Was/Is This Necessary?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stevetheupsguy, Sep 3, 2010.

1. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Look at the last paragraph of the link I am posting. Was the last line necessary? What does the last line have to do with the preceding article? For those of you that don't feel like clicking the link, I've pasted the article below the link. I've also highlighted the portion in question.

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones is "furious" that doctors failed to diagnose her husband, actor Michael Douglas's throat cancer earlier, she said in an interview published Thursday.
    But Douglas himself, who this week revealed that his cancer was more advanced than previously thought, vowed to overcome the disease, telling People magazine: "I'll beat this."
    Douglas, 65, only recently revealed his diagnosis when he returned to the United States from a family holiday. This week he said it was a stage four cancer, but that he had an 80 percent chance of beating it.
    But British actress Zeta-Jones, who married Douglas in 2000, voiced anger that his chances of beating the cancer are reduced because it was only diagnosed three weeks ago.
    He had spent months seeking a cause for persistent throat and ear pain, before a walnut-sized tumor was discovered on the base of his tongue in early August, the couple said.
    "He sought every option and nothing was found. I knew something was up. He knew something was up," Zeta-Jones told the US weekly, adding: "It makes me furious they didn't detect it earlier."
    Douglas was more philosophical about how soon he was diagnosed, saying: "Without having to blame anybody... these things sometimes just don't show up."
    And he was upbeat about his chances of overcoming it. "I'm treating this as a curable disease," he said. "It's a fight. I'll beat this."
    Douglas is a pillar of Hollywood, having starred in more than 40 films, including such hits as "Fatal Attraction" (1988), "Wall Street" (1988), "War of the Roses" (1990), "Basic Instinct" (1992) and "Traffic" (2001).
    Douglas's latest film, the sequel to the 1987 box office hit "Wall Street" called "The Money Never Sleeps," directed by Oliver Stone, is due to hit movie theaters in the United States later this month.
    Douglas has a son from an earlier marriage, Cameron Douglas, who was sentenced in April to five years in prison for drug-trafficking.

2. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

It appears you are prejudiced against drug-traffickers and people who have been in prison.
    Maybe you should try to be more tolerant.

3. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Consider the source....AFP....That's an international news, so they will report all they can about the bio for Michael Douglas for the international readers who might not know who he is (like if they live under a rock!)

Aside from your question.....Apparently Mr. Douglas had symptoms and complaints and doctors found nothing for months. We sometimes sit back and think that the stars have the very best doctors and best care.......but guess what ? Cancer will show up whenever. It doesn't necessarily mean his doctors aren't sharp......it is what it is. I sure wish him luck in his chemo & radiation. I hope he beats it !!!

4. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

fixed it for ya.

I hope he beats the cancer, as well. I'm adding him to the ever growing prayer list.

Aside from the cancer, I think it's so wrong when a reporter throws a "fact" like this into a story. He's got stage 4 cancer, and btw, his son is a convicted drug addict. It's simply shameful.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Shameful sells papers.

6. Monkey Butt

So does Tony on the corner.

7. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

+1, there you go.

8. moreluck

Tony One-Eye or Tony the Trigger ??

9. Monkey Butt

TOE

10. moreluck

Oh yeah, the ex football player....nice guy!

[video=youtube;7yl3UMO-TkE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yl3UMO-TkE[/video]

11. tieguy

tieguy Banned

I dont particularly like or dislike Mike douglas. For his sake I hope he beats the cancer but I'm not going to pray for him. It would be an insult to the concept of prayer to pray for someone who has led such a pivledged life when there are so many in this world that have endured so much more and are in need of all the help they can get. Pray for the guy on the street corner begging for your change and talking to himself. He needs it much more then Mike D.

better yet lets take this lunacy to its fullest and say **** the guy on the corner while we pray for silver spoon in his mouth Mike D.

12. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

In less time than it took to type out that post, you could have said a prayer for Mike D as well as one for the guy on the street corner.

Just sayin' (a prayer for Mike D and a guy on the street corner)

13. tieguy

tieguy Banned

coommenting on the point the rich guy you see on tv will get the prayer while we drive by the guy on the corner and never see him. Noteriety and privledge tend to garner prayers for those who have had an easier life.

14. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I would suggest that praying for either only makes you feel better.

15. Monkey Butt

We all can use a prayer regardless of our status amongst men ... in God's "eyes" we are all the same.

16. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

17. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

So god needs glasses like Mr. Magoo, got it.

Anyways, more on topic, can't say Mr. Douglas is familiar to me by name. Either way, here's the hope that he gets well. And at the same time, here's hoping all illness gets better in the world.

18. moreluck

You say a prayer for a cure for cancer and you cover several bases (people)

19. tieguy

tieguy Banned

my point was not on the need for prayer or that we should pray for everyone. My point was that mr. Douglasses fame will get him more prayers where the guy sleeping next to the steam vent needs it more.

my first post to that point may have been kleined a little bit.:happy-very:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  20. tieguy

tieguy Banned

god supplied william saletin with his sense of humor and encouraged him to use it.