"Was you knockin' on my door?!" Daily Rant

upschuck

Never heard them described as "routes" in 20 years. We have "trips", and that's what we bid every January when the center manager calls us into his office and says "Are you staying on your trip, or bidding a different one?" Different strokes for different folks, but some retiree calling me a troll? Looks like my Ignore List just added a guy with seniority. People need to realize that there are different phrases and words used throughout the country to describe the same thing. Whatever you call it wherever you work, it just might be different somewhere else. .02
You bid routes/trips every year? Wow, I kinda like that. They do that in our feeder dept, but not PC. Do you like that, or is there a lot of jumping ship going on...Just curious. I imagine not since people don't like change.

Marne Vet

You bid routes/trips every year? Wow, I kinda like that. They do that in our feeder dept, but not PC. Do you like that, or is there a lot of jumping ship going on...Just curious. I imagine not since people don't like change.

How it used to work was that we would bid on a trip, and you would stay on your trip until bids went up the following January. Now Management uses a new language to tell us that we're only bidding on a start time, and that we are picking a "preferred trip" to run. It's their way of bumping guys and saying "Hey, he's still starting at 0830 like he bid", but it's all BS. Luckily we have a very good center manager that comes from the old school days, and he doesn't like bumping guys off their trips unless it's an absolute emergency. A lot of rookies still go out cold to ensure the senior drivers don't get screwed over. I like the way they try to stay true to that mentality.

didyousheetit

In the hood around here, after you knock somebody always says...WHOOOO? Its UPS....WHOOO? Its UPS....WHOOO? I HAVE A DE-LIV-ERY for you.
Or the best is after you already filled out the delivery notice and are walking back to the car when they come to the door. I KNOW they were waiting to see if i would leave the package without a signature.
And what is it with houses that have 3, 4, and even 5 doorbells. How the hell am i supposed to know which one to push.
Say ups once, if they ask who again say mailman works almost every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using BrownCafe mobile app

oldngray

nowhere special
Here you bid a route and its yours for good. UPS tried to change the definition of it from a route number to a position in a loop so they could claim they could change the work on the route. But if over 50% of the route changes you can follow the work because that is what you bid on regardless of what they want to call it.

Marne Vet

Our routes are bid for life. Or until someone leaves, dies or retires. Then there are three bids and the 4th is assigned to stop the bidding.

That's crazy. I like the yearly bids because if you have enough seniority you can almost always keep your trip. Most of us that get on a trip for a few years would rather re-bid it every year if possible because learning a new one blows. Low guys on the totem pole get bumped or don't have bids and have to float daily. We also have what we call 3 Floater bids, with the Top Floater being able to choose his trip over the other two guys daily. Does that ever happen? haha nope. Top Floater is just another driver without his own trip, but they give him a cool name so he feels better about himself for a few weeks before he realizes he got screwed. hahaha

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
That's crazy. I like the yearly bids because if you have enough seniority you can almost always keep your trip. Most of us that get on a trip for a few years would rather re-bid it every year if possible because learning a new one blows. Low guys on the totem pole get bumped or don't have bids and have to float daily. We also have what we call 3 Floater bids, with the Top Floater being able to choose his trip over the other two guys daily. Does that ever happen? haha nope. Top Floater is just another driver without his own trip, but they give him a cool name so he feels better about himself for a few weeks before he realizes he got screwed. hahaha
I wouldn't feel too happy if someone called me a floater

PT Car Washer

Not sure about the cool name. Ours are called cover drivers. FT drivers just do not have a bid. Some have enough seniority to bid a route but I guess they like doing something different all the time.

gingerkat

Marne, I guess I'm surprised at you because of your military background. You of all people should know that people are poor in certain parts of the country and have a lesser chance of schooling, etc. Money really does make the world go round.

Being a military brat, I too have lived in many areas of the U.S., including the Blue Ridge Mountains of WV. Those are some very poor people that have to give up school to work. I'm sure many of them would have a different life had they been born somewhere else.

Marne Vet

Marne, I guess I'm surprised at you because of your military background. You of all people should know that people are poor in certain parts of the country and have a lesser chance of schooling, etc. Money really does make the world go round.

Being a military brat, I too have lived in many areas of the U.S., including the Blue Ridge Mountains of WV. Those are some very poor people that have to give up school to work. I'm sure many of them would have a different life had they been born somewhere else.

