Was EDD Forced Like Orion

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The other question is, when drivers loaded their own car, how long did that take? And since you spent all that time in the building, how many on road hours were there to a day?
There is a Driver Sort & Load building in our division. Usually only a 2 hour preload. Not all drivers come in. All bid by route. Usually the in town routes or other routes that are close. That way if they are low on hours by Friday they are close to the building. This particular building is extremely rural and only has 10 routes.

barnyard

KTM rider
Driver that I spoke to in Havre, said that the drivers that worked the preload, loaded 3 trucks and one unloaded the trailers. Other than unloading trailers, working the preload was/is high seniority work.

Packmule

Befor EDD you just ran shelves at arm length. Most of us would pull over and sort by sections. Be it business or residential. When we were told about EDD we were all pretty suspicious of its usefulness but as we all now know, it truly was the greatest implementation outside of the DIAD that we've ever seen. I went home and on my own desk top computer typed up my routes delivery order as if I had a stop on every street both odd and even. Then we had supervisors ride with all of us for an entire week to insure its accuracy, not this 1 day horse crap they did with Orion.

I believe it was far better than what Orion has created, largest difference was that not only did they encourage our input but the than allowed us much more flexibility on area.

Side note though, EDD made good loaders great and bad loaders horrible. Same goes for drivers. The number one key is that it really is only a tool, like all tools good workers will gladly use them to their benefit.
I also looped a few neighborhoods that had grown considerably since anyone updated EDD, and every driver that got those cuts complemented me on a job well done. Even overheard one driver advising a rookie to turn Orion off and run it the way I had looped it. Mentioned me by name.
Not bragging. Any experienced driver could do the same on areas they know. Why this company thinks they can do everything better from a computer in the office is mind boggling.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When we first went on EDD they wanted 85% compliance. That's when I first heard the term "Malicious Obedience."

Yep, we were expected to hit 85% also. There was even a sheet posted every morning with the percentages we ran the previous day.

My goal was to always hit the lowest percentage I could. Best (worst;)) I ever did was 30%.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The other question is, when drivers loaded their own car, how long did that take?

We'd start at 7/7:30 and be loaded and on the road, with air, by 8:45/9:15.

And since you spent all that time in the building, how many on road hours were there to a day?

Average day on a 7 AM start would last til around 5 PM, and with a mandatory 1 hour lunch taken (or at least subtracted) that would be a 9 hour day, 6 PM would be 10.

Later on, we'd get "authorized" to only take a half hour lunch. That was QUICKLY replaced with more work.

Then, supposedly after about 10 years on the DIAD, UPS claimed they'd been paying us to much bonus due to I.E. not remembering to change the allowance from the more generous paper allowance we got when we actually wrote 9 + digit package numbers on a 50 line sheet.

That also QUICKLY resulted in more work being dispatched. Production tanked, grievances increased.

With the addition of the preload, then EDD then ORION, the start time changed to 9AM. The airplane was late virtually 4 days a week, and that increased the hours and further tanked production.

Days now and routinely after 8PM all year long and it's not uncommon to have a few 9,10 or 11 PM punches.

In summary; is technology helping? Not everywhere.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our initial percentage was 85%. EDD was crammed down our throats pretty hard and fast here thanks to our district manager who was worried about WHEN it would be implemented instead of it being ready to be implemented. It's been 10 years and we still haven't had anyone finish our DOLs. But it's not like us drivers didn't try and help. Our DPSs and OCSs simply refused to cooperate. I gave up on trying to fix DOLs years ago.

The ORION team told us that ORION wouldn't work if our DOLs weren't right. But they implemented it anyway even though practically every driver in the center expressed concern. Now the rumor is that once every center in an ORION team's area has went live they'll have to go back to each center that's having problems to take a look at their DOLs. That's FREAKIN hilarious. LOL.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I called in sick when my route had its ORION ride and I just turn on RDO every day. Never even look at it, and I've never heard a peep about it.

Turns out though, since our ORION miles are posted every morning, that I'm usually around 88-90% and within 2 or 3 miles of the "solution"...so I guess that's good? I don't really care

By The Book

Yep, we were expected to hit 85% also. There was even a sheet posted every morning with the percentages we ran the previous day.

My goal was to always hit the lowest percentage I could. Best (worst;)) I ever did was 30%.
That would be real tough to do, if your dol was anywhere close. Isn't that kind of our argument of why our Orion percentage is so hard to attain is because our dol is screwed up?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How long has Orion been live in your building? Did your recent surgery help you make the decision as well? You shouldn't have too much shock in the take home pay department?

Orion and my recent surgery had little to do with the decision. I am just finding it much more difficult to get motivated to go to work each and every day.

I work very little to no OT but will still have to make some minor adjustments to ensure that my take home pay stays about where it is now.

I have two years left before I am eligible to retire. My hope is that I will like this job to the point where I will work beyond my retirement date and that the adjustments to our pension, if any, will be minimal. Time will tell.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That would be real tough to do, if your dol was anywhere close. Isn't that kind of our argument of why our Orion percentage is so hard to attain is because our dol is screwed up?

Easy. Run a rural route backwards after air and a few businesses, and your trace goes in the toilet.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
No. I will be making $28.84/hr with a raise to $29.24/hr August 1st. That is just under $4/hr less than what I am making now (we diverted some of our raises to the pension under the previous contract).

Where does that wage come from, is it a progression from where you left off (presumably) years ago in the hub?

Just curious how this works.