
over 400,000 miserable souls working at ups and the company has to go and punish the only happy employee ups has.

How pathetic.
ditto that

if i knew how to do all that fancy computer cutting and pasting and copying i would gladly do it. friend---------------------------em:peaceful:
double ditto

steve, please thank them by resigning from their stupid, useless safety committee.

That was total bs.
immediately if not sooner,
too bad they dont react as quickly to serious problems, but lets react to a little humor.
Sucks

packagedude

Whats next..they gonna have a camara in the bulkhead to make sure when we pissing in a bottle ,that we dont dribble on the floor? geeesh!!!!!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, if I could ask, how could they get away with suspending you? Had you already received a written warning for this?

I hope you responded with a grievance. It should be on record that you disagree with the suspension.

Was progression of discipline followed? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like they were in a hurry to make an example of you. Grieve it, you may end up with pay for those days.

I'm sorry to hear about this Steve, I've always thought your posts and pictures were lighthearted and fun, but honestly I'm surprised that something didn't happen sooner. What has been done to you is reason #1 why I will never, ever reveal my identity on these boards.

Having said that, a suspension is flat ridiculous, what a bunch of jerks. Would it really have been so hard for them to pull you aside, explain their legal position, and ask you to take down the pictures that they had an issue with? I'm with over9five on this one: Tell them what they can do with that joke of a safety committee, and file for back pay.

Sorry to hear of your suspension. I would definitely consult with your steward because you should have received a verbal warning first.

ditto that

double ditto

immediately if not sooner,
too bad they dont react as quickly to serious problems, but lets react to a little humor.
Sucks

I was going to be terminated, this morning. I bargained on the phone with my center manager. He relayed stuff to his bosses. Everyone wanted me gone, except for my DM, who likes me for some reason. Always tells me that I remind him of the way he used to be. Faced with a termination and the possibility of being out up to a year, fighting this, I chose the suspension.

I've got a family to care for, and this, though not what I really wanted, is the lesser of two evils. That being said, this bargain precludes any further action from my part. No grievance, no back pay and no more posting stuff with UPS equipment or logo's, etc... This doesn't mean I won't post pictures. It just means that the pictures won't include all of that stuff. I therefore have deleted all of the "funny" pictures from my album and my blog.

Thanks for all your support. Once again, props to Cheryl for this awesome site. She's really bummed about the situation, so please continue to PM her and let her know how great a site she has. I put my foot in it and I'm a big boy. I'm man enough to face the consequence of my actions, no matter if I agree or disagree with my punishment.

I was verbally warned about the monkey head. Was told that I "shouldn't" do stuff like that. I was like, stuff like what? I found no harm in that or any funny pictures. This was the very next step. Whether I agree or disagree, isn't the problem. If you grab me, and twist my arm behind me, leaving me to choose between a 50/50 fight for my job, or a 5 day, I have to choose wisely.

My tail is not between my legs and my head is still held high. This will all work out okay, and seems to be already. My 6 year old has a virus, and I would have needed to stay home with her for the next few days, anyways. I prefer the idea of unpaid days, so's I can use my paid days for something more enjoyable. Again, thanks for the love.

Steve!!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think you did the right thing given the situation as you explained it. The fact that they were willing to reduce it to a suspension over the phone tells me that was probably their goal all along, ie, terminate you and then at the local level hearing reduce it to a suspension for time served, so the end result would have been the same. But that's just speculation on my part and I would never encourage another employee to gamble with their job, especially in this economy. If it had gone all the way to panel you would have risked getting used as a bargaining chip in someone else's bad deal and losing your job regardless of the merits of your own case.

I'm glad that didn't happen, and at the end of the day this is just an unnecessarily harsh reminder of the type of company that we work for. I'm so glad to be closer to the end of my career than the start of it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Now go back to acting like a brown faceless robot and the big loafing oaf of a company will continue it's downward spiral into oblivion.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That really sucks Steve. What I'd really like to know is why all of a sudden are they pushing this? This thread started a more than a month ago and has almost 20,000 hits on it. Something doesn't make sense here. When Hoax got his hand slapped it happened almost immedeately.

The thread title has 'diad' in it and I can't believe the site watchers didn't see this until now. It's BS. Something is fishy here.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We are so highly visible, I can't see how they can stop this. This is not a trademark infringement, you are not making any money off this. I don't get it. Anyone can take pics anywhere. I would think this would be under freedom of speech. I would think think this is a violation of constitutional rights.