Bull:censored2:. I grew-up less than a 1/4 mile from my area, and went to the same schools these dopes went to. I won't accept excuses. I wasn't rich, and know what a hand-me-down is. Anyone blaming their financial situations with their ignorance is lazy. Unacceptable. I've met people that can't afford heat that are as articulate as Walt Whitman when they speak. No excuses for ANYONE in this neighborhood.

Marne Vet

So you think everyone should be just like you? Interesting

No, I didn't say or imply that. What I said is that I won't accept the excuse that because someone is poor is the reason they're ignorant. That's unacceptable, and an apologist approach to this section of society. I see poor people every day. I mean, really poor. No door on their homes poor, in these freezing temps. Some of them homeschool their kids, and many of them are very intelligent, and articulate a conversation like they're reading a teleprompter. Lack of income versus an education is complete BS. I went to the same free public schools for half of my life these people my age [here] went to. You either decide to learn, or you decide to use your situation as an excuse to remain ignorant.

gingerkat

I see and hear your frustration daily, but you will never change people. Some people are born into a family like that and don't know how to change and others just don't care.

This is off topic, but seriously dude you need to calm yourself. This job isn't going to get any easier, especially the way management runs things. The bigger better UPS is going to get bigger but not better. You've come too far to find yourself in a deep hole.

Go get a beer, yes?

Marne Vet

I see and hear your frustration daily, but you will never change people. Some people are born into a family like that and don't know how to change and others just don't care.

This is off topic, but seriously dude you need to calm yourself. This job isn't going to get any easier, especially the way management runs things. The bigger better UPS is going to get bigger but not better. You've come too far to find yourself in a deep hole.

Go get a beer, yes?

I'm completely calm. My rants make me laugh as I type them out and share them with others. I'm the guy that can have an accident, crap myself, and be completely embarrassment free and tell everyone around me. My blood pressure doesn't spike at work, or when I come [here] to "vent". I would use the term venting very lightly. Tomorrow night I'll be tonsil deep in some German beers, but it's not because I had a rough day/week. It's because I love me some great tasting beers! I choose to work in the hood. It's the trip I bid. I could easily work in a better area, but then I'd have to learn a new area, and we all know how much that sucks. Plus, it would be really boring. I have a very thick skin, so this work related "frustration" as you put it rolls off me like rain on Gortex. I'll take an inside bid within the next few years, and retire a fat former package car driver that hauls Over Seventies from Point A to Point B. haha. Relax, this isn't actually getting to me. ;)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Marne with your numerous threads about horrible helpers and customers, I foresee a stroke or major illness. Can I interest you in a critical illness policy? lol

You might want to figure out how to get that anger out before going out in the job place:consoling:
Does seem somewhat confrontational.

Marne Vet

Does seem somewhat confrontational.

Polar opposite in the flesh. First guy to volunteer to help another, and go above and beyond to take care of my helpers. Now what I won't stand for are lazy turds, or lazy people in general. Then I have no problem speaking my mind. Uncle Sam trained me that way. Some take it as confrontational. Others see it for what it is, and just a guy that doesn't like bulli:censored2:. I'm not a farmer, or into poop fetishes, so if you're full of :censored2: I'll probably point it out. Confrontational? Only if you want to get into a confrontation with a confident individual I suppose.

JL 0513

Why is it called a "trip" where you are Marne Vet, that doesn't make any sense. I know you can't answer that, I'm asking rhetorically. The definition of the word "trip" is totally different to "route", which is in fact what we are bidding on, routes. Why not just call your route a "vacation" or a "journey". Same with floater. I think your center is the only one in the country to use these terms. It's "cover driver" everywhere else.

As for the other topic, the way people speak in "the hood". We all know it's a cultural act.

Not saying we all need to speak similarly but the reality is that most African-Americans continue to have a distinct dialect, white's their own, and so on. Even though we all live among each other. People talk the way they choose to talk. Some African Americans talk without the common dialect, particularly those in professional positions. Then you have Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson who clearly exaggerate their dialect. It's an act. Just as an overly flamboyant gay man exaggerates the way he talks. It's all an act. Funny how their speech completely changes the day they "come out".

Yes, there are legitimate accents, and then their are cultural dialects that are consciously exaggerated. Those in the hood are among them. If they chose to not speak or act the way they do, they could drag themselves out of the hood with a decent job. That's right, I said it.

If you have a problem with this post, too bad.