Was the company still profitable on Friday?

PT Car Washer

Was the company still profitable on Friday?

Yes probably if not no big deal, according to the annual report in 2013 they made nearly 12 million dollars a day in profit everyday on average...I think the union should be able to negotiate us a better raise or profit sharing, if they can afford to pay basically $100 an hour on black Friday they can pay $40 an hour every other day.
Or pay PTers more then minimum wage and minimum hours.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
IMO we'll see more volume than most of us would expect tomorrow. It used to be that cyber monday triggered the volume, but a bunch of businesses were offering black friday deals online. Additionally stuff would usually be "stuck in the pipeline" a couple of extra days due to inside employees not working sorts, however hubs ran sorts on friday so a bunch of stuff got moved that normally would not have.
Plus as trailers trickle in this morning hauling tuesday's work...they're unloading them and advancing us work. Heavy as hell.

bbsam

Staff member
In years past it was only air products that were delivered and operating costs were much lower. This year it was a regular day and, due to contractual language, operating costs were much, much higher ($130M just in overtime). Did we lose money? Short term--yes. Long term---working Black Friday clearly showed our willingness to do what it takes to get the job done.
May have shown willingness for one day. The bar 8s now set very, very high for the next 25 days.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The big variable that they can't plan for is weather. With all their technology and infrastructure improvements, an ice storm in the south or a blizzard in the north will really gum up the works.

P

pickup

It was probably a good idea to clean up on Friday. A lot of businesses were closed yes but at least all the resies got out instead of backed up for Monday. I don't think Monday should be too bad really. I think it will be kinda heavy with send agains but Tuesday will be pretty heavy but I think wed to Friday were going to get absolutely crushed lol. Just my opinion that's all. :dont_know:

Were we profitable on this day after Thanksgiving? I can say with all honesty , I don't know. I can say with all certainty , less so than usual.

I agree with Jumpman, it was a good idea to clean up on Friday. And when this was planned, no one knew what the weather conditions would be like. Was it last year that Dallas got smacked by a small winter storm that crippled operations? Also last winter was terrible and screwed up operations nationwide. I know in New jersey, weather hasn't been a factor so it was smooth sailing in Feeders but we cleaned out a lot of stuff that would have made the extra Sunday (yesterday) more difficult. Instead Sunday was also smooth sailing.

What about other parts of the country? Were there ones where weather had things backed up and the extra working day helped out tremendously?

Basically, UPS paid a premium to hire an experienced work force for a day. Maybe UPS lost money on that day . But if you spread the cost over the peak season, it might be profitable in many ways.

Anyways, the toilet had some crap in it, it's been flushed and more readily able to handle the crap coming its way than it would have otherwise had it not been flushed on Black Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
one of the few times I agree with the companies decision to work full force on Friday. it's being proactive instead of reactive.

we seem to be doing that more and more lately. is it because of our new leadership or that maybe UPS is starting to learn from mistakes.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
All working Friday has done is CUT routes Monday. We started at 8 am. Will finish around 8 pm. It didn't seem to help. Tomorrow will tell how prepared management really is. I'd bet against it

HBGPreloader

At 2x the regular pay and holiday pay on top of that, I'm sure UPS paid dearly for making union employees work on Friday.

However, with billions in profits last year, they could afford it because it was only about appeasing Amazon.

The real question is how much more will they continue to pay for this decision because, when I started at midnight this morning, my 3 trucks were still ~1/3 full from send agains missed on Friday. And, it took me more than an hour and a half just to clean up that mess.

I ended up working more than 7 hours on what should have been a ~5 hour day. And, the drivers said they will be working ~11+ hours when they normally work their 9.5.

LKLND3380

respectfully disagree. it doesn't matter if we made or lost money on Friday. we serviced the customer and that is what mattered to our customers.

We have gone how many years with Black Friday being a holiday and volunteer work? Customers never felt shorted... Now the Post Office is running Sundays, how long before UPS jumps on that train?

joeboodog

Working Black Friday was a joke. Got double slammed with businesses and most of my residential are repeaters. We will see what happens to day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Working Black Friday was a joke. Got double slammed with businesses and most of my residential are repeaters. We will see what happens to day.

The drivers I spoke to yesterday morning were split 50/50 as to whether working Black Friday helped or not. I do know that it helped on my route as the only business that was closed received all of their packages yesterday and I will start today all caught up. Walmart and the college receiving deliveries helped quite a bit.

joeboodog

The drivers I spoke to yesterday morning were split 50/50 as to whether working Black Friday helped or not. I do know that it helped on my route as the only business that was closed received all of their packages yesterday and I will start today all caught up. Walmart and the college receiving deliveries helped quite a bit.
I spent my morning driving from one empty parking lot to another sheeting packages that weren't pulled CLO H.

cheeks

If UPS thought they would lose money. They would not have done it. When we go to work Monday, especially Tuesday. It will look like we never touched a box on Friday. I still think it was a waste of my day.
My monday was under 9 and today , well someone had to eff up. I had half my regular dispatch and was done delivering before my lunch. (between 3rd and 6th hr.)