Was EDD Forced Like Orion

S

selfcancelsignal

I remember that management teams went out on road to "trace" the route. But if drivers didn't like something local management was always willing to tweek it if your request made sense. Orion is supposed to be able to do the same, but never seems to work. And everyday the problem areas trace out differently so it's impossible to get a foundation from which to start.
Original EDD also remembered right hand rule, working to the right side of the road, and staying out of residential driveways.
I don't care as much about the right hand rule while doing resi's as much as I do while doing businesses. Especially when I have to use my cart. RDO, at least you can memorize the delivery pockets & run it your own way to minimize miles. ODO is very dangerous & time consuming in my business area & you can't memorize the delivery pockets as efficiently with the pickups sprinkled in at ridiculous times! It's dumbly different every day. My dispatcher said he didn't think RDO would ever go away, but if it does, we'll all have some major brain retraining to do, & it won't be very efficient. Pretty much like ODO now anyway.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The biggest thing I remember about EDD was the supervisor implementing it in our center told us" your trcuk will be loaded Stop for stop! there will never be another misload again because the Spa Label will not only tell the preloader which truck to load the package on, but where in the truck to load it!!"

We were just talking about this yesterday.

Look at what dumbing down the job to keep wages low has done to preload...

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
EDD was great if you set it up right. I had it set up perfect you could follow it pretty much stop for stop and you would be fine, areas with tight streets that loop around each other not withstanding. All turns were right hand, I never crossed busy streets.
But thankfully with Orion all that is gone and now all that matters is miles, not safety, not customer service, just miles.

JL 0513

Your diad was a blank slate that you manually entered every package and address into. The stops, if you had a preload, had hand written seq numbers and were just general sections, some with one number for an entire street.

Before that, I loaded my own truck by area knowledge. We had no preload at all. It was a driver sort and load. You loaded resis in your business section for those who lived and worked on your route. Sometimes the guy next to you would give you stops like that or you'd give him some.

That was the biggest bummer for old timers, when that went away. You got 2 stops for that and customers loved it.

EDD was an improvement due to the fact you could see at a glance what you had. Orion can't really compare to either of the previous systems.

In the days when you loaded your own car where it seemed to be very dependent on area knowledge, what happened on your vacations? How did a cover driver who had never done the route before load the car and deliver it successfully?

Man, am I glad I started when we had all this tech in place.

CanGuy

new here, up in Canada apparently just getting EDD soon. right now we just load them with sequence numbers and go... just start delivering at the lowest sequence and go.. it's awesome!

barnyard

KTM rider
When our center 1st switched to EDD, it was a huge, poorly implemented, cluster. For a month, customers were calling our center, wondering when they were going to get their deliveries.

Most routes lost an hour of time allowance with EDD and the company tried to load an extra hour of work on routes from day 1. That meant cutting and combining. Had they implemented EDD AND THEN relooped to realize the time savings, they could have saved everyone a ton of time and headaches.

Our EDD implementation time completely ignored drivers when building their new routes and then cried when we would not help them after they screwed it up.

We had several routes that Orion actually helped because the EDD trace was so horrible.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What was before EDD?
th

dropNbolt

EDD was never forced. 85% compliance was encouraged, but if it didnt work there was a supervisor with actual driving experience who was empowered to make the necessary changes. EDD was a tool, and a fairly good one if you used it with some common sense.
ORION, on the other hand, was designed and implemented by people who never did our jobs. At best, it is an irrelevant exercise in map theory. At its worst, it is an exercise in forced stupidity. Its a tool all right...but a tool that doesnt work. Its like telling a construction worker that he has to use a hammer 85% of the time even if 90% of the fasteners he is given are screws. Just pound away, and if the structure winds up collapsing it doesnt matter as long as the guy who issued that hammer can look good on a report.
^^^that is a great analogy...

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In the days when you loaded your own car where it seemed to be very dependent on area knowledge, what happened on your vacations? How did a cover driver who had never done the route before load the car and deliver it successfully?

Man, am I glad I started when we had all this tech in place.

Much like now, we had multiple cover drivers cross trained on most routes. The newest guys sometimes learned every route (15/25 depending on the season) in the bldg.

When I bid my first route, I knew probably 8 routes. There's no question that EDD made the job more efficient in finding stops in your load, provided they were loaded right. The trade off, was that with EDD came the preload and that actually took away our ability to customize our loads. It was a WIN/LOSE in that respect.

With a driver sort and load you also learned all the shortcuts, cool tips and tricks, where to watch out for a bad dog and who did and didn't want their home deliveries at their workplace.

No to mention you really got to know your coworkers way better. That could be good and bad, but mostly good.

Each step up in tech has made some advancements for UPS along with back stumbles. It's more robotic and less personal as we go.

They used to tell us "You are UPS to your customers. You are who they know and trust. You can sell more services far better than a Rep from Business Development."

That's all gone now in most cases. I still had some daily customers, but with all the cookie cutter dispatch, that customer relationship became less of a guarantee and so, less meaningful to customers.

That's the price you pay.

JL 0513

The other question is, when drivers loaded their own car, how long did that take? And since you spent all that time in the building, how many on road hours were there to a day?

CanGuy

The other question is, when drivers loaded their own car, how long did that take? And since you spent all that time in the building, how many on road hours were there to a day?

apparently drivers in Atlantic Canada start at 7am load their trucks and are usually punched out at 5pm... sounds like a sweet gig

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When we first went on EDD they wanted 85% compliance. That's when I first heard the term "Malicious Obedience."

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Befor EDD you just ran shelves at arm length. Most of us would pull over and sort by sections. Be it business or residential. When we were told about EDD we were all pretty suspicious of its usefulness but as we all now know, it truly was the greatest implementation outside of the DIAD that we've ever seen. I went home and on my own desk top computer typed up my routes delivery order as if I had a stop on every street both odd and even. Then we had supervisors ride with all of us for an entire week to insure its accuracy, not this 1 day horse crap they did with Orion.

I believe it was far better than what Orion has created, largest difference was that not only did they encourage our input but the than allowed us much more flexibility on area.

Side note though, EDD made good loaders great and bad loaders horrible. Same goes for drivers. The number one key is that it really is only a tool, like all tools good workers will gladly use them to their benefit.