Was I unreasonable?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I disagree. I have been told that they will not install the beepers as they feel we would tend to rely upon the beepers and not be as aware during the back.
And you believed that lame excuse? Instead they would rather have us beep our horn every 5 to 8 seconds? Somehow that isn't a physical or mental distraction during a backing maneuver? It's about cost, as always. At UPS, when you hear the word safety, substitute for it the word money and you'll have a better understanding of task at hand.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, I do. Backup beepers tend to blend in with other noise while our horns tend to stand out. I also believe that it keeps us aware during the back rather than relying upon the beepers.

bigbrownhen

It was not up to the OP on whether the truck was safe to operate. Write up the camera a safety to cover your own backside, and let the ones who are paid to make those decisions make it. I.E. Supervisors and mechanics. Most likely if the truck was needed, then it would be rolling with managements approval. All backsides covered.

As for the cameras, they are very useful. I am certain they have prevented several accidents. Not to mention, all those rotten kids who think it is funny to try and ride on the back of your trucks. I have personally caught kids more than once. Either chasing the truck too close or trying to ride on the back. The cameras have been well worth the investment.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, I do. Backup beepers tend to blend in with other noise while our horns tend to stand out. I also believe that it keeps us aware during the back rather than relying upon the beepers.
Oh please, give me a break.
The sound could be whatever audible sound they chose.
It doesn't have to be a "beep" as you suggest, although that sound is pretty much universal to mean something is backing up.
I don't see what enviroment a backing beeper would "blend in".
Having the additional physical motion of "beeping" the horn is an added distraction from such things as checking mirrors and the monitor all the while turning the steering wheel with one hand instead of two.
Aware during backing, not sure what you mean?
Never heard somebody say, "I didn't realize I was in reverse".
That arguement is ludicris.
It's about the money, it's always about the money.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Um, I don't believe the DVIR should be signed off a safety related. The camera, like Upstate said, is not at all required to operate the vehicle safely! That is the point; not that the rear view camera is a safety item or not (it is), however it is not a NECESSARY safety tool. I rarely if ever use the rear cam; mostly when changing lanes on the highway, more than backing!

Blizzard

And you believed that lame excuse? Instead they would rather have us beep our horn every 5 to 8 seconds? Somehow that isn't a physical or mental distraction during a backing maneuver? It's about cost, as always. At UPS, when you hear the word safety, substitute for it the word money and you'll have a better understanding of task at hand.

Its a real concern when we come up with band aids like back up cameras and beepers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Geez...Hike up your skirts....When in doubt , walk it out....We drove w/o back up camera's for years.... all of a sudden our back up camera's become your security blanket...pleeezz... I know for sure our mechanic would red tag that big bertha for the duration it took for the parts to arrive if it was written up as safety issue, and believe me, it wouldn't be his priority to expedite that vehicle back in the line up any time soon...

strongly agree.

brett636

I appreciate all your input on this. I also assumed that if they needed the truck that badly they could get a mechanic to sign off on it as ok to run considering they have done so on much more serious issues in the past(read: leak in air brake system). In the bigger trucks the backup camera for me has proven invaluable in backing up in tight situations although in the smaller trucks I hardly look at them. Especially around my building where parking in some spaces can get real tight. Also I rely on it to know when I've safely passed an other vehicle on the highway. I understand that the feeder guys don't have them, but they are trained to work without them while we are trained to use them as a third mirror. I know I can work without it, but if I had a choice I would rather have it and that package car driver who would have to take it out that day probably wouldn't appreciate the fact that I left him/her without a proper working backup camera.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
So I am covering for one of our air shuttle drivers while they are on vacation, and on my back to the building my rear view camera decides it no longer wants to work. I write it up and put it under "safety" on the DVIR. As usual the two guys who grab these trucks to setup for preload was about to take it when I mentioned the write up. I was promptly told that the rear view camera not working is not a safety issue and that I needed to tear out the DVIR page I already signed and redo it as non safety. I refused as I always viewed a non working rear vision camera as a safety issue(the rear view camera is safety equipment after all right?). I stood my ground and guy doing setup moved on. I realize you can get by without a working rear view camera, but this was a 24 ft. box truck, and I felt it was necessary. Was I being unreasonable denying them the use of this truck over a rear view camera? Is it right for anyone to tell a driver that they need to redo a DVIR because they think the issue isn't safety related?

Do you have a camera in your personal vehicle? If not, do you drive it?
I realize that a PC is much larger and in many different situations than your Ford at home, but I believe that you Drivers are trained whereas you may not be trained on your personal vehicle. Here in NC, there is Driver Education, but it is bare bones minimum for the average teenager

bluehdmc

I appreciate all your input on this. I also assumed that if they needed the truck that badly they could get a mechanic to sign off on it as ok to run considering they have done so on much more serious issues in the past(read: leak in air brake system). In the bigger trucks the backup camera for me has proven invaluable in backing up in tight situations although in the smaller trucks I hardly look at them. Especially around my building where parking in some spaces can get real tight. Also I rely on it to know when I've safely passed an other vehicle on the highway. I understand that the feeder guys don't have them, but they are trained to work without them while we are trained to use them as a third mirror. I know I can work without it, but if I had a choice I would rather have it and that package car driver who would have to take it out that day probably wouldn't appreciate the fact that I left him/her without a proper working backup camera.

I can't
a: believe a mechanic would sign off on a leaking air brake system (an audible air leak is an "out of service" item in a DOT road check)
b: believe a driver driving a vehicle with a leaking air brake system

Do you have a camera in your personal vehicle? If not, do you drive it?
I realize that a PC is much larger and in many different situations than your Ford at home, but I believe that you Drivers are trained whereas you may not be trained on your personal vehicle. Here in NC, there is Driver Education, but it is bare bones minimum for the average teenager

I don't have a camera in my personal vehicle and drive feeders, so don't have a camera there either, but I do have a center rear view mirror in my car and use that in addition to my
2 outside rearview mirrors.

blue efficacy

Brett is unreasonable, the cameras are there as an added tool to assist in performing your job. You should be able to drive the truck safely without it, also.

But this guy is also saying we should impeach Obama with every post he makes. So he knows a thing or two about being unreasonable.

Rebrak24

Why were they installed in the first place? It is a safety issue. After months of paying attention to one while driving, you then start to glance up for no reason, out of habit, when they do malfunction.