Was told I am fired. What do I do?

corrado5

I am (or technically was) a casual driver. I started about 3 weeks ago and have only been on the road by myself about 7 times since they only have me come in 2-3 days a week. My route is known to be a :censored2:ty route by all the drivers. It has been getting extremely bad preloads. Several misloads and several offroutes a day. Also adding stops that aren't normally on route. The EDD is also a disaster and has me doing stops that require me to drive back and forth constantly because the stops are grouped horribly. Basically management has been on my ass about picking up the pace. In the morning I always have to deliver airs that are so far apart that I barely get them done by 10:30.

Anyways, Wednesday was so messed up and I was so far behind that on Thursday my supervisor told me that his boss wanted me gone. However he mentioned that he would explain how it was a bad day and that I can do way better. I had only 22 stops completed by 12:00 due to a completely full car and bulk packages (the fulltime drivers who saw the car were surprised that they put me with so much). Normally I average about 25 per hour. There were about 170 stops for the day and to make things worse my bulkhead door would jam on the track at every stop, the car would take about 15 seconds to start up at all times, and mgmt sent out, at separate times, 3 drivers to take some of the stops off me. (I had to wait about 15 mins each time a driver met me and they each would take only 10 stops worth. Seems kind of stupid because I could have delivered most of those within 25 mins since they were all grouped together.)

I called this morning to see if they needed me today and one of the supervisors just tells me on the phone "We aren't going to be needing your services anymore. Your production rate is too slow. No worries, we just hired new casuals and are going to stick with them and run them through the mill. If you could return your uniform today that would be great."

I told him I would go to the center on Monday to return my uniform. I was hoping that the weekend would give me time to figure this out. Is there any way to fight this? Is there a time frame in which you must be notified of termination and not just one day? Any advice would be great.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I am (or technically was) a casual driver. I started about 3 weeks ago and have only been on the road by myself about 7 times since they only have me come in 2-3 days a week. My route is known to be a :censored2:ty route by all the drivers. It has been getting extremely bad preloads. Several misloads and several offroutes a day. Also adding stops that aren't normally on route. The EDD is also a disaster and has me doing stops that require me to drive back and forth constantly because the stops are grouped horribly. Basically management has been on my ass about picking up the pace. In the morning I always have to deliver airs that are so far apart that I barely get them done by 10:30.

Anyways, Wednesday was so messed up and I was so far behind that on Thursday my supervisor told me that his boss wanted me gone. However he mentioned that he would explain how it was a bad day and that I can do way better. I had only 22 stops completed by 12:00 due to a completely full car and bulk packages (the fulltime drivers who saw the car were surprised that they put me with so much). Normally I average about 25 per hour. There were about 170 stops for the day and to make things worse my bulkhead door would jam on the track at every stop, the car would take about 15 seconds to start up at all times, and mgmt sent out, at separate times, 3 drivers to take some of the stops off me. (I had to wait about 15 mins each time a driver met me and they each would take only 10 stops worth. Seems kind of stupid because I could have delivered most of those within 25 mins since they were all grouped together.)

I called this morning to see if they needed me today and one of the supervisors just tells me on the phone "We aren't going to be needing your services anymore. Your production rate is too slow. No worries, we just hired new casuals and are going to stick with them and run them through the mill. If you could return your uniform today that would be great."

I told him I would go to the center on Monday to return my uniform. I was hoping that the weekend would give me time to figure this out. Is there any way to fight this? Is there a time frame in which you must be notified of termination and not just one day? Any advice would be great.
It's time to seek employment elsewhere...

Indecisi0n

You're a temporary employee. They can get rid of you for anything (and make up BS).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

No, they don't have to give you notice. Happy Trails!

corrado5

Yeah that's what I figured. Seeing as there is nothing I can do, on to the next one. Thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated!

TG43

I can relate. When your truck is over full it's very time consuming and frustrating finding packages. It doesn't sound like they set you up to succeed. That's how they operate. 170 stops when your learning is too much imo. I get my air done by the skin of my teeth every day pretty much. You can skip some ground to make sure you make service on air but then it makes the day even longer going back to deliver the ground stops. Nice they let you know after YOU called THEM...they couldn't even take 2 minutes of their time (typical) to sit down and explain their reasoning. What cowards. Well, I really think it will work out for the best for you. It's really not a big loss. I've been here over a year and it certainly hasn't gotten better. I don't like working til 8 personally though. I'm hoping like hell to find something else before winter. Good luck to you.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
They're idiots. They spend all that money training people then load them up to where they can't even run, let alone learn it right. I guess ORION took too much out of the on-road training budget.

By The Book

To me it almost sounds like a calculated business decision. Hire these guys with no intention of keeping them, with the exception being the ones who are the elite. It's a set up the training stinks.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
To me it almost sounds like a calculated business decision. Hire these guys with no intention of keeping them, with the exception being the ones who are the elite. It's a set up the training stinks.
Elite meaning total runner gunners who would never take lunch or grieve.

moldsporh

How is this contract written? Usually it's first day is 6 hrs plan with sup, then 8 hrs plan with sup. Then 6 hrs plan solo, then 8hrs plan solo.

If that's still the method then you may have a chance....I'm not sure though.

corrado5

How is this contract written? Usually it's first day is 6 hrs plan with sup, then 8 hrs plan with sup. Then 6 hrs plan solo, then 8hrs plan solo.

If that's still the method then you may have a chance....I'm not sure though.
I had about 4, 8-hr days worth of riding along with my sup (only 110 stops, would return to center at 18:30) and then when I started going alone they upped the stop count to 160-180. I was still on the road at 21:00 and they would give me hell for it. I honestly feel like they planned this out. If my supervisor does an 8 hour day on the same route with 110 stops, how did they expect me to do 180 in the same time?

trickpony1

If my supervisor does an 8 hour day on the same route with 110 stops, how did they expect me to do 180 in the same time?

That is a good question.
I'm not sure who, if anyone, you could pose that question to.
Being you were in your probation period and knowing the company will use people and then kick them to the curb, you may be SOL